New Lone Star Gyro pics

gyroman

Never-ending gyro builder
Aircraft
Building a Honeybee
Total Flight Time
15 minutes
Well with a new workshop (well not complete but it does have a roof) and a little encouragement from Kirby Stoltz (another Texas 'Bee maker) I got all my parts out of the closet and put the 'Bee back together. I had screwed up on putting a bend in the front gear so that's why you don't see it in the pics. For storage I put a pulley up in the rafters of my workshop and I hoist the gyro up in the air out of the way. Now anyone that comes over asks, "What the heck is that thing?" Plus I get to look at it everyday when I come home from work, keeps me thinking of what parts I need to work on next.

One bummer though... I have been painting parts here and there. When dry I would wrap them up in newspaper for storage in the closet. Well the paint is not that durable, so now I have a bunch of scratches and some of the ink from the newspaper has transferred onto the paint. So I will have to completely redo the paint job on the gyro :mad: I plan on getting it completely built and possibly flying though before I do anything else on paint. So it will be a little ugly til then. Anyway, here's a link to the webpage showing the pics...

Lonestar Gyro Page 3

Toby,

I can't see the blemishs or stains in the pictures.

Have you tried a fine grit swirl remover?

blemishes.

blemishes.

Tim,

If I sent you the high res pics you could see all the scratches, blemishes, etc. I knew keeping it in the closet with a wife that loves to move stuff around and change clothes often was a bad idea but I wanted to get something done on it. Some parts are ok but others really are pretty bad.

I havent tried a fine grit swirl remover, where can you pick one up?

Try a cheap $3.99 can of Krylon spray paint! if your careful not to put it down too heavy you can paint up a gyro frame in about 10 minutes for less than 20 bucks. Makes touching up easy, later down the road

spray paint

spray paint

Ron,

That's basically what I did, except it was automotive primer, paint and clear coat from wal mart and it was $3.46 per can :D . But those cans really dont hold alot, you would be surprised at how little one can of paint actually covers.

Toby

Looks Good.

Stop waisting time with paint.

Get it put together and flying right, then you paint it.

You'll take it apart and reassemble it 100 times before it flys.

Naked gyros fly the same as dressed ones.

Keep up the good work, focus man, focus.

Scott

Toby,

Don't pay any attention to Scott (Todaro). Beauty is what's important!

I remember a few years ago in Houston when Scott and I were to fly at an airshow. His well used gyro with some masking tape and bailing wire flew all day long, while mine was grounded due to my screwing up the exhaust - but mine was pretty!

rehler said:
Toby,

Don't pay any attention to Scott (Todaro). Beauty is what's important!

I remember a few years ago in Houston when Scott and I were to fly at an airshow. His well used gyro with some masking tape and bailing wire flew all day long, while mine was grounded due to my screwing up the exhaust - but mine was pretty!
You teh fUnNy kEn! Man thanks. Best belly-laugh I've had all day :D

Toby
On my build I thought I would build and fly before I thought about paint because of changes that might be needed.
Tony

Paint

Paint

Well the ONLY reason I started painting it was because I didn't have funds for more metal and I was wanting to do something on it. Couldn't stand it just sitting there. I plan on getting it done first before doing anything more with the paint.

Hopefully will be ordering some more metal to get the nosegear and engine mounts done, then see what else I can get away with.... :cool:

6 year OLD POST :angel:

Yes it is, and how sad..

It still looks exactly the same sitting in my garage.

Toby, visit our fly-in next month at Anahuac, it may put the bug back in you to finish it.

I'd love to Mike, but the reason I havent done much on it, is my kids are into a LOT of sports.

But this is my last year as a coach so hopefully I'll get back to working on it in January...