Wheres that moron now?

For my job we are required to have recurring OPITO, HUET and BOSIET training…plenty of dunking and inverting going on. Any pilot would benefit from this training.

http://youtu.be/i7mDmWye4QQ

http://youtu.be/mq9Dtn8ON8s

http://youtu.be/mZGiS8gTuhM

http://youtu.be/dk7LKxM3mqY

These stats show around a 70% survival rate for trained personnel (most already had on their life jackets):

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.214.6414&rep=rep1&type=pdf

It may surprise you but even without an impact many well trained people drown. It’s much more disorienting than you think…and every second counts. You are trained to go by feel and not by sight, because often you can’t see. You should be able to do it with your eyes closed.

Last edited:
Although I've enjoyed flying over stuff like that over 40 years (such as alligator infested swamps), I've only felt fairly comfortable doing it in an AirCam.

Ahh, pussies!
We don't worry about gators, and water and trees.
Figure the crash will kill us anyway.

Guilty as charged…

There are a few things that I consider worth dying for…and a hobby ain’t one of them.

Sorry, Chuck, as I see that could be misinterpreted.
I fly solo unless receiving instruction.
By "we" I meant my brother and those I fly with often.
We fly over admittedly unforgiving but beautiful Florida scenery.
While I try to flit from landing zone to landing zone, if it must be 100%, we couldn't fly in our area, even in the pattern.
More clear?

No worries, I know there is no way we can make it completely safe and through the eyes of a vast majority of people are certain that we are all crazy to expose ourselves to such great risk for such a small (apparent) reward. It's indeed a preposterous hobby and a waste of money and time...from their perspective.

We are like the girls in the scary movies who do some inexplicably dumb stuff.

But somehow we consider that the risk/reward scale leans towards the reward side.

It doesn’t bother me when I see guys doing risky stuff (I enjoy their fun vicariously)…but I do admire them when they take steps to mitigate their risk, like wear a helmet, have shoulder straps, maybe a life jacket over water, etc. This indicates that they made a conscious risk assessment and have some rough probability numbers in their head.

Like another current thread, we are talking about vertical take-off and landings in helicopters. Yes, we can do it, and occasionally do, knowing there is no likely recovery inside the shaded areas of the H/V diagram.

So like we were taught…it’s a helicopter…just keep it to a minimum.

Same as flying low over bad stuff…keep it to a minimum. The odds are greatly improved compared to doing it all the time.

Last edited:
When I was training with Davie...a few years ago, I had asked "what's going to happen if we lose power"?. His reply was " you dont need to worrie about that, we'll get to that when the time comes". So into the back seat I go for my first half hour of the day, got a good wind right down 36 and at about 200ft davie says " Grab the bars I'm in control". He did a complete 180, nosed it to the ground and landed back on the taxiway. BTW, we where well over the woods beyond 36, for those who know. He slapped his leg and told me 2 things. 1. being the number of engine out that had made 2. never to ask about a engine out again. Cluthes in the Herth.

7 years ago Dave gave me my first ride in a gyro. That got me hooked. I would fly anywhere with him.

Thanks Dave

hillberg is the same guy who almost demanded to fly in 30 mph winds because he only had 2 days in fla if so think of your own bad choices if not im sorry but i think your jealous you people with all these ratings are afraid to do anything out of the norm find a rocking chair and aglass of tea and let the boys play

Davie glad your having fun buddy. That's some beautiful water you were flying over. Glad to see you in here finally. Would be fun to fly over there. Have fun and be safe sir.

Super Dave I would stay for awhile give me the address and I'll send you some more beer .
There is a airstrip on just about all those islands I'd fly to them all before I left

Don't let them key board pilots bother you

Have fun.

Guilty as charged…

There are a few things that I consider worth dying for…and a hobby ain’t one of them.

Hi Chuck
But honestly where was he over such terrain that he could not make it to land enough where he could not stand up and be out of water right on his feet. I thought he really was over landable terrain much of the time. For some reason I did not obviously see what some have seen.
BTW, I did glide ratio tests today on the DJ-II. Turned out to be 10.15:1 at 50 mph IAS. Somewhat connected to emergency landing subject.

Ha ha ha

Ha ha ha

Y'all just Mad cause your not there with Davie......
I'm so tickled he's gotten away for a bit of time...

All I can say is if Ya don't like it,,, change the Channel

Dave
Nice flight and what a great video!! You got to love those four strokes for reliability now days, I know I love mine. Please ignore the keyboard slayers, and keep those great videos coming.

I second that Greg. I will ship a few cases of Mich Ultra myself. I'm glad your enjoying yourself Davie, after all you have been through as of late you deserve it buddy. Just give me an address.

Dave I am happy to see you enjoying your self, I would fly anywhere with you with or without a seatbelt, stay safe, have fun.

Norm

Beautiful place to fly. What a better way to see it.
Thanks Dave for the video.

Abid,

I was not referring to the video. Sometimes I’m blocked and can’t “quote”. Today I can. Some pages are blocked too. It's a pain.

My post was in response to the comment about pussies or something.

I was admitting that I consider myself a chicken, but most folks think I’m a crazy nut with giant brass balls. I just don't see myself like that. I try (at least in my own mind) to take a more conservative approach to flying. I’ve seen so so many people get killed and crippled flying over 40 years in flying all aircraft types. Heck I’ve had 6 neighbors in my airpark get killed in four crashes. I live along side of their surviving families. All of these pilots were very good pilots and most A&P mechanics too…but they all got killed. I try to learn from them and the others before them.

As far as the video, I’ve done all that before and probably will again. Agreed, none of it was a big deal. Guys that scare me are the ones who don’t know what they are doing.

Like Chuck Yeager said “The best way to fly safe is to know what the hell you are doing.”

I’m as dangerous and as safe as the average guy I suppose, and am in absolutely no position to preach. That’s not my point. I’m simply trying to share what I know about water egress.

Hi Chuck
But honestly where was he over such terrain that he could not make it to land enough where he could not stand up and be out of water right on his feet. I thought he really was over landable terrain much of the time. For some reason I did not obviously see what some have seen.
BTW, I did glide ratio tests today on the DJ-II. Turned out to be 10.15:1 at 50 mph IAS. Somewhat connected to emergency landing subject.

Last edited: