Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Rotorcraft > General Discussion

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2017, 05:15 PM
SandL's Avatar
SandL SandL is offline
Platinum Member
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Royal Wootton Bassett... UK
Posts: 1,384

I rememer this one.... contact Tony Unwin of GYRATE in new Zealand, I believe he managed to taxi it about 15 years ago. £2,000 is a lot to pay for 2 x 532s and some scrap metal, in my opinion. It will never fly in the UK, never. You would need plans, a build log, an inspector that would check it over, a CAA test pilot certified on type, and a full complete stress calculation.... and soooo much more. It would cost tens of thousands just to get a single seat dominator flying in the UK, I dare not guess how much this would cost except many tens of thousands, possibly hundreds, proof of section T complience, CLT or large H/S proof of stability, insurance, passenger liability, type conversion... the list goes on and on and each would be a huge hurdle to jump. You are not buying a gyro, you are buying 2 x 2 stroke engines that are no longer manufactured. To sell those engines you will need log books, (unless you can find another use eg hovercraft) but they will probably need complete rebuilds after this time. it is a garden ornament I believe . could it be converted into a boat of some kind ? put it on skis and blast across the ice. they may even use it in a bond film, or as a fan on a film set but you would have to manage the 2 stroke exhaust. I know of no twin engined gyroplane flying anywhere in the world right now. A uk gyro licence allows you to fly a single piston engined gyrplane, I would love to help and give you encouragement but I think a reality check is best. If you want a reality check talk with the LAA before spending any cash. And if you want to send me a pm with your phone number I am also happy to discuus gyros with you. I fly a legal single seat gyro here in the UK. The best chance we have for new lower cost machines in the UK is Aviomania or a possible SSDR category.
If you want a gyro, buy one with a permit but after you have a gyro licence. maybe itcomes with a great trailer ?
best regards Peter

Last edited by SandL; 01-06-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger