Spent the Day with Ken J.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Vans RV4 / Dominator 582 Ultrawhite
Total Flight Time
ALOT
Some of you might remember the little boy Ken always had around as co-pilot while flying his gyro. Stephanos is how I believe his name is spelled. Well anyway, His parents moved here to Charlotte a few months ago, and poor Ken has been missing " Boogar face " alot so Ken and his wife Demetria are here in town to spend the week visiting Stephanos and his family.

Today I meet the both of them for the first time, and took them to Goose Creek and then off in the Pacer for a tour of the area. We flew to Anson County airport to have hotdogs and hamburgers - poor Stephanos threw up as soon as he got out of the plane! Was a rough ride with all the thermal activity today... ;) - and then we flew over Charlotte and the surrounding area for another hour or two.

Got back to Goose Creek and pulled out the gyro and flew it around for a few minutes. Offered Ken to fly my gyro, but he passed - I think he is still in Shock going from flip flops T shirt and shorts weather to barely out of the 40's weather we had here today.... :eek: -

And after hanging out for another hour or so, I took the two of them back to Stephanos house so they could get ready to go to the movies - I heard something about them going to see the SpongeBob SquarePants movie.... :eek:

Stephanos Rated my flying... Gave me a 8 to a almost 9 in the Piper and I think I got a solid 9 in the gyro! Surprised me since I had him sick on the way to Anson and he slept in the back seat with Kasey for most of the rest of our flying....

Stephanos is a sweet kid, alot of fun to be around. I can easily see Kens attachment to this little boy. I too would be flying across the country to spend time with him. Maybe I will get to see him again soon, even if Ken can't be here. I think I may get to meet his parents later this week before Ken flys home to eat a traditional Greek Meal, a goat I think!!! :eek:

Ken too is a great guy. For those who have not had the pleasure of meeting him, he is a very nice guy and not at all like I expected... - Okay I guess I expected a crazy wildman with Rotten toe nails, but he seemed pretty normal too me, and since he was wearing shoes I can't comment on the current state of his toe nails! :D -

Before Ken goes home, I promissed to take him and his wife up for another flight - tour of the Charlotte area. Hopefully they will take a liking to this area and consider re locating out here!!! going to try hard, we would love to have another serious gyrohead here in PRA Chapter 13 country.

Of course I totally forgot to take any pictures of our day together. But Ken did take several. Maybe he can post a few when he gets back home.

I have spent time with Ken, and he is an exceptional person. He has a remarkable gyroplane. Thank you, Vance

Air baggie !

Air baggie !

Ron !

You flew today, I know they all had a right to get sick all over you. Wind sock was out straight and gusty all day, sat and sun. You are a madman !

Say hi to Ken for me.

Did not know he was coming to NC !

Jonathan

It is not the wind that makes a bumpy ride, it is the thermals. When the morning temp is in the upper 20's and by lunch it is near 50, there is a 30 degree temp difference. Makes for some strong thermals and strong downdrafts as well. That is what makes for a wild ride. Today wasn't too bad, tonight the winds been howling!

Yes Vance, It is hard to know what to expect a person you have only known on the internet is going to be like in person. I knew Ken would be a interesting person, but he surpassed my expectations. Good people... as we here in the south like to call folks like him. He really has a special relationship with Steph

Had dinner and beer with Ken and company... Reminded me of my big fat greek wedding! - you had to be there....

Attachments

• IMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0683.JPG
    IMG_0683.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0687.JPG
    IMG_0687.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 0
Tell Ken ....

Tell Ken ....

First its way to cold ! brrr.....

Tell ken if he wants to get a flavor of NC he has to come when its warmer, and more hospitable to flip flops and scuba gear.

Should dip down to the 20's tonight...

Where are my thermals.........

Jonathan
Oriental, NC

I think he was looking for Long Johns... or at least that is what I call them