SP Checkride in RAF

willisbr

Aircraft
Maule MT7-235; RAF 2000 (sold)
I'm nearing the end of my training and am having difficulty understanding where to get my checkride to seal the deal. I'm just outside of Pensacola, FL. I believe my CFI cannot give me the checkride and that I would have to pull my gyro to someone that can sign me off or fly an examiner in.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Names, ideas, experiences, etc. welcome.

BTW, can a forum mod split this thread in the RAF forum as well? I used to mod a forum similar to this site; may be possible to do it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I just got back from finishing up my PPL at Ron Menzie's in Arkansas. I flew out there from Oregon and finished it up in 2 days.
You will need to complete the oral and practical exam with a designated pilot examiner (DPE)
You should be able to pick up a copy of the rotorcraft practical test standards from your local airport. It has a gyroplane section that outlines the requirements and the questions you will have on your oral exam as well as the standards for your practical test.
I think you will need 3 hours of dual training within 60 days of your check ride and an endorsment from your cfi to take the checkride. I was able to get this endorsment at Ron Menzie's also.
I would call Ron and talk to him about it as the SPL is a little different than the PPL and I don't know all the details.
ronsgyros.com
He also has SP page that has some info on it.
http://www.ronsgyros.com/Sport.html
Hope this helps,
Brad
I am sure your instructor has covered this, but your machine has to be rated for 1320# gross takeoff weight (or less)to fly with the SP. If it's rated for 1540# gross takeoff weight (or more) you will need a PPL. (unless you can find a way to make your tag say 1320#:noidea:)

Last edited:
The reg's were just changed this month. For SP the requirement is 2 hours of dual in preparation for the check ride within the preceding 60 days.

For Sport Pilot a DPE is not required.

One CFI for sign-off and another for the checkride.

Aircraft must meet SP requirements.

I thought the RAF was too heavy to be flown as SP... ?

For Sport Pilot a DPE is not required.

One CFI for sign-off and another for the checkride.

Aircraft must meet SP requirements.

Tim, I don't think Brian already has a rating. So he will still need a DPE or an FAA Examiner for the check ride.

I thought the RAF was too heavy to be flown as SP... ?

Depends on what the weight and balance for the Experimental aircraft says.

Tom Milton posted a thread explaining all this. But I can't find it right now.

The builder can rate his gyrocopter for whatever gross takeoff weight he wants. If you rate your RAF for 1320# (or less) you can fly with a SP. If you rate it for more, you'll need a PPL. Or you can just change your aircraft ID tag to say whatever you want. :noidea:

If you notice the ID tag in the link. It does not show the gross weight.

The only 3 items required on the ID tag are Builder, Model and Serial Number. Anything else is extra but not necessary. The Gross Weight is shown in the weight and balance.

Here's my experimental tag. The one pictured in the AS link is not experimental. I don't know the details on what is required.

Attachments

• gyro 007.jpg
    gyro 007.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Tim, I don't think Brian already has a rating. So he will still need a DPE or an FAA Examiner for the check ride.

Correct. I have no ratings. My plane is tagged gross 1320#. I have had the Arkansas gentleman in mind since day one but was putting out feelers for other options if any. I reckon I can commercial fly up there and fly one of his birds or pull mine up there. I honestly would prefer the ease of flying up there.

This seems the most practical option at this point?

My dad has commercial, helo, and other ratings so he's looking for an add on soon. Will he need to follow suit for an addon or can a cfi other than our current instructor hook him up?

Thanks for the traffic thusfar.

If you decide to head to Ron's and are looking for a place to stay, I would suggest the apartment at bulldog aviation's hanger at the Searcy airport. $60 a night and it's a short walk to Rons hanger.
Ron has a link to it on his web page.
Brad

Why is that? My CFI is planning on doing what Tim wrote, and I don't have a rating yet...

You don't have a rating in ANY aircraft yet?

Since this would be your “initial” rating, your Sport Pilot certificate requires a checkride and oral by a Designated Examiner (DE) a Sport Pilot Designated Examiner (SPE) or an FAA inspector.

After your first or “initial” pilot rating, additional SP “privileges” require only CFI endorsements or “proficiency” checks to allow you to fly a different type or make/model set LSA aircraft. The “practical test” consists of an “oral” test – ground discussions with the examiner - and a flight check ride.

If you wish to add a category / class then you need one CFI to recommend and a second to give the proficiency check.

Or you can just change your aircraft ID tag to say whatever you want.

The reg (FAR 1.1) says that a Light Sport Aircraft is one that "since it's original certification, has continued to meet the following: (1) a maximum take off weight of not more than ... 1320 pounds...."

Once the aircraft is certified for more than 1320 pounds, it cannot have it's maximum weight lowered. Changing the weight would be seen as altering a legal document, and, if you were caught, would surely bring the feds down on you. If it could be changed, all the CE 150's and 152's in the world would have a max take off weight of 1319 pounds.

Dr. Rob

The database apparently doesn't have anyone checking it's accuracy.

Unfortunately, Dave Wiley died in a seaplane accident about a year and a half ago.

He was instructing an ATP for a seaplane rating when one of the wing support brackets gave way (supposedly rusted through) about 60' above the Willamette River, near Oregon City. Both men didn't survive the crash into the river. There were many witnesses out on, and near, the water to the accident, since it was summertime

The other wing have been rebuilt prior to the accident. But, like John Denver did in refusing offers to fuel up his EZ, Dave had declined to have the other side rebuilt.

Wow Kevin, I don't recall hearing about that accident. Sorry to hear that happened to him.

I wonder if the FAA will ever update it's database.

Asking this one again. No responses yet.

My dad has commercial, helo, and other ratings so he's looking for an add on soon. Will he need to go to Arkasna with me for an addon or can a cfi other than our current instructor hook him up?