Has the TSA gone too far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found it!

Found it!

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/Amid-airport-anger_-GOP-takes-aim-at-screening-1576602-108259869.html

Amid airport anger, GOP takes aim at screening

Did you know that the nation's airports are not required to have Transportation Security Administration screeners checking passengers at security checkpoints? The 2001 law creating the TSA gave airports the right to opt out of the TSA program in favor of private screeners after a two-year period. Now, with the TSA engulfed in controversy and hated by millions of weary and sometimes humiliated travelers,.....

Mica, one of the authors of the original TSA bill, has recently written to the heads of more than 150 airports nationwide suggesting they opt out of TSA screening. "When the TSA was established, it was never envisioned that it would become a huge, unwieldy bureaucracy which was soon to grow to 67,000 employees," Mica writes. "As TSA has grown larger, more impersonal, and administratively top-heavy, I believe it is important that airports across the country consider utilizing the opt-out provision provided by law."....

The problem is, they're doing it all wrong. A recent Government Accountability Office study found that TSA "deployed SPOT nationwide without first validating the scientific basis for identifying suspicious passengers in an airport environment." .....

"It's not an Israeli model, it's a TSA, screwed-up model," says Mica. "It should actually be the person who's looking at the ticket and talking to the individual. Instead, they've hired people to stand around and observe, which is a bastardization of what should be done."....

there is another link if I can find it..... Ya know when one of the guys that wrote the bill says opt out maybe they should listen....

Last edited:
Who would have known.

Who would have known.

B,

I cannot disagree with you more. The whole thing from pre to post 911 is all theater. Any little "plot" is talked about ad nauseeum on the news. Remember during bush, the "summer of terror" ? It was all made up and Tom Ridge former head of home land security admitted so on several occasions, "they were done for political reasons". eg: elections ! I mean you could set your watch to this seasons election cycle, a la' terror b.s.

Barry you are smarter than that, and anyone who believes the drivel they are spouting on the tee vee as gospel is either mentally handicapped or selling something.

B, Its not just security they are cramming down our throats, did you know they are going after "organic" healthy foods, and vitamin supplements via S510, in fact you will not be allowed to grow a garden, or go to a real "farmers" market. They want to poison you from cradle to grave.

Consider a what if scenario, no liquids or creams or gels. now for a moment, do the math and tell me how many passengers it would take to put enough oz of stuff a and b to make a threat to an aircraft. If it was real security there would be NO fluids of any kind allowed. Again, this is all security "theater" designed to let low intelligence goons and thugs terrorize the elderly, fit young ladies, and pedophiles grope kids. That's all it is.

If there was such a real "threat" why did it take a year to implement the new procedures ?

Because there was no real threat, it was all a ploy for former head, Chertoff to cash in on our apathy. But there is hope, the backlash from all those negatively effected is huge and is going to be bigger than they anticipated. They have either 2 choices, 1. back down and get real, or 2. Add more fluoride to the water.

J

Once again......it's simple........only the powers at be actually know how many lives it has already saved.....we are not informed of everything...right?

And......it is voluntary.......we...volunteer to fly.....no one makes us against our will......everyone has the right to dis agree with the security methods....do I think it's ok for everyone?.......absolutely not......do I want my small children to be exposed to it?.......no.......and just as I don't want them exposed to drinking...drugs...and inappropriate movies.......I protect them from such things until they are mature enough for these things......so therefore....I have not exposed them to flying commercial.

My 19 year old daughter just took her first trip by air with me several weeks ago...I informered her on what to expect.....made it her choice if she wanted to accompany me.....and it was a great experience......once again.....if one does not agree with the methods.....then make the choice not to participate in it.

Sorry guys.....but.....life is sometimes difficult and not easy...but it is what we make of it.

Our Government and it's systems may not be alway right or fair...but...it is still better than most and it gives us all the right to voice our opinions....a lot of countries don't have this freedom....right?

What would YOUR reaction be if one of your loved ones perished in a crash caused by a terrorist?

Would you be screaming that MORE strict security measures should have been in place?

