Brothers Gyrobee build!

WHY : how far have you gotten on your build?

Willisbr : Sorry I didn't understand what you were asking. there are 3 different sizes of wire, being in the military I noticed I used .032 most of the time.

SAFETY WIRE .020 SS 1 LB. 05-02684 $9.50
SAFETY WIRE .032 SS 1 LB. 05-02685 $7.95
SAFETY WIRE .041 SS 1 LB

Builders Log :
Not to much work today, I am waiting on the paint to come in and another metal order.

I checked on the combo mill/ lathe today back ordered until March 2011 Might have to find someone to make them for me for now, I don't want to buy them I know that.......

Hi Chris

Sorry I missed your post #61, very little progress, to cold, hangar not heated, just tool room. Now waiting on re-drive to be finished at Autoflight, then should only have about 2 years more to go. :)

Tony

WHY : Geeeeeeeeeee, 2 years to go.........:Cry: I can't even think if I had that long. I understand the other things. I have been out in the 2 car garage to start up with my brothers but I am running out of room with my bird, lawn mower, chop saw and other things in there too, you never have enough to work in. One good thing is I have a heater out there to keep me warm and dry. I called about the combo machine yesterday and the thing is back-ordered until March 2011. I had my heart set on that one.......:Cry:

Chris

When I was young I was slow, this thing has been on and off the drawing board for about 15 years and under construction for about 3 years already. Since I have gotten older I have perfected "slow".

Tony

(hopefully did all of my crashes on paper)

He may be slow.

However, I know a few things for sure... Tony is a very knowledgeable, sharing, and generous man!!!!
He has helped PRA and me so much!!! Thank you Tony U-ROCK!!!

Chris

Have you tried any local or area "used industrial/shop machinery" business ? Combo mill /lathe units have a tendency to show up after Xmas when people who had them either found out they were not going to use them much or went to two units instead of a combo unit. You should find a good used combo unit (import) for around $ 800 to $1000.

Tony

Hi John

What's the latest ??

Tony

Hey Chris

There is a Smithy CB1239 for sale on E-bay , it's a "fixer upper" listed for $1349 (I think) that's way to much but if your good at fixing, you might want to look at it, it's in Christianburg, VA company is Quick Stop Auctions phone 540 381- 3011. May be to far to mess with ?

Tony

PS I see no chucks , just a little tooling

WHY : Thanks for the input and help....Might need some help to get setup and running (input)

Boots : Thanks I called the guy and I am going to look at it Saturday...... He said that he has lots of bits for it. I would like to see it spit something out while I am there.

If I get it I am going to have to build a bench for it to sit on. I still have some metal from the mod's I did on the trailer to carry the gyro last year. I guess I will have to break out the welder also. I am going to have to look around to see what kind of height I need on the table also.

Last edited:
Hey Chris

When you look at that machine keep three things in mind "swing diameter and headstock bore diameter and center to center length . These are the things that will limit you use.

You can move a lot of metal on a small machine if you have the patience and take tiny cuts. Good luck on this, I know there is a lot of tooling but the price seems a little high since he "has no use for it anymore" , he needs the money and the room !!

Tony

PS. build the bed like you were going to park a tank on it !!

Well it is here and I tryed my luck today after driving most of the day and night. Left Statesboro, GA after taking my mom to staywith her husband in the hospital. it was around 10:30 GPS said I should arive around 2:45PM didn't tell me I was going sunday drivers in the mountains and double lines most of the way. got there and tried the machine out. Runs great also LOTS and LOTS of extra's Didn't get home until 12:00 midnight........ First piece I made was bushings for my front wheels so i could get rid of the steel black ones.....

Attachments

• IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0507.JPG
    IMG_0507.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 2
Hey Chris

GREAT Buy !! are you going to sleep with it tonite ???? Did you get it for the price range you were looking for ??

Tony

That should make a nice machine, you should be able to do "almost" anything you need to do. I even used mine to reface the flywheel on my Honda crx, I mean where are you going to get a flywheel refaced on Sunday afternoon? :D

Why : Little more than I wanted to spend at the time, but I think I will have some fun working with it.... Lots to learn now about which I can always learn more. I wish it did circles by it's self. From what I did yesterday it shouldn't take long. More than enough tools to work with.

Boots : Yep I can tell you have to watch the machine close. Took about 1 hours to get use to the knobs and levers on the lathe, today I am going to work with the Mill some. I did great getting it home without anything getting broken or thrown around.......But once I got the help to unload it was a different story. I told the guys it was heavy 478 pounds I should have took the work bench and moved it next to the tail gate and slide it onto it but we tried to move it and had to sit it down the first try. second try got it to the bench but on it's side. 1 handle got broken off in the move........:mad: But I could say it could have been worse...... I found 1 keeper on that holds the vise down was stripped but that is a easy fix. you can see the handle and stripped piece in the picture it is on the left side.

Scottessex : I am pleased with what I spent. I can turn some golf cart brake drums too!

Attachments

• Smithy 1220 LTD.jpg
    Smithy 1220 LTD.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: