KB autogyro I think?

tommyboy

Tommyboy
Aircraft
ultralight quicksilver/ce172/pylon racer/vw powered
Total Flight Time
52 and counting
Hey you guys ,,I finally got to check out that gyro it looks to me to be a KB unsure about the model,can someone with a kb send some pics. or post them on this thread?So the powerplant is a V.W. ...I would s-can that and the roters were wood and only had minor termite damage....the guy selling it is an a/p and said they were probably still good to fly!what the F!? So to continue on from the other thread (am I too big to fly gyros)sounds like its the perfect starting place for me the basic structure is in good shape just needs to be gone over with a f.t.c,I wanted a fresh engine and because I am on the big side new rotors also..correct diam to compensate for my weight and flying stile...keep in mind I now am taking nothing this guy says seriously and I am also asking for his a/p cert id numbers to post them all over world!!!! dont let this guy breath on your aircraft...I am now in the works to rescue this KB, here is my plan I will offer him 300 bucks and a 12 pack of pepsi and see if he will take the challenge. let me know what you think...Tommyboy

If you buy it and don't want the vw engine mount I would like to buy it if the price is right.

Minor termite damage on the rotors no problem - give me a break.

One quick way to tell if its a Brock vs Bensen is look at the cyclic control. If its mounted down on the keel it is probably a Brock. If up under the seat it prorbably a Bensen.

kb2

kb2

Here is a pic of my kb2 with a MAC. Cyclic down on the keel. My cyclic is almost clone of the dominator vs the Brock since the Brock plans did not include details of how to build the cyclic. On Bensen machines the cyclic is right under the seat. Mine does not have the rock guard but does have a Ron Heron design T tail and rudder (Little Wing gyros)

Attachments

• first pics at Sue's 003.JPG
    first pics at Sue's 003.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Da Screwdriver

Da Screwdriver

kb2 with vw mount and Brock cyclic

Attachments

• kb2jstevens.jpg
    kb2jstevens.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 0
Here's my KB-2 with the Mac engine. Like the other guys have said, if the cyclic controls have an attachment point to the keel under the front of the seat and use 2 parallel tubes along the keel it may be a Brock. If the cyclic curves under the seat and attaches to the front of the pushrod control horn it's probably a Bensen.

Attachments

• KB-2 side2.JPG
    KB-2 side2.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 0
If the cyclic hangs down in front of your face, it's definitely a Bensen!

Termites in the rotorblades? Termites make very very bad tip weights. They just don't have enough mass. In addition, their gnawing habit can do ugly things to the rotor structure that keeps one's quivering pink body from plunging to earth.

Plunging to earth is bad. Well, actually the plunge is survivable, right up to the "to earth" bit. That usually leads to an incurable case of deceleration sickness.

OK, let's be serious. One thing to check on any old Bronsen (Brock or Bensen) that's been sitting is corrosion. You may well have filiform corrosion on mast and keel (which may produce stress risers that lead to cracks. Pink body, plunge, deceleration, etcetera). Also look for electrolytic corrosion where steel fasteners join alloy structural pieces. In addition, the fasteners themselves may be corroded.

Remember, ferrous metals don't have to rust all the way through, and nonferrous metals don't have to corrode so deeply, that the structure is compromised by loss of material. All they have to do is cause pitting and then, when the part is subjected to vibration, cracks propagate. (I'll spare you the plunge this time).

Also, take a look at how things are attached to the mast. Clamped is better than holes drilled. Because holes are also stress risers, especially if not properly deburred. (Consider all this part of your finetooth comb advice).

Lastly, the Ron Herron stab is a good thing and I'm pretty sure Ron will still make you one. Here's the web page:

http://www.littlewingautogyro.com/tail.html

Tim Chick's gyro looks like he homebuilt something similar? The KBs can be somewhat HTL so a h-stab is valuable.

Question for you Bensen guys -- is the stick you're describing the "pumper" or is there more than one kind of Bensen-designed stick?

cheers

-=K=-

Kevin,
Yes, the Bensen cyclic is often referred to as a pump type stick. Both the Bensen and Brock KB-2 are pretty close to CLT if a seat tank is used. We did a double hang test on Mike Gaspard's Bensen and it was almost dead on.

Yes, you're right, Tim, it's the KB-3 that has issues with CLT isn't it.

Thanks.

cheers

-=K=-

Gary,
I sold the engine and pipes to a guy down in Central Florida. I told him to let me know if he couldn't use the pipes for his project and I'd find a home for them. Here's a photo of my KB with the Rotax.

Attachments

• Rotax 2nd flight1.JPG
    Rotax 2nd flight1.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Tim,

Looks like I may have to do the same, switch to Rotax if I can't find some good MAC 90 parts, I know there out there somewhere . . .

Gary,
I'd recommend switching to a 582 instead of a 503 especially if you're used to the 90.

Timchick I thought you had a mac 90 when did you switch & are you happy with your 503 Rotax

I had a 72 hp Mac. While a lot of people swear by (and the rest swear at) the Mac engine there were several things I didn't like about it. I didn't like hand prop starting it. There have been several accidents over the years where gyros have lunged forward when the engine started and people have ended up in the props. Another problem was parts. Getting parts for a Rotax engine and finding someone who knows how to work on them is a lot easier than the Macs. The fuel was also an issue. I had to burn avgas in the Mac and getting it was a major hassle. I had to go out to the city airport and get it. At first getting it was fairly easy. Then they said I couldn't pump gas into my 15 gallon plastic gas can. I rigged up an 18 gallon aluminum boat tank to use and then the airport security said I couldn't drive my truck out to the aircraft fuel tanks. So, converting to the rotax has made my life much simpler and my wife doesn't worry about me chopping an arm off.

When I put the 503 on my KB I wanted to do it without raising the mast. I like being able to wheel the gyro into my garage when I take it home to work on it. That limited me to a 52" prop. I weigh 160 lbs and my setup flies fine for me here at sea level. I get a 500-600 fpm climb rate. It has less power than my 72 mac had so if someone wanted to have about the same performance as a Mac they should go with a 582. After I fly the 503 for awhile I'll probably upgrade to a 582.

Here's a couple videos of my gyro with the Rotax on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayuurJDBxZI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF9ZHswMkMI

Tim I have a Bensen B8M with 90 HP Super Mac I'v only taxied it Runs Great. I had a trailer Built for it & am planing to taxi it in the spring. My Gyro looks almost Identicle to yours. In January we are going to Freeport Bahamas for 2 weeks then take 10 days to travle around Florida do you know of any CFI that teach in a Bensen or KB type in southern FL. Thanks Mark