minimum airspeed in your gyro

Redbaron

Aircraft
bee
was wondering how slow you could fly in your gyro under high power with the nose high? I know this is behind the power curve flight and should be done at altitude! my bee will fly at 9-10 mph slow flight! :twitch:

I suspect instrument error, headwinds (you are not accounting for) or drugs (you should account for).

If you are flying with nose really high, then it is likely your pitot tube is not direct into the airstream or the Hal airspeed indicator is not in the correct position to read accurate thus the error

Tony

As ALWAYS this depends on wind conds, temp, humidity, total weight, engine hp, prop pitch etc.

You could check for YOUR gyro at satisfactory altitude (1500 ft min, better 2000 ft) at real ZERO windspeed with a good GPS. IAS-Pitot won´t show correct at nose high.

But wonder if it could be below 20 - 25 km/h ..............

Added from tony remark. The indicator measures the pressure difference between the probe and static pressure. When the nose is high, there may be a depression in the cabin. The indication is distorted (too low with a Venturi tube, too hight with a Pitot tube)
If you have a Rotax 503 and a propeller 65 ", you can not expect less of 20 mph (30 seconds of horizontal flight)
Jean Claude

Last edited:
Nose high with full power and slow airspeed UNLOADS the rotor, as the engines thrust supports a sizeable chunk of the all up weight of the aircraft. The rotors slow down and you risk inflight blade flap, especially if you have either very light blade loading or very high power to weight ratio. In other words Jeff.... your either full of crap, or if your doing what you say your doing, your putting yourself in danger, EXACTLY why we all suggested at least a few hours of lessons. TO identify and understand the risks you need to avoid

9 to 10 is nothing. I can make mine fly at 3 to 5mph hanging on the prop and as the rotor slows I fire up my prerotater to keeps the blades spinning.

9 to 10 is nothing. I can make mine fly at 3 to 5mph hanging on the prop and as the rotor slows I fire up my prerotater to keeps the blades spinning.
Good Grief!:eek:
You are just pulling our leg, ... Right? :lie:
Maybe just a lil' bit of "one-up-man-ship?:noidea:

Last edited:
Or roll her inverted, get the blades back up to speed, and roll her back upright

With my new turbo prop engine producing 600 pounds of thrust and a max gross of 500 pounds I can hold that baby nose high in the sky. My rotax 277 powered prerotater keeps the blades spinning. It takes a ton of left rudder to keep the nose straight.:wave: :)

With my new turbo prop engine producing 600 pounds of thrust and a max gross of 500 pounds I can hold that baby nose high in the sky. My rotax 277 powered prerotater keeps the blades spinning. It takes a ton of left rudder to keep the nose straight.:wave: :)

OK, NOW I understand! :D:D:D

Doesn't "Red" just bring out the best in all of us?

Last edited:
You bunch of wussies I went out yesterday with the Behemot and without having a friggin engine or blades on the damn thing I flew if slightly nose high and measure .0000372 mp/h. Beat that!
Uhum I have to edit this out. No I did not fly it. A friend of mine did it. Hand he is asking ........

Last edited:
I am sitting in my Helicycle right now. 0 mph. And no engine, I kid you not! Stan

And on Saturday I was hanging so long on my prop that the Earth rotated backwards and.........................................................:)

I converted my propeller hat to a powered rotor using a big rubber band. Man I can climb at a 1000 feet a min until the band runs out. Then i auto to the ground. Who need a stinking gyro to fly. And this was with zero forward speed :)

Very funny guys... Good ones.

As to Stan
I am sitting in my Helicycle right now. 0 mph. And no engine, I kid you not! Stan

And he's is making engine noises.... :lol: