I need some help from the Video experts.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2600+ in rotorcraft
We uploaded the video from the GoPro at the Cable air show and on my computer it was smooth. When Ralph went to edit it the video became jerky. When he loaded it here: https://youtu.be/ojuHc_m2TpI
and it is still jerky. He tried changing the resolution and it did not appear to help.

I would be grateful for helpful suggestions.

The video mounted on the gyro looks like its pulsing more than shakey. If it looks Ok straight from the camera then it could be the the program its edited in. Did you download the video file then give to someone else to edit? Was it edited on a Apple computer? What program was it edited in?

Well Here on my super 8 core 2 raid video card it's run great some jerkiness for a few seconds here and there but all in all great video. I would not touch a thing.

FRANK

Vance
What setting on your GoPro did you shoot the video?
Doug S.

Vance To me it looks like the camera mount is just a bit off center. The horizon on takeoff is tilted. I use a professional edditing software on a PC platform called Sony Vegas Pro. Its kind of spendy but does everything and can help smooth out some things. Also depending on capture frame rate things can glitch. For instance if its filmed in 24 frames and converted to 29 frames per sec it can have little glitches because of mix match frame rates. Also you tube has some built in video fix help tools that might work.

Looks like alot of fun!

I don't have the answers.

I don't have the answers.

The video mounted on the gyro looks like its pulsing more than shakey. If it looks Ok straight from the camera then it could be the the program its edited in. Did you download the video file then give to someone else to edit? Was it edited on a Apple computer? What program was it edited in?

I gave the file on a flash drive to Ralph who is the head of support for Santa Maria Software and he cut off the beginning and end. He put it back on a flash drive and gave it back to me.

He edited it on a PC. The original plays well on our 48inch TV. The one Ralph Edited is Jerky playing off the same flash drive and he uploaded it on his you tube account from a pc.

All he did was shorten it and put Ed’s camera work with no tripod in the middle so people could see what I was flying.

He uploaded a second one and I don’t know if it is any better because I only just got to a fast enough connection and I have not seen it yet. On my air card it was jerky. Ralph is not a video enthusiast but he knows more than I do.

Any guidance would be much appreciated Gerald. The new one is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj24I6Mj7C4
Ralph will be in at 8:00 Pacific standard time.
I will ask him what program he edited it in.

Could it be that the flash drive wasn’t fast enough and it would work better if he posted it from my computer?

We have three air show routines at Cable on the GoPro and three on Ed’s camera. I would love to edit them all together and make something nice to send to air show promoters.

The one we posted was the most conservative of the bunch but had the fewest interruptions from the air boss.

Ralph is not up for that because he has too much work to do for the company.

Well Here on my super 8 core 2 raid video card it's run great some jerkiness for a few seconds here and there but all in all great video. I would not touch a thing.

FRANK

Interesting Frank, I wish I understood it better.

Vance To me it looks like the camera mount is just a bit off center. The horizon on takeoff is tilted. I use a professional edditing software on a PC platform called Sony Vegas Pro. Its kind of spendy but does everything and can help smooth out some things. Also depending on capture frame rate things can glitch. For instance if its filmed in 24 frames and converted to 29 frames per sec it can have little glitches because of mix match frame rates. Also you tube has some built in video fix help tools that might work.

Looks like alot of fun!

Thank you Desmon, your videos always look very professional.

I am hoping that I can find a video enthusiast that will do it rather than investing time in a steep learning just when I am on a steep learning curve for being a gyroplane instructor.

I have no idea what you are writing about.

It was my favorite air show so far because I didn't have a deck. I am usually restricted to above 300 feet. They also let me fly between the air show box and the taxiway for passes.

The only challenge was the air boss kept having me move off the runway for a constant flow of traffic.

My clearance was modified about half the time.

The air boss extended all of the routines because the next up wasn’t ready and I find that very disorienting to not be flying off the notes on my knee board.

Vanc it looks pretty good to me. Like Desmon said the off center and Angel seems to throw it off more in my opinion. Your go pro has setting speeds you can change to help with the shuttering effect the Fps speed the higher the speed the less shutter effect. But it looked good on the link just crooked.

Sincerely SWilliams

He uploaded a second one and I don’t know if it is any better because I only just got to a fast enough connection and I have not seen it yet. On my air card it was jerky. Ralph is not a video enthusiast but he knows more than I do.

Any guidance would be much appreciated Gerald. The new one is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj24I6Mj7C4
Ralph will be in at 8:00 Pacific standard time.
I will ask him what program he edited it in.

I dont see the pulsing in the second video like I did in the first video. The shakiness in the second video is not bad on the mounted camera.
However, If you have Ralf go to his youtube and open the video under "EDIT", then click "Enhancements", then click "Stabilize", then click "Save" or "Save as new video". It takes a little while for youtube to fix but I think you will be satisfied with the result. If there is not much shaking in the video the Stabilize function in youtube may take care of it. Or try the stabilization in the video editing software.
On a different note, I have had video issues going from an Apple computer to PC.
If you need the tilted camera fixed let me know but its not bad

Multitasking???

Multitasking???

Thank you S. When we up the video up on the 48 inch TV it looked jerky. The second video looks better before inserting Ed’s video and still a little jerky afterward.

Thank you Gerald, I was writing this response between interruptions.

I didn’t know you could fix the tilt after the fact. Ralph doesn’t know how to do that.

I just made Ralph aware of the smoothing on YouTube and he has applied it to both.

He just told me that adjusting the editing to 30 frames per second may have made it worse.

To address some of the questions.

Ralph is using Wondershare on a PC to edit the video.

The GoPro is shooting 30 frames per second.

For some reason the editor has a standard setting for editing of 29.5 frames per second.

The camera is mounted under the nose to a body part that is not quite level. I would need to make some little angle plates to fix it. This is the best taking video with the GoPro has worked so far so my motivation is increasing. It is still a lower priority than what I need to work on with The Predator to make her a more suitable training aircraft.

I am going to look into mounting the camera on my helmet for training or perhaps a chest mount for the student. I need to experiment with picking up the radio calls. It may not work well in that windy environment.

I feel there is a steep learning curve. It appears we have found a way to reliably charge the GoPro although at Cable on Sunday we thought we had it charged and it showed only half charged.

At an air show Ed needs to start the camera before I taxi out and it can easily be 15 minutes before I fly. We got a remote but that added to our batter challenges with three batteries to charge.

We just ordered a bigger, faster video card for the GoPro and Ed’s camera and a tripod for Ed so it her video is less shaky.

The videos I have taken with the GoPro are boring unless we edited them more than I want to impose on Ralph.

I have yet to get the still thing to work satisfactorily.

I would love one of the Garmin Cameras that can show the Gs and has more battery life. That is not in the budget at this time.

Thank you all for your help.

We have accepted defeat.

We have accepted defeat.

Ralph tried the YouTube smoothing and it appears to have made Ed's camera video worse.

His third attempt didn't work either so he didn't post it.

I think it is a cool video anyway.

Thank you all for the help.

Ralph tried the YouTube smoothing and it appears to have made Ed's camera video worse.

His third attempt didn't work either so he didn't post it.

I think it is a cool video anyway.

Thank you all for the help.

It should have made the video from your gyro better but I didnt think it would help the footage from the ground much.
If you want to send me the original footage through google drive or something like that I can do an edit for you and see if I can correct the issue.

It should have made the video from your gyro better but I didnt think it would help the footage from the ground much.
If you want to send me the original footage through google drive or something like that I can do an edit for you and see if I can correct the issue.

Where should I send it Gerald?

I have a drive all loaded up.

U-ROCK!!!
Way to make the world a better place award!