How do you fly your gyro? Around the patch or Cross Country??

How do you fly your gyro? Around the patch or Cross Country??

• I just crow hop. Maybe more later!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just fly the pattern, that is fine for me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I fly in the vicinity of the airport only

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I take excursions but return to the same airport

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • I have been known to fly short cross countries

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I been known to fly LONG cross countries (50+miles)

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • I regularly fly short and long cross countries

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I mostly fly to another airport before returning

• Same as option 8 & I sometimes take LONG trips

• I am like A.Keech or R.Dublin, flyin 1000+ mile trips

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
Inspired by the "Budget" thread...

Lets see how some of us are using our gyroplanes!

Good thinking, Tim!

When the time comes that I can honestly answer that poll ... I hope to be able to say that most of my first 100 hours were within 50 miles of the home field. And after that - it was an endless series of short xc flights.

Tom

My vote is inspired by current ability and bias. I am a "cross-country" kinda guy, so it follows as my skill level in gyros and equipment expands, so will my range.

I would also like to point out the deficiency in the poll, as it lacks a selection for "return to the same cow pasture or airport alternative."

*JC*

I take excursions but return to the same airport, at this time. I will soon be taking my next step in flying the gyro and going to another airport which is 35 miles away. Then again to another airport which is 60 miles away and so on and so on. Till I can get to all the airports here in Southern California, like I do in my FW.

I hope to get my other gyro rebuilt to an ultralight status and fly it only in the deserts.

I like a mix of around the patch landing-honing-exercises, short XC's (100 miles) and long trips (500+ miles). -- Chris.

My vote is inspired by current ability and bias. I am a "cross-country" kinda guy, so it follows as my skill level in gyros and equipment expands, so will my range.

I would also like to point out the deficiency in the poll, as it lacks a selection for "return to the same cow pasture or airport alternative."

*JC*

Dang, caught by the STOLPC police!

(Short Take Off and Landing Politically Correct)

Time under the belt.

Time under the belt.

Tim,

I think any of us that have any amount of time under out belt prob... do a few long CC's during the year but burn off a lot of time chasing the local scenery close to home.

I did not see an option for that one.

Just my thoughts.

J

Tim,

I think any of us that have any amount of time under out belt prob... do a few long CC's during the year but burn off a lot of time chasing the local scenery close to home.

I did not see an option for that one.

Just my thoughts.

J

Good point.

The only thing that limits the distance of my cross countries is how much premixed 2 cycle fuel I can carry. Maybe a collapsable gas can and a few extra quarts of oil will make me go farther... or finding someone to drive a chase vehicle... or a switch to a 4 cycle powerplant... Uh oh. That was an expensive idea... maybe I'll keep that one to myself!

272 views, 43 votes and no votes for crow hops and the pattern and only 2 for around the patch...

This is an anonymous poll guys! PLEASE VOTE! :)

I still do crow hops (lots and lots), and still fly the pattern (also lots and lots), but I am getting around a little. I look at them (crow hops and pattern work) as a necessary evil. Weeks ago, that was all I did, but it was certainly not all I aspired to do. Left turns may be great for NASCAR enthusiasts, but my right rudder gets lonely.

*JC*

I hear you JC!

One thing interesting about gyro flight is that even after 370 hours I still enjoy flying the pattern!

I have yet to enjoy flying the pattern in a FW!

I hear you JC!

One thing interesting about gyro flight is that even after 370 hours I still enjoy flying the pattern!

I have yet to enjoy flying the pattern in a FW!

Tim, your doing it wrong?
Who's fault is that, for not making it fun not the poor FW aircraft, your the pilot, it does what you say.

Here's how I do it:
1) Enter way, way to high!!
2) Wait way to long to start your decent!
3) Cut power! (Don't touch that!!!)
4) Totally cross control the aircraft into a slip (crab). Right rudder to the floor, left ailerons almost to the stop.
5) Pin point landings right on the beginning of the numbers and then soft-field landing and try and stop at the end of the numbers.

Gives a whole new meaning landing on the numbers, done it several times with a 20+ knot headwind in Cessna 150’s, and once in a Piper Turbo Arrow.

Then the next time you cross control the other way bury the Left rudder.

Always great fun, to me!!!

PS:
Passengers that are not pilots don't seem to enjoy it for some unknown reason to me!

PS,PS:
Oh and have done it for real (engine out) in more than one farmers field too, this is when it pays off as you can put it anywhere you want. Actually it's much harder to take off than land. But that's another long story.

Last edited:
John,

I am trying to achieve a Zen experience not Dante's 3rd level!! ;)

When you ask a FW pilot to land on the numbers they reply: "OK" (at best).

When you ask a gyro pilot to land on the numbers they reply: "Ok, Which number?"

I also like flying the pattern in my FW its a lot of fun practicing your techniques.

I really don't like flying the pattern in the gyro as much as the FW. I guess because I am not totally comfortable with other aircraft flying in the pattern with me in the gyro, I also see their are not comfortable with me either.

In the FW you know your place in the pattern, in the gyro I am still working that out and its not a good mix so far.

John,

I am trying to achieve a Zen experience not Dante's 3rd level!! ;)

When you ask a FW pilot to land on the numbers they reply: "OK" (at best).

When you ask a gyro pilot to land on the numbers they reply: "Ok, Which number?"

I'm playing with you.
But which number do you, want me to land on?
Trying is most of the fun.

PS:
"not Dante's 3rd level!!"
Still laughing!!

Last edited:
Tina,

I spend A LOT of time in patterns with FWs.

Do you fly lower in and in the same direction as FW traffic?

Do you use the radio to announce position?

I find that when I am comfortable with the FW traffic they are comfortable we me also.

(With the exception of student pilots, who are uncomfortable with anything else in the pattern..)

The airport I am based at has several FW schools (including a local collage), a helicopter school and a warbirds museum. In addition to this the world famous pilot shop Sporty's is here and they give away free hotdogs every Saturday which draws in everything from small jets to piper cubs and ultralights.

It's fantastic exposure and I was a bit intimidated when I fist moved here. I actually used to wait until the pattern died down before flying. I would not dream of that now. I love to jump into the mix.

Here is a GREAT FAA circular:

Traffic Patterns for Rotorcraft at Non-Towered Airports

http://gyrowiki.com/Shared Documents/Forms/DispForm.aspx?ID=678

Here are some of my favorite passages:

e. The FAA encourages pilots to use the standard
traffic pattern. However, for those pilots who choose
to execute a straight-in approach, maneuvering for
and execution of the approach should be completed
so as not to disrupt the flow of arriving and
departing traffic. Therefore,p ilots operating in the
traffic pattern should be alert at all times to
aircraft executing straight-in approaches.

(3) In the case of a gyrocopter approaching
to land, the pilot should avoid the flow of fixed-wing
aircraft until turning final for the active runway.
(4) A helicopter operating in the traffic pattern
may .fly a pattern similar to the airplane pattern
at a lower altitude (500 AGL) and closer to
the airport.

They mention that some helicopters may fly a pattern opposite of the FW pattern.

I strongly disagree with doing that. I have found that this confuses FW pilots, they have a hard time finding you, determining who is in what position in the pattern and worst of all when some FW decides to fly UPWIND or does a go around you will be in for a head-on with that FW.

I have found that flying the standard pattern but inside and at 1/2 pattern altitude works out best by far (as recommended by FAA circular AC No.90-66A).

This way even though you are slower then the fW traffic you move at about the same pace, you are easier to see, they won't mow you over from behind, things seem more 'normal' to the FW pilots and you don't have to worry about FW traffic using the up-wind leg or doing a go-around and flying in your face.

Using the radio on every leg as well as when approaching the pattern does wonders for making everything comfortable and smooth.

Oh thanks for posting that.
This is the best bunch of people and forum to learn ever!!!!!

Hi Tim,

I fly the gyro in the same direction as the FW's and 500feet-1/2 pattern then then FW traffic and more toward the airport then the FW which is what everyone suggested I do. I also use a radio at all times telling the other pilots where I am at in the pattern.

I asked other pilots are they able to see me in the pattern when flying with them? A few said yes because they know how I fly the pattern now and can find me but still have a hard time spotting me right off. They say it is hard because I am lower and have all this back ground to abstract their view of me but can spot me when looking for those rotors spinning from the ground obstructions. I had some pilots tell me they never seen me. That is a uncomfortable feeling for both me and the other pilots I would say. I am just learning I have to really and I mean really keep my eye out for others. There are some pilots with no radios at my airport with Cubs and smaller ultralight FW.

I know in time I will get more comfortable after all I am a student in a gyro. But for now it really is daunting and I just like to leave the pattern and come back when I hear or see no one is there.