Dominator 912S

gyromike

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Bensen B8MG
Here is a picture of a new machine that Ernie has just completed. And here are some stats on the machine so far:

25 ft. DW's
100 hp 912S
18 gal. fuel tank
440 lbs. wet, but no fuel.
2000 fpm climb rate, 65º air temperature.
80 mph at 4500 RPM
110 mph projected top speed.

I'm sure Mike or Ernie will post more as flight testing continues.

Attachments

• 912S.jpg
    912S.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
Re:Dominator 912S

That is a sweet machine! I have to ask why not go ahead and go two place when your going to invest this kind of money into a machine?

Hey Ernie, Need a test Pilot? ;D

What a great looking machine. 2000 fpm, wow. Should be alot of fun for someone. Like you said though Ron, thats an awful lot of money. I wonder where he's getting those seat tanks. 18 Gal. That would be nice sometimes.

Phil,

I think that it is the standard diameter prop that Ernie uses on all of his machines. I don't recall him saying that this frame is any different than the others, so I doubt if it's much bigger if any. I seem to remember him saying it had 22º of pitch in it though.

When I get home I'll see if I can't post some more pictures.

Heading over to Winter Haven today to check out Terry Eilands Sparrowhawk conversion, then back to Louisiana.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Todd,

Ernie had the tanks made in Taiwan.

I can't say Steve on this machine, but my 582 powered dominator never got close to what the book said in climb. I could get 400-600 FPM max in real world flying.

2000' per min I would doubt, and 22 degrees on the prop seems to me to be a very ineffieciently high figure. I would have thought that it would be stalled untill you got to 80 mph!!!!!!!!!

Aussie Paul.

Guys,

those are the figures I remember Ernie saying. If they are wrong then the mistake is mine.

As for the prop pitch, here is the best shot I have of the prop. It is not edge-on, but close. I haven't messed with Warps in a while, but maybe you guys can eyeball the pitch.

Attachments

• blade.jpg
    blade.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 2

It would look better with yellow Valve covers! ;D

Re:Dominator 912S rate of climb

Re:Dominator 912S rate of climb

When we installed 912ULS on Taiwanese tandem Domin (255 kg empty weight - something close to 580 lbs), then we've got it's rate of climb measured 4.5 m/sec = 880 fpm @500-600 feet above sea level dual (approx. 380 lbs crew). We failed to measure solo ROC (200 lbs pilot) since our ROC device could measure 8 m/sec maximum (1570 fpm).
It was ~ 0 deg Celsius, 3-blade ground adjustable 176 cm prop, 20-25 lbs fuel, windshield, 27' DW rotor.

Mr Friendly, one more reminder... you must sign your posts with your real given name, or at least put it in your profile.

The 18 gallon tanks were built in the far east for Dominator but the comapny that built them is no more so these tanks are quite rare. Dominator may still have a few for sale, maybe you could check

I have got only one this "Far East" tank, but it was enough - it has certain engineering mistakes. In addition - it weights 14 kg (almost 31 lbs) and is narrow and very uncomfortable to sit in (even for my moderate stern.
BTW, Gerry Goodwin in Oz makes 45 L and 75L seat tanks (attached). I'm everytime missing what is US gallon - 3.5 or 3.8 Litres?

Attachments

• 75L_Seat_Tank_Side_View.jpg
    75L_Seat_Tank_Side_View.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1

[quote author=twistair link=board=14;threadid=183;start=15#msg3119 date=1073840913]
I'm everytime missing what is US gallon - 3.5 or 3.8 Litres?
[/quote]

3.8 Liters = 1 US gallon.

Aha! Caught it - 3.5 when you sell fuel to poor foreigner, 3.8 when buying it ;D

Thanks, Kevin.

That 22 deg. figure for prop pitch is indeed very high. On the tandem Dominator, there's room for a 70" prop. I'm using about 10.5 deg. on a 70" 3-blade Warp Drive on the 912S tandem Dom. This gives redline RPM at just under 70 mph (defintely a "climb" setting).

The Tandem is OK with two. I haven't yet flown in hot weather, but in the autumn weather with me at 180 and a friend at 210 or so, it seemed to climb at 600 FPM or thereabouts

Doug,
That was on a 60 in. prop. If you look at the pictures that Mike Gaspar posted you can see the pitch in the prop. It needed so much pitch Dad had to notch out the prop a little because it was hitting the pulley for the prerotator.

22 degrees sounds extroardinary - was this measured at the tip?
It also looks very short, which could account for the high pitch setting.
A Subaru with a 2.62 reduction will "cavitate" a 72" Warp Drive @ 15 degrees at about half throttle.