Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Rotorcraft > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2017, 03:39 PM

Default Powered Sport Flying magazine

Just received the latest PSF magazine. Great issue!
Old 01-11-2017, 01:12 PM
star hoarder

From page 36 - "The next idea that gained popularity ...was the idea of placing engine thrustlines higher in order to avoid the pilot induced oscillations."

Sport Pilot Powered Parachute
Sport Pilot Gyro

I don't always fly a gyroplane, but when I do I fly a Dominator. Stay airborne my friends!

Currently building an Aviomania GS2 powered by a Viking 2015 130 HP Engine. Expected completion about two weeks. Wait a minute....I finished it!
Old 01-12-2017, 12:24 AM
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pires View Post
From page 36 - "The next idea that gained popularity ...was the idea of placing engine thrustlines higher in order to avoid the pilot induced oscillations."
Hi Joe
What's up with that? Really had to think hard for that quote.

As far as I know there was only one manufacture claiming and defending High Thrust lines reduced PIO!
It was Jim Field and his Honey Bee. He gave a Chapter 2 online presentation and allows us to ask questions presenting his claims for HTL's.
I called him back the next day and sent him some calculation showing him the physics and he was incorrect in his conclusions. He did not agree.

Your point I think is the same as mine that's not what happened? It was only one manufacture.
There is another quote that is not exactly correct too... about why gyroplanes did not get their sport pilot category. He states it was because of the heated debate going on at the same time on this forum (I suspect he did not name us) regarding center line thrust OR whether to place the tail further back.

I wasn't here back then but from what I read of the past debates was whether or not to have an HS at all!
All of the pro's said to put a large HS way back to counter the effects of NON CLT machines and you need a smaller HS with less drag if it is CLT.

But there are some insightful points and some hopeful information for gyro's getting a sport category.

PRA- Director
PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS

Last edited by All_In; 01-12-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:09 PM

I've found that when articles are printed with incorrect or misleading information, the best way to counter is to send a short, thoughtful "Letter to the Editor" to the magazine. As co-owner of a publishing company, I can assure you that Editors take these very seriously, as maintaining credibility is paramount. The Editor then sends it on to the writer of the article, so they can respond with a correction of the article, or a rebuttal. And they will be printed in the "Letters to the Editor" column.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

People come up with some very far out ideas when they don't understand how things really work, my gyros always had oversized horizontal stabilizers by gyro standard due to not using an off set gimbal head and it was to far back by Bensen standards, I was told that my machines were dangerous because of my stabilizers, in rough air it was thought that it would make the machine uncontrollable.
Norm.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

The main thing for gyroplanes I see in PSF magazine is not thrust line.
Its the presentation of NTSB statistics for modern gyroplanes till end of 2015, from a recognized fleet of about 197 registrations to make the case for allowing factory built gyroplanes under a consensus standard to collect further data from participating manufacturers and get Part 1 definition changed to include gyroplanes as SLSA.

That's the main thing. I for one am willing to sign up for that now. We already build SLSA trikes. Our QA manual already complies with ASTM QA standard for LSA, as well as Continued Airworthiness standard. Would not take us too long to implement its provisions to factory built gyroplanes under an exemption by an entity like LAMA or USUA. Those exempt gyroplanes would have to be maintained like a SLSA machine by participants and should be grandfathered in when SLSA is allowed down the road.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: