Close Encounters of the B-17 Kind

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
Today was a PURRRRRFECT day to attempt a low-tide sand island landing off of South Tybee Beach (Savannah) today, so I took advantage of the opportunity and took off around 4:00pm (low tide @ 5:00, so the island would definitely be exposed and sun dried by the time I got there). As I approached Tybee, about 7 miles out I saw what I could have sworn was a B-17 heading towards me at 11:00. As we closed the gap to 5 miles it was unmistakable.

I think he picked me up visually at some point as I notice he was dropping altitude from 1500 ft toward me, so I throttle up quickly brought the Wicked up to meet them at 1100 ft.

As we approached just hundreds of feet away I did a tight 180 and flew alongside for a few precious seconds, maintaining visual clearance.

I followed as they departed into the west, and wished I could keep up and follow.

Doing some armchair flying this evening, I determined from the tail markings that this bomber is the "Nine-O-Nine", and was then able to verify it's tour schedule: departing its event at Savannah Hilton Head Airport today, heading to Athens, GA.

The B-17 is my #1 WW favorite bomber, and the top 3 of my all time favorite aircraft. I have never been inside one, and only seen them from the outside on the ground. Never even seen one fly, until today - FROM A BIRD'S EYE VIEW, no less!

I love my gyrocopter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/26147637@N06/15450524459/

Attachments

• b-17-nine-o-nine.jpg
    b-17-nine-o-nine.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Greg,

You HAVE to get yourself inside a B-17 at minimum and definitely take a flight in one. I've flown multiple times and even have some right seat time. It flies like a heavy four engined Piper Cub. Very easy and very stable.

I too have a special affinity for the B-17 because it is the plane my Dad flew combat in over Europe. Dad was a Bombardier.

Nine-O-Nine represents a B-17G from the 323rd Bomb Squadron, 91st Bomb Group. My Dad's B-17F-20-DL serial number 42-3057 "Blonde Bomber" was in the 322nd Bomb Squadron, 91st Bomb Group. The 91st Bomb Groups consisted of the 322nd, 323rd, 324th, & 401st Bomb Squadrons. The famous B-17 "Memphis Belle" was in the 324th Bomb Squadron. The Memphis Belle crew finished their 25th mission when Dad finished his fifth mission.

The nose art on my Dad's B-17 he created and painted himself. Prior to the war, my Dad worked for MGM studios as a set designer.

I notice in your photo that the landing gear had just started coming down when you snapped the shutter.

Wayne

Attachments

• 91-blonde-bomber.jpg
    91-blonde-bomber.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 0
  • blonde bomber.jpg
    blonde bomber.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 0
  • blonde-bomber-na.jpg
    blonde-bomber-na.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0
  • B-17dad.jpg
    B-17dad.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Wayne:

The "Aluminum Overcast" B-17 is at the AOPA fly in at KSSI this weekend. It is only 54 NM south of me (Hodges Airpark GA39). One of my buddies has a WWII J4 recon which is going to be parked under its wing, and I intend to fly the Wicked there tomorrow. About half a dozen pilots here at GA39 fueled up and took off this afternoon, I will meet them there tomorrow.

I expect to to be the only gyrocopter at the fly in, and I am FLYIN IN!

As I understand it, this is a BIG event.

I can't wait to examine this other B-17 up close and personal. Imagine, TWO B-17 encounters in as many weeks! That will make three lifetime FLYING B-17 encounters to date. Maybe this will become a new lifetime quest.

Last edited:
Well, Saturday came, and the AOPA fly-in was on. I called 800-WX BRIEF, then took off. I must say, I was a bit nervous about flying the Wicked into a big fly-in, with all that FW traffic and such. But it turned out to be no big deal. I showed up, entered an "inside" tight, lower, 500ft AGL left-hand rotorcraft pattern, waited for a place to slip in behind departing traffic and landed. Didn't ruffle anyone's feathers. I barely shut down the engine when beautiful women were already taking pictures of me. I'm not making this up.

I'm doing this again next year!

I did pay the ten bucks and toured the Aluminum Overcast. With all those 50 cals, who WOULDN'T? It's hard to resist. I'd waited over 50 years for this, and it finally happened. Got some great vidz and pix.

