More Information: Sparrowhawk

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
The following was posted in the Welcome Mat section by a new member, Dave Rains. I'm copying it here to help the response on this topic.

Hi, I'm new to the list. Am looking at options for replaceing one of the aircraft I use on a military installation for many things. I reviewed the web site for the sparrowhawk and found it interesting, however much information is missing. X-wind conponent, minimum safe speed, and how do these aircraft handle in areas with thermals from hell? I currently fly Cessnas, but have build and flown several different ultralights, with many hundreds of hours in the tiny planes. What are the realistic build times? Typical flight hours versus maintenance? Thanks.

SH POH tells that
- satisfactory handling was demonstrated for 9 m/s crosswind.
From our experience it's true. Minimum level speed is 55-60 kmh @550 kg weight.
Aircraft flies well in high turbulence, say 12 m/s wind with 5-6 m/s gust gradient.
Build time seems to be 700-800 hours from standard kit (tail assembled by builder) for first time builder, 300-400 for experienced one with good workshop.

Interesting. Is there a reason the speeds are not given in knots? Sure makes things easier for us simple folk. :rolleyes:
I believe the service ceiling was given as 10,000, if correct we may have difficulty on hot days here in El Paso. I think I'm going to fly to Buckeye and have a look.

Alex is from Russia, Dave, thus the metric units. You want to call the AAI dealer in Salt Lake City to get their input on flying the SH at high DA.

Udi