Facebook Gyroplane Group

Monarchist

MTO Sport Owner
Aircraft
MTO Sport, R22/R44, Cirrus SR22-G3 Turbo, Bonanza B35-N (dead engine), Aurora Butterfly
Total Flight Time
Hey everyone,

I don't know who here might be on Facebook, but I started a gyroplane group there and thought you might like to join.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=90877299349&ref=nf

The purpose of the group is primarily to educate and inform the masses about gyroplanes, and hopefully to spur interest in the sport.

Honestly, with the advances in designs and the availability of training on the rise, there's no reason why interest in these machines can't grow. Hopefully we can repeat the interest level of times past, but with modern machines and better trained enthusiasts. (This is not meant as a sleight to anyone or any design...everything evolves over time, it's the natural order of things.)

I've already posted a couple of links to some videos, including both Shawn Adam's and Dan Donley's awesome introductions to gyroplanes. I'm inspired by both of them, I know others will be too.

Other videos showing the capabilities of the machine will be added...feel free to post whatever you like.

-John

Sounds like a great idea to me. Anything we can do to let people know about this sport is a great idea. I'm in.
Gyro Doug

Just joined Your group. Excellent idea since Facebook is the fastest growing network. Thus we can reach also people that even do not know that gyroplanes even exist and how they work.

Tx

Angelo

I...in no way am attempting to shoot the messenger here....so I'll say it like this:
I DO like the Idea <in principle>...but I have real data privacy concerns regarding my personal Info. being with 'Facebook'...they are a nightmare just waiting to happen <take it from me I do know something about computers, and they don't have a great track record so far>.

This forum is run FAR BETTER than Facebook ever has been.
(Tip O' the hat to owner Todd and all Mods here).

Hi Mike !

Your are right if You spread every detail of Your life in Facebook (like the secretary that shouted to the world that her job is so boring :der:, she lost her boring job).

If You just post what is known anyway from You (and I fear there are infos ´bout all of us in some hidden governmental data-files we never dreamed of) it´s just another way of communication and a worthy addition to this excellent forum).

Take a look at Google Wave - preview: THIS will revolutionize communication !

Sad thing is: whatever humans invent it will be misused rather than used for the benefit of humanity but at least the Internet is a worldwide net that allows to withstand governmental repression (as You can see in Iran right now) and that at least every secret will be revealed that some hidden agencies work out.

Have fun

Angelo

I joined Facebook because, for some reason, my kids find it handier than phone or e-mail. I'm amazed at the hundreds (thousands?) of time-wasting quizzes and applications offered through the site!

Be careful with those mini-applications. They often offer some fishy reason for making you add your personal information so they can sell it.

Kai.

I joined too, I do believe that we need to do all we can do to promote our sport. Whenever I'm pulling my gyro anywhere and I have to stop for gas or whatever there always are several people that come and look at it and ask a lot of questions. I've thought about carrying a small pamphlet with frequently asked questions and a list of web links to hand out. It is amazing how many people are truly interested when they see a gyro but don't know anything about them.

Sorry, I'm not a big fan of facebook. So I'll take a pass.

Hey, thanks everyone...the group is really starting to take-off. I'm really hoping for a mushroom effect to take hold here.

@Minnesota Mike: you are right to an extent. The problem isn't with Facebook so much as it is with the various unscrupulous applications that people use. Several of my friends accounts have been compromised after they installed some quiz thing or whatever. My personal policy is I don't install any 3rd party apps unless I absolutely know it to be safe. But none of them are necessary to make use of Facebook.

@Master Roda: Hopefully everyone...enthusiasts like me and professionals like yourself...will benefit from this type of positive exposure. So many people don't know about gyroplanes at all and the ones who do know about them largely perceive them as death traps.

I was having lunch today with some business colleagues and we were talking about helicopters, since I'm a helicopter pilot. When I mentioned gyroplanes, one guy's eyes rolled, "those things will kill ya." It's exactly this kind of misconception that is hindering the growth of the sport.

Thanks again everyone...feel free to invite others to join when you join.

-John

I just joined you on facebook .
So there is another reason not to join .

Last edited:
OK. I just joined also. There's no reason to supply facebook with any more personal info than you supply here. You do not have to fill out your profile with all your personal information. I recently saw a news story where a guy used twitter and facebook to let everyone know what he was doing all the time. He told everyone he was going on vacation and his house was burglarized. I don't participate with the quizes or any of that other stuff.

My company turned up a 10 gig circuit for Facebook in 2 days a few weeks ago. Facebook was so blown away they turned around and signed a 3 million dollar deal with us for 8 more 10 gig circuits without batting an eye 3 days later... I turned up the first deal we did with them as I was moving from Virginia to Georgia to take over the Atlanta market for our company. It's amazing how much they are growing. I joined when I was managing our first project with them 8/2007. It is a great way to keep up with old friends.

GOOD IDEA DUDE! I'm gonna link up with you there.

FOLKS DON"T BE SHY about it. I am an OLD FART TOO! it is really not anything to leave to just the kids.

Chuck, I know exactly what you mean, how you feel. I was the SAME WAY until I got that product order thrown at me. THen I joined just cuz. You know, if I had a customer that sold bird seed, I would buy a bag. I am not very active on it, but it can't bite you. And it may even bring you into contact with a few old friends and few new ones. Go ahead, what the hey?

Adam and some of the Indiana gyro folks just recently joined my friends group there.

When I click the link, and log in with my Facebook ID, I see the page, and everything on it, but there is no way to join the group. Can someone help me out?

Last edited:
NoWings: There should be an option to join on the right hand side as long as you're signed in to FB.

We're up to 31 members last I checked, some of which joined no doubt because they saw that some of you had joined. Very good comments so far...I appreciate the enthusiasm you guys have shown for this, let's keep it going.

-John