Then jumped in the gyro and flew the 70 miles back home (flyin a few extra miles to stay close to DRY land...).

ASI was 70-75, hit 80 a few times, It took about 50 minutes to get there, about 75 to return.

Fuel cost me around $33.50, round trip.

I know, right?

I'm pretty happy with the YG4. Now I gotta get me one of them aussie Titanium Explorers to mount one on...

Titan X, if ya abbreviate it.

Nice fit for the "Unobtainium Member" if ya think about it.

Things that make ya go, "Hmmmm."

Last edited:
Hi Greg,

Happy to read you had a great time and finally able to go inside the B-17, Aluminum Overcast. I wished I had time to read and reply to this thread earlier. I would have asked you to say hello to Kent Holiday and/or George Daubner for me if they were the pilots who flew the B-17 to the event.

My EAA Chapter 40 often sponsors the B-17 Aluminum Overcast visit to Van Nuys Airport during the West Coast tour. Many of the chapter members are former military and are quite experienced in air and ground operations of military aircraft. As far as I know, our chapter is the only EAA chapter that is allowed to be in charge of ground operations of the B-17 because of that experience. I purposely work the flight line marshaling the B-17 in and out of the ramp, and send her on her flight by standing at attention and give a salute in honor of all crew members who flew in her.

I can't tell you how many times I've silently watch a B-17 crew member walk up to the B-17, stand quietly next to her and gently rub her fuselage and give her a "pat of thanks," or climb aboard as an elderly man and transform in the young airman again while inside. I watch that transformation happen many times with my Dad when he was near the grand old lady. My wife told me that one time while standing next to my Dad when the Wright Cyclone R-1820 were firing up with a big whirl of smoke, he took a big sniff, turn to her and said, "The smell of Heaven."

At times it is hard to imagine the hardships and the long missions those B-17 aircrews experienced when crawling through the plane while peacefully sitting on the ramp. While the 1990 movie "Memphis Belle" was not historically accurate of the final 25th mission, the crew interaction and cohesiveness was spot on.

Wayne

I got to fly on Aluminum Overcast a few years ago. I was struck by how drafty and crude the aircraft was by today's standards, and imagined how cold it must have been on those high-altitude runs.

But the biggest impression was the interaction with the WWII vets who were my fellow passengers. I'd like to think America could produce another generation like those guys, but I'm afraid life is too cushy, and our challenges too trivial, to forge that kind of steel anymore.

You guys made me cry, really!

I have a tender spot for those guys. Long bomber missions were not dreamed-up by people trying to make them warm & fuzzy. Those crews had a tough life and they epitomized the brave, dedicated American warrior! On this...the day before Veterans' Day, I salute them!

Greg,
That chance encounter must have been an awesome experience! I almost lost my ability to fly once when I had a rendezvous like that with a simple Huey! LOL. A B-17 and my heart rate would go through the roof.

Wayne,
I'm an old brush & paint Sign Painter, back before computers. I have a "coffee table book" that has been in my living room for 20 years, entitled WWII Aircraft Nose Art. I'll have to go look but I'm pretty sure a lot of the pictures in it are done by an "MGM Set Designer" and I'll bet those are your Dad's paintings.

BC

Character

Character

...I'd like to think America could produce another generation like those guys, but I'm afraid life is too cushy, and our challenges too trivial, to forge that kind of steel anymore...

Living through The Great Depression, being raised by parents that experienced WWI, and America's being 100% committed to winning WWII at any cost is what forged that steel, and built their character.

I just can't imagine a crusty ol' F-117 pilot, in in 2050, laying his hand on the nose of a restored Stealth Fighter at an airshow, with tears in his eyes and feeling that big lump in his throat like those B-17 do today.

"Its hard to breath when you are a ball of mud"

Before he died I talked with a WW2 vet who was in a crash landing on a wet and muddy runway in Europe. Nobody was injured very badly but the front gunner was missing.

The crew noticed the front plexi was busted out and walked ahead of the B-17 looking for him .... all they could see was a big ball of mud lying on the runway .... with 2 steam holes coming out of it

The guy had been thrown out on impact , rolled 100 feet in mud and grass , and it had glued him up in one big matted ball , even his mouth was packed full .... the only thing he could do was blow the two plugs of mud out of his nose to keep breathing .... and fortunately the searchers could see his breath in the cool night air

His only complaint was by the time his broken bones healed up he had missed the last half of the war !!!!

