My Aero trade fair report

Gyro_Kai

Aircraft
MT-03, Calidus (rent)
Total Flight Time
about 150
My first visit to the Aero trade fair was a great experience. The Aero is the main fair for GA in Germany and probably one of the bigger ones in Europe.
At five in the morning I quickly read Chuck’s remark on the 3-blade rotor at Rotortec, then I drove up for 4 hours. This year was an exciting year for gyroplanes, as many producers showed new or enhanced models.

Alphabetically

Arrow-Copter
This model has been discussed at length and it really is impressive. It is quite big. The wings are the tanks, so a potential fire stays out of the cockpit.
The cabin, Carbon made, works as a monocoque security cell, similar to race cars. The rotor was still the MT03 model, but they are developing a composite rotor. The seat is most comfortable, if you are not too tall. The mast is made of CFK as well, which, I believe, is a first. Very well built and with a highly professional feel.
Addendum: The wings produce 100kg of lift, this means 25%. I am a bit afraid of having that much lift without any control surface.

01-arrow2009_04_04_14_01_17.jpg
Vmax estimated 200kph, cruise speed 160 kph

Autogyro-Europe

The MT03 people displayed their MTOsport with floats and of course the well acclaimed Calidus, the enclosed tandem seater.
02 MT 2009_04_04_11_44_10.jpg02 Calidus 2009_04_04_14_41_56.jpg
The mast is still the same as before, stainless steel with the characteristic Ela-bend in the middle. The control system has been replaced by push-cable mechanics, with innovative pitch and roll rod design. The reason for cables was that the bulging bottom could not house the usual center axle construction. Despite my friendly inquiry they didn’t let me take it apart, so we have to wait until an inquisitive mind takes the cowling off and shows us how exactly it works. Interestingly enough it has not only a pitch but also a roll-trim.
02 Calidus 2009_04_04_11_55_49.jpg

The cabin is CFK and can be stepped on. It is self supporting, without any structural metal component.

VNE 200 kph cruise speed 180 kph

Last edited:
Brako Gyro
Another Ela clone. Not with the typical composite main gear. A bit simpler in my eyes but nicely done.
03 Braco 2009_04_04_09_57_19.jpg
The kink in the mast has been solved with cutting and welding like the real Ela. Additionally two cheek plate have been welded on the sides.
03 Brako 2009_04_04_09_56_13.jpg

VNE 180 kph, cruise speed 160 kph.

Celier Aviation
The Xenon people. All their models are already well known. It is no secret that I like the Xenon. The 3 seater however tops the rest. From the pilot seat you have almost a round view, you can even look past your passenger backwards through an additional window. As the pilot you can almost stretch out your arms (yeah Titanic). The glass cockpit is most impressive, offering all sorts of functions, I didn’t know existed, like automatic wind calculation.
04 Xenon 2009_04_04_11_42_33.jpg
One mystery to me with limited Xenon experience is, that the ship is a bit sluggish to take off, but once up to speed it flies great and with high speed. Travelling with 170 kph is no worry.

VNE 200kph (don’t know how they did that) and cruise 180 kph is already a bit high.

The Xe-wing was there, too, but I am not into fixed wings.
04 Xewing 2009_04_04_10_46_31.jpg

DF02
The first serial model was displayed with a new EFIS was displayed. Great looking little ship. The hood is now a little higher, giving enough space for everyone. The Hirth engine is now still running fine after several hundred of hours. (I know, that is not much, yet, but let’s see).
05 DF 02 2009_04_04_12_56_15.jpg

VNE 180 kph, cruise speed 160 kph

Phenix
Autogiro is coming home. Phenix from Spain presented the prototype of a fully enclosed 2 seater tractor. Originally the motor was meant to sit behind the seats with a drive-shaft through the cockpit, but that didn’t work out. In order to make use of the now required aft counter weight they installed a BRS. Volunteers for trying that one out please report to the manufacturer :D. Nice craftsmanship and an innovative concept.
06 Phenix 2009_04_04_12_03_25.jpg06 Phenix 2009_04_04_12_14_55.jpg

In this early stadium performance data is not available, yet.

Rotortec
Rotortec presented their one seater Cloud Dancer and additionally the new 2-seater side by side.
07 cloud 2009_04_04_13_48_16.jpg07 rotortec 2009_04_04_16_33_32.jpg

The cloud dancer evolved from the original molds of the Merlin to an independent model. The new cabin is roomier. The entire concept looks very sturdy, the craftsmanship of both rotortec models is exceptional and second to none.

The 2 seater is another highly innovative concept.
The 3 blade rotor has lead-lag hinges with the outer bolt being the pivot and the inner bolt screwed into a damper. The triangular hub is made of elastic composite and functions as teeter hinges. The blades seemed to be stiffer and have symmetrical profile.
07 rotortec 2009_04_04_13_35_07.jpg
The wings underneath the cabin are tanks.
What worries me, is the big, wardrobe like motor compartment in front of the prop. I wonder if enough airflow can still be caught by the prop.
07 Rotortec 2009_04_04_13_34_29.jpg
Unfortunately the front view is obstructed a bit by the windshield frame.

The craftsmanship, I must repeat, is excellent. When you grab the wall you really have a handful of honey-comb re-inforced double wall. More like a luxury yacht than the usual cardboard impression.

My personal favorite:

It is hard to say. For the easy-going travel and with baggage the Xenon is un-beatable. As a sporty two-seater the Calidus seems to be the choice of the day, depending on how the Arrow-copter turns out.
Single seater I’m hooked on the DF02 but the cloud dancer is nice too. The Phenix cannot convince me, I don’t want to look over the motor.

Last edited:
What else?

Half of the trade fair was taken up by the EU-ultralight (450 kg) and LSA fraction. The other half was GA, Avionics, Helicopters, insurances, gliders and all the rest.
The small and light are taking over and in that category the 3-axis (“real” airplane design with rudder, ailerons and elevator) as opposed to weight shift and PPG.

The Gyroplanes is growing fast as well.
The number of 3-axis fixed wing UL and LSA offers is breath taking. They come as top and low-wing versions, all look a bit like Cessna or Cirrus. As the vast majority uses the Rotax 4-strokes, the numbers are quite similar, and so is the price: usually above 65000 and below 120000 Euros. But in between anything goes.

Flight design, the CT people, displayed a Hybrid motor with electric booster for starts (never thought it was weak in that area). The electric motor alone only prolongs the glide angle, not more. A lighter version of the CT, CT-UL offers us Europeans more headroom, weightwise. For LSA they offer a full metal version of the CT for 15000 Euros less.
08 Hybrid 2009_04_04_09_35_22.jpg08 Metal-CT 2009_04_04_09_40_06.jpg

Composti offer their Millennium, a full CFK 2 seater tandem with a top spead of 372 kph. Cruise speed 306 kph. The pieces on display were impressive, thin and light as paper but very hard and sturdy. For merely 120 000 Euros it is yours.
09 Millennium 2009_04_04_09_53_09.jpg09 Millennium 2009_04_04_09_54_10.jpg
I didn’t look at the FW-GA, so sorry, no news from me.

Finally

In the EAA corner this strange coax heli was on display I forget now from which East European country. The interior smelled of oil and exhaust, I could imagine it has flown.
10 Heli2009_04_04_13_09_41.jpg
A flying car, of course was there, too. The wings fold forward electrically, the front wheels extend and it already flew with ground effect. But it drove with running prop which may be good for removing unfavorable witnesses but I foresee issue with the homologation process.
11 flycar 2009_04_04_10_21_17.jpg

On Saturday it was a bit crowded, it was hard to take a picture without anyone standing before the plane :D
2009_04_04_16_52_53.jpg2009_04_04_16_53_08.jpg

Thanks for looking and putting up with my babble.

Kai

Tks, Kai. Very impressive! This confims what I have been thinking for a long time: that there is a revolution in gyro concepts and models in Europe, and that we, at this side of the ocean, are being left behind, but for a few new additions and concepts like the Butterfly. I flew a MSport last year in France and the craftmanship was impressive. Also, I can see from the pictures that the new models are coming out of the factory with beautiful looks and workmanship. I forsee that in a few years gyros will be a common sight in Europe and will lead the revolution into flying for the normal people in the XXI. It's not to late for catching up!

At five in the morning I quickly read Chuck’s remark on the 3-blade rotor at Rotortec, then I drove up for 4 hours. .....

Kai,
Drove for four hours.....ouch ! :eek: How about taking an MT-03 next time :confused: Thanks for the comentary and all the great pics. Next year I am definitely planning on attending.
Randy

Kai why dont you turn these posts into an article for the PRA. They are always looking for interesting stuff and lots of pra members dont come to the forum.

Thanks a lot for the comments.

@Joe, that is a great idea. I'll follow it up

@Randy, I had an average speed of 120 kph. That is pretty much the TAS of an MT03 and no pre-flight check and no drive to the airport first. So no win really and then the airspace is congested and some Nato activity blocks most of it and you cannot fly ULs in the dark and..and..and. I only had the one day, next time I try 2 days and overnight. Then I'll fly.
Do keep me updated if you come, we should meet, regardless, what transport. You will probably be coming in via Frankfurt anyway.

@rfonseca, Yes the scene is buzzing. A really exciting phase now. I published the statistics for Germany in another thread and I believe it is similar in many other EU countries.

@Earthboundmisfits here is a flash pic click to enlarge:
09 Millennium 2009_04_04_09_55_01.jpg
of the tail section. it weighs less than a coke can but you cannot compress it.

Kai.

Last edited:
Aero

Aero

Kai, the idea to meet next year at the AERO is great! All the forum members which attend could get to know each other personally. I flew there for just one day, and would have loved to meet you, for example.

@ Walter!

So sorry that we didn't meet this time - but nevertheless there was quite a lot of German Gyro Forum members who met regularily in these 4 days. I talked with about 25 gyro pilots, some of them I had met several times before at "Tannkosh", Gelnhausen, Fertöszentmiklos (Hungary), and other events, ... but also some new faces for me.

I think next year we should also announce a daily meeting - point an time (but not during the flight displays as we unintentionally did this year) in both forums, here and at www.gyrocopterforum.de .

Holger

P.S.: next years Aero will be from 8. until 11. April - and I'll be there!
http://aero-friedrichshafen.de/html/en/

see some more pictures provided by Stefan "Gyronaut":

http://gallery.me.com/brombeiss#100024

what you will see:
  • DF-02 from GyroTec (Germany)
  • Cloud Dancer and Cloud Dancer II from Rotortec 2-seater / 3-blade rotor (Germany)
  • Phenix (the yellow tractor from Spain)
  • Calidus and MTO Sport on floats from HTC / autogyro (Germany)
  • Xenon 2 from Celier Aviation (Poland)
  • Coax helicopter (Czech Republic)
  • Brako-Gyro (Italy)
  • ArrowCopter from fd-composites (Austria)

Hello Walter,

next year we will organize this properly. I only met a few of the German Gyronauts as our meeting time was overlapping with the flight show. Better planning next time.
Or I'll open a booth and wait for everyone to pass by, like Schlagschrauber :D

Kai.

... And the website for the Phenix is:

www.phenix.areo

It will be completed once we have started the test flight campain, due in July. Specific forums as well available from the website.

Kai
Thanks for sharing.

Most excellent to learn whats happening on the other side of our pond.

Please do write a article for PRA, that would be great!!