what type of paint to paint a warp drive

taint

Aircraft
ultralite minimax airplane, ultralite benson gyro
i repaired a warpdrive prop and i need to repaint it ;its flat black but is it water base paint or enamel? it looks like hi heat paint ( grill paint) to me. thanks taint.

Taint:
I don't believe the Warp Drive blades are painted.
I sprayed my tips to increase visibility and regret having done so.
If you've made a repair that leaves a blemish, you might be better off not to paint it and watch to see how it is holding up over time.

Taint:
I don't believe the Warp Drive blades are painted.
I sprayed my tips to increase visibility and regret having done so.
If you've made a repair that leaves a blemish, you might be better off not to paint it and watch to see how it is holding up over time.
i dont leave blemishes i professionally worked fiber glassing million dollar yachts for a living ,that job was very very small,
to me warp drive props has 4 or 5 coats of paint to take up for the weave of the glass humps and sanded in between coats .you can take acetone and wipe the hardened paint off a warp drive prop and you will see the woven fiberglass underneath seeing all the make up of the blade.i had to remove the paint to properly to make the fiberglass repair. thanks for your reply taint.

you might just call them and ask what paint to use. I've used their props since the 80's and they've always been great to work with.

paintin the blades

paintin the blades

normaly warps unly gelcoat a very thin layer ,ducs props no gelcoat only carbon fiber ,in the process of building props ,the maker, weights the blades as same weigth its very easy to put out of balance the blades with the paint,
:violin:

I would be concerned of the balance in repairing prop blades. If it were me I would have sent them to Warp Drive for repair to assure they were properly balanced before I reinstalled them. Not saying there's anything wrong with your work or that you can't repair them, just saying that being just a small amount out of balance will create a lot of frustration later when trying to get back into the air and not have any bad vibration.

@Mike - repairs and painting work well on million dollar yachts so I guess they're equally good on props. :der:

Warp Drive Props are painted with a flat black lacquer paint a then lightly scuffed with scotch brite.

"Warp Drive Props are painted with a flat black"

I seem to remember reading this on there web site,

Doesn't want to have a solvent base.

Nick.