Bryan,

Corporal Tony Starcer painted most of the nose art for the 91st Bomb Group. There's a website stating that Tony pained the nose art for the Blonde Bomber, however that is incorrect. My Dad did that painting himself. Tony was a very gifted artist, and my Dad often said that Tony was much more gifted than himself.

http://www.91stbombgroup.com/crewphotos/blondebomber.html

There's an error listed as my Dad working for Disney before MGM. Actually, my Dad work directly with Walt Disney after the war in the early 1950s with the creation of a new amusement park to be called Disneyland.

One has to remember that the B-17 crew flew at an altitude whereas the temperatures were 20 degrees below zero. Yes they wore protective heated clothing, however the conditions were far from being comfortable.

Paul,

I have to agree with you. The WW2 generation was already use to the hard life and reality of the Great Depression that helped them be ready for the reality and hardship of war. None of them were "Me People." that are so common in todays society.

One has to remember that it was the WW2 Generation and culture that helped bring back the Apollo 13 crew back home alive. Those NASA engineers and contractors worked unselfishly without breaks and literally around the clock without complaint to bring those three Astronauts back home. If an Apollo 13 event happened today, those Astronauts would die because of the present day "Me Generation" would insist on having multiple work breaks and demand overtime or no work will be performed.

Wayne

As we close this day in remembrance of those who fought and died, may I say "God bless them all."

I also remember my own dad, who worked on the B-29's after being part of the invasion forces on Guam in WWII.

Thank you, dad, thank you all of you who fought, and especially those who fought and died.

You are not forgotten.

Some photos from Saturday

Attachments

• IMG_1425.jpg
    IMG_1425.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1427.jpg
    IMG_1427.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1427.jpg
    1427.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1430.jpg
    IMG_1430.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1446.jpg
    IMG_1446.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I had a chance to fly in Aluminum Overcast when it came to Denver a few years ago. Sat at the waist gunner station on takeoff, then was able to move throughout the ship. Getting through the bomb bay was very tight, can't imagine doing it wearing that bulky flight suit. Stood behind the pilots between those 4 big radials. Up front, looked down through the bomb sight, saw our shadow on the ground,again right in front of the 4 big props. Never rode in the Concorde at Oshkosh because "It's too expensive.", now can't do it at any price. Give yourself a treat, and go for a ride.

Here is a video of my arrival at St. Simons, KSSI, a funny photo of a lady who was photographing me as I parked the Wicked, and then a nice tour of the B-17. Incredibly SMALL space for a belly ball turret gunner, good grief - imagine sitting in there for what, four hours or more, at sub zero temps!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PkAw35Ao58

watch

Sorry, but seems I must have gotten myself banned from imbedding video and pix after posting a flying video that someone didn't like. So you'll just have to click the link.

Last edited:
My daughter's best friend's dad flies Blackhawks out of Hunter AAFB just five miles from where I fly from now, Hodges GA39. Yesterday was 74, winds 10kts from the east, sunny skies. I took him for his first gyro ride! A Blackhawk Lima model came flying near us, and as he circle around us in ever closer circles, I kept turning to keep him in sight in front of us. Then he dove down under us and headed back off toward base. After we landed, Hunter (my passenger's name, funny how it's the same as where he works!) made a call and quickly figured out the Lima was from his company - his commander and other members. (We had to wait to land, my radio doesn't transmit clearly for some unknown reason and I haven't gotten it fixed yet.) I think it was all just coincidence, there were quite a few army helos in the air yesterday, but funny how stuff like that just happens, you know? Anyway, score another big smiling face for the Wicked passenger seat, Hunter is HOOKED and wants to get a gyro rating now. And, of course, a gyro! He's flown Afghanistan and Iraq, and said he really enjoyed the low flights we took yesterday around the area at the relatively slower 60-70mph speeds. See you Peachstate guys in Rome Saturday, right? I'm driving in, don't want to miss it.

Back to topic: I just heard on the radio last week that there is a B-17 restoration project here in Savannah, at a museum near KSAV! I gotto go see it, maybe I can get involved.

Last edited: