Near miss?

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Mama Gyro is doing a paper for school on airline safety,
She is having a problem finding out the FAA, or the NTSB classification for "near miss." They mention near miss in every report but we cannot find the actual separation, is it 1000ft? 3500ft? She needs the documentation to back it up, or a quoted source. I have searched the FAA and NTSB sites and have not been able to find it. Thanks.

Doesn't " near miss " mean " nearly missed " .
Which would make it a " hit " ?
I bet Tommy Milton would know .

"Near miss" is the term that is used, even though it technically is not a correct term.

Yeah I know . I just had this conversation with Tommy when I was a kid .
Tommy went to Air Traffic Control School at one time .
Long long time ago .

I'm getting older. I don't remember separation minimums anymore. I know on the radar scope a quarter is placed over the two converging blips. If both come out from under the quarter, separation minimums were maintained.

I think here is where "near miss" got its start ...

All flights are supposed to be "misses" -- aircraft usually miss each other by a "far" margin. When they get really close they are considered a "near miss" ... meaning "They were really close, but we missed em."

If I were defining "near miss" from the very beginning of aviation, I think I would characterize it as, 'a situation in which one or more aircraft had to alter course or altitude to avoid a mid-air collision with another.

Realizing that the term has come to apply to far less foreboding circumstances than my definition, this is what eventuates when no one steps in and nails it down.

Sort of like the differing Navy and Air Force definitions of 'formation flying':

Navy - Two or more aircraft flying smoothly and with precision in close proximity of each other in a prescribed formation regarding each other's position in that formation, and under strict and constant communication and oversight by the designated flight leader.

Air Force - Two or more aircraft traveling in roughly the same direction and at roughly similar altitudes at roughly the time period (or day).

There may come some dissent on these formation definitions if some Air Force puke reads this.........

Last edited:
I have had a near miss incident while in a combat environment.

Flying a UH-1H crossing an active runway at low level with tower control clearance; a fast moving jet fighter was also cleared for climb out at the same time. The jet created wake turbulence at close range enough to cause helicopter to commit to evasive reactions to avoid unforseen causes for flight deviations from either aircraft. The jet was close enough I could see the pilot smiling as he passed front, left to right.

A report was filed, no action taken.

This was a political near miss created in cooperation with the controler and the jet pilot. Air Force and Army often F--- with each other.

Sort of like the differing Navy and Air Force definitions of 'formation flying':

Navy - Two or more aircraft flying smoothly and with precision in close proximity of each other in a prescribed formation regarding each other's position in that formation, and under strict and constant communication and oversight by the designated flight leader.

Air Force - Two or more aircraft traveling in roughly the same direction and at roughly similar altitudes at roughly the time period (or day).

There may come some dissent on these formation definitions if some Air Force puke reads this.........[/QUOTE]

I fondly remember an a$$ chewing from some Air Force type for taxiing my Navy plane " too close " to an Air Force plane at an Air Force Base .
I'm guessing the Air Force has no concept of Carrier Flight Deck Operations .

I fondly remember an a$$ chewing from some Air Force type for taxiing my Navy plane " too close " to an Air Force plane at an Air Force Base .
I'm guessing the Air Force has no concept of Carrier Flight Deck Operations .

Correctomundo!

The tip-off is that NONE of their runways nowadays are less than, what, 12,000 feet............15,000 feet? But they darn sure know how to live!

Tim, does this help?

7-6-3. Near Midair Collision Reporting

a. Purpose and Data Uses. The primary purpose of the Near Midair Collision (NMAC) Reporting Program is to provide information for use in enhancing the safety and efficiency of the National Airspace System. Data obtained from NMAC reports are used by the FAA to improve the quality of FAA services to users and to develop programs, policies, and procedures aimed at the reduction of NMAC occurrences. All NMAC reports are thoroughly investigated by Flight Standards Facilities in coordination with Air Traffic Facilities. Data from these investigations are transmitted to FAA Headquarters in Washington, DC, where they are compiled and analyzed, and where safety programs and recommendations are developed.

b. Definition. A near midair collision is defined as an incident associated with the operation of an aircraft in which a possibility of collision occurs as a result of proximity of less than 500 feet to another aircraft, or a report is received from a pilot or a flight crew member stating that a collision hazard existed between two or more aircraft.

c. Reporting Responsibility. It is the responsibility of the pilot and/or flight crew to determine whether a near midair collision did actually occur and, if so, to initiate a NMAC report. Be specific, as ATC will not interpret a casual remark to mean that a NMAC is being reported. The pilot should state “I wish to report a near midair collision.”

d. Where to File Reports. Pilots and/or flight crew members involved in NMAC occurrences are urged to report each incident immediately:

1. By radio or telephone to the nearest FAA ATC facility or FSS.

2. In writing, in lieu of the above, to the nearest Flight Standards District Office (FSDO).​

e. Items to be Reported.

1. Date and time (UTC) of incident.

2. Location of incident and altitude.

3. Identification and type of reporting aircraft, aircrew destination, name and home base of pilot.

4. Identification and type of other aircraft, aircrew destination, name and home base of pilot.

5. Type of flight plans; station altimeter setting used.

6. Detailed weather conditions at altitude or flight level.

7. Approximate courses of both aircraft: indicate if one or both aircraft were climbing or descending.

8. Reported separation in distance at first sighting, proximity at closest point horizontally and vertically, and length of time in sight prior to evasive action.

9. Degree of evasive action taken, if any (from both aircraft, if possible).

10. Injuries, if any.
f. Investigation. The FSDO in whose area the incident occurred is responsible for the investigation and reporting of NMACs.

g. Existing radar, communication, and weather data will be examined in the conduct of the investigation. When possible, all cockpit crew members will be interviewed regarding factors involving the NMAC incident. Air traffic controllers will be interviewed in cases where one or more of the involved aircraft was provided ATC service. Both flight and ATC procedures will be evaluated. When the investigation reveals a violation of an FAA regulation, enforcement action will be pursued.

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/Chap7/aim0706.html

Thanks Guys! I think I got what we needed.

Yes Trez the Air Force guys sure know how to live, they eat better too! :D
Sometimes I miss it----not the paycheck.... The people.

I must say, the Air Force has better clubs, gulf courses, bowling alley, movie theaters and better looking women.
But the Navy has Aviators.
And the Air Force only has pilots.

But the Navy has Aviators.
And the Air Force only has pilots.

Well said.............well said. Though I know quite a few AF pilots who earned their stripes, hands down, and that's for sure!
The rivalry is what's the most fun of all..........

Navy wings are made of Gold .
And Air Force wings are made of lead .

You guys are just jealous............ You really wish you had been in the Air Force...