An open letter to ULTRALIGHT pilots from an X UL pilot turned CFI.

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
Dear Ultralight Pilots,

My first 200ish hours of flying were done in an 'ultralight' AirCommand 447 gyroplane.

During this 2 year time frame I often became frustrated at the attitude many GA and even Experimental pilots, airport owners and airport employees had toward ultralight pilots both gyro and fixed wing.

To me this attitude seemed MORE then unfair.

Ultralight pilots needed the same basic flying skills as GA pilot and in fact sometimes more. Light draggy machines with short range like gyros, FW challengers, quicksilvers and (god help you) weedhoppers are in many ways more difficult to fly then C172s (IMHO).

Furthermore a UL pilot/owner also had to be his own mechanic, had little or no industry support and had to do a great deal more work to find a suitable place to fly.

Eventually, I formed the opinion that UL pilots should be revered over the generic GA pilots since we had to carefully watch the weather, plan our fuel trips, stash mo-gas at local airport in friends hangars, had advanced seat-of-the-pants skills and anyone who put up with all of this HAD TO LOVE TO FLY.

Almost ten years have passed.

Since then I have earned my Private Rotorcraft, Commercial Rotorcraft, Sport Pilot Fixed Wing and now CFI certificates.

Through all of these up until the last few months I have continued to think of UL pilots as 'a breed above' the average GA pilot. Sort of like urban bush pilots if you will.

However, over the past few months I have been dealing more and more with gyro UL pilots, and the stainless image I had is starting to take a few scratches and dings.

I had assumed that UL pilots even though they did not have to have a pilots license would at least READ the Part 103 rules, read some basic ground school books or publications and converse with GA pilots enough to have a fundamental understanding of aircraft and airport operations.

To my horror, I keep running into UL 'pilots' (note now the quotes) that are for some reason convinced that because no pilots license is required that no RULES or REGULATIONS apply to them AT ALL. Also, UL pilots seem to expect to have all of the privileges that certified airmen and aircraft have, you do not.

If that is not bad enough many of these pilots seem to take an attitude when you ask them to comply with even basic safety considerations or point out regulations or procedures that they are supposed to know!

Some day when my budget allows I would like to have my own UL singleplace again. Some day I may get myself into trouble in which case a UL aircraft might be my only choice. I don't want Part 103 to be taken away from us and I don't want to have to deal with poor attitudes toward UL pilots again.

PLEASE for the good of ALL of us.. Consider these points:

1. No license requirement does NOT mean no rules and regulations apply to ultralight pilots and craft. Please read PART 103 (and the rest of the FAR/AIM).

2. Through books, the internet, ground school or what ever means best suits you please do your part to understand airport operations, aviation terms, procedures, safety recommendations and the happenings in the GA pilot community. Also, keep this knowledge up to date.

3. Drop the attitude. Pilots, airport administrators and event organizers are not trying to bully you, old-boy you, punish you or what ever it is that you think is being done that gets your mood bent.

Most likely what is being asked from you is for the good of everyone at that airport or event and the pilots and organizers are confused as to why you don't understand the terminology or rules.

You have to trust me with this one. A GOOD ATTITUDE will cause these and other problems to melt away easily and you will find that everyone who flies will make efforts to help and support you.

Ok, my 2 cents.

It might not mean a hill of beans but I least I got it out.

Thanks!!

Live Long and Prosper Part 103!!!

spock-hand-gesture1.jpg

Last edited:
Tim,

I agree 100%. Not knowing the regs and not willing to learn them is a course for disaster especially at a public airport. I am glad I got my fixed wing sport pilot license before going over to gyros. It really makes a big difference when you can show other pilots that you can safely fly an ultralight with GA. Luckily my airport consists of a bunch of nice GA guys that enjoy seeing me fly my gyro!

I also us a radio I don't like flying without it. i feel that is very important. Some GA and AG pilots don't use them.

All people flying should pickup a FAR/ AIM and read the darn thing! It is a very valuable book when it comes to safety.

Yaw Mon, great post!!

Tim great post. It should be put in the magazine.

Good points and well taken. I am getting close to 200 hours and I am feel constricted by my UL status. If I went for a SPL in an experimental FW would I be legal to fly a registered gyro or would I need to have a addon?

Dave,

2 gyro SP instructors would have to sign you off to get the gyro add on to your fixed wing sport pilot license.

Thanks Grant, that is what I thought, The FW CFI are close, The gyro CFI almost make it a vacation, I will be starting the prosses. Is there a time limit on how long the hours count? IOW if it takes more than a year, do the hours still count?

Dave,

2 gyro SP instructors would have to sign you off to get the gyro add on to your fixed wing sport pilot license.

Good points and well taken. I am getting close to 200 hours and I am feel constricted by my UL status. If I went for a SPL in an experimental FW would I be legal to fly a registered gyro or would I need to have a addon?

Dave,

I am soon to be an ultralight pilot. Where do you fly down there?
I'm not too far from you.

Rick

hello Rick, mostly I fly at El Mirage but there are a vew UL friendly airports around, Paris is a good one if you don't mind dogging jummpers.

If we get another magazine may last one was May

Yes, my mail box has not seen the magazine for a long time now.

I was overjoyed when we first moved to the new magazine format.

Having a nice professional magazine every month was energizing.

Now, right when we need the magazine most, 2-1 and 0 months before the convention... nothing.

Part of our motivation of going with this publisher was to expose our sport to other types of pilots and to expand the convention.

I think everyone on here knows about convention and the gyro community at large but I think plenty of people that would have been interested in coming won't know about it until it is over.

I got a lot of feedback from the post I made about this and it seems like most people want to keep trying to stay with this publisher but we are 2 issues back now and at the worst possible time.

Thanks guys!

Tim great post. It should be put in the magazine.

I agree and handed out by all ultra-light manufacturers to their buyers/ customers!!!

Wow, I am honored. Thanks!

I think it is too edgy for off-forum publishing but thanks!

Maybe if I re-write it in a more PC fashion someone would publish it.

Does anyone know why the magazine isnt coming out lately?

Dave,

Logged hours are good forever. I used hours from 1997 in my 2007 training.

Thanks Grant, that is what I thought, The FW CFI are close, The gyro CFI almost make it a vacation, I will be starting the prosses. Is there a time limit on how long the hours count? IOW if it takes more than a year, do the hours still count?

Ref CFR 61.321

§ 61.321 How do I obtain privileges to operate an additional category or class of light-sport aircraft?

If you hold a sport pilot certificate and seek to operate an additional category or class of light-sport aircraft, you must—

(a) Receive a logbook endorsement from the authorized instructor who trained you on the applicable aeronautical knowledge areas specified in §61.309 and areas of operation specified in §61.311. The endorsement certifies you have met the aeronautical knowledge and flight proficiency requirements for the additional light-sport aircraft privilege you seek;

(b) Successfully complete a proficiency check from an authorized instructor other than the instructor who trained you on the aeronautical knowledge areas and areas of operation specified in §§61.309 and 61.311 for the additional light-sport aircraft privilege you seek;

(c) Complete an application for those privileges on a form and in a manner acceptable to the FAA and present this application to the authorized instructor who conducted the proficiency check specified in paragraph (b) of this section; and

(d) Receive a logbook endorsement from the instructor who conducted the proficiency check specified in paragraph (b) of this section certifying you are proficient in the applicable areas of operation and aeronautical knowledge areas, and that you are authorized for the additional category and class light-sport aircraft privilege.

Tim- Excellent points you made in your letter. On the magazine issue, wow, I feel a big shoe about to be dropped. Stan