Come on guys........

Personally I feel Barry's view is much closer to reality.

Think back to the old days of hijacking; each time we create a new security measure like locking the doors, the terrorist HAVE TO change tactics and create some new way to KILL innocent civilians.

So it is working it is solely that they then adapt!

I just don't wish to go through the whole process anymore and will fly myself the majority of the time, hopefully always.

Besides it always feels like taking a buss, and I would rather drive!

Reality is that some travelers are going Intercontinental and taking a Cherokee or opting not to travel aint going to hack it.

You guys in the US have the vote. Take it up with your Congressman/ local airport and throw the TSA out.

Guys.....I don't live my life mad or angry......I don't live my life suspicious of everything around me or ticked off at the Government.

I live it for God, family and friends and I'll tell you.....for 50 years I'm doing pretty good.

Do you all really think the security personnel in the airports want to do this or get their jollies from it? I'll bet they hate the fact they have to do it. I have several friends in law enforcement who told me that they absolutely hate to pat-down individuals.

Not all terrorists look like terrorists.......Timothy McVieh looked like "one of us".

These fanatics do these things in the name of their God.....so the sacrifice of life is of no concern.....they believe they are right and just. How do you fight a force like this?

The world is changing and our security procedures must change to protect the innocent.

As in the business world....if you don't constantly change and re write your business plan....you will not stay in business for very long.

As I said before.......cut through all the hear say and BS you read and hear.......and yes......even the Government will only tell you what they want you to know. I deal with salesmen all the time that are nothing but great BS'rs........but....I know this while dealing with them and can still have a profitable and productive relationship with them.

As I said before.....Do I agree with everything being done?....no....Do I wish it was easier?.........yes.....Will I subject my young children to it?.......no.......but I am thankful that someone is there trying to stop anything bad from happening.

If you don't want to experience the hospitality of the TSA......you can always drive anywhere in the US in 2 days or less.......simple as that.....no reason to make it more difficult than it is.

Now.....stop arguing......let's get off the computer....and spend some time with family and friends.......it's much more productive than worrying all the time.

Barry (not too stressed...and doing OK) K

Last edited:
Gee, funny thing living in ALASKA I have to have a PASSPORT and traverse a foreign country to drive to a neighboring state, and I am sure all those people in hawaii would love to know they can drive anywhere in the US ina couple of days.

the bill of rights and limits they impose on big brother are NOT negotiable.

PC, for the children and for your own good. its BS and we are sick of it. the government does NOT know better and I have a written LAW that says so. TSA is out of control and doing ilegal things. If that gives you a warm fuzzy then you are in the WRONG place. that warm fuzzy attitude is what got us into this mess in the first place,

Dan

TSA chief John Pistole told the Senate this past week that we need to put 100% of passengers through invasive screening because "we face a determined enemy."

I would propose he use readily available means to find out who those enemies are and x-ray them, not everyone. A flight attendant this week was forced to remove the prosthetic breast she's worn since recovering from cancer surgery for examination before getting on her flight, and she's been working for the ailines for 32 years. This is madness!

Thank Mr. PIStole for putting the Fun back in :eek:Fumunda Cheese.:eek: The T.S.A. has out lived ite service and is Now Servicing the public.Isreal does it right, and this P.C. stuff is bull.:rant:

We could kill 2 birds with one stone. If they had Doctors do the screenings then it could count as your annual physical.

As far as the scanners go. There is no long term research available to determine whether the amount of radiation they are using will be harmful to frequent fliers. What about women who are pregnant in their first trimester? They may not even know they are pregnant and the TSA is radiating them.

PS. Can we request to get groped by a female agent instead of a male agent?

Last edited:
Spent a little time with our new Senator Friday that has moved up from a Congressman.

I think there is some surprises coming after January 1st. The "Transformation of American" is about to butt heads with specifics of the strict Constitutional intent.

There will be alot of defunding of regulatory programs. And a reduction of federal spending.

All Cabinet position will have to come before a committee for approval, and those Czars that are now interpreting recently past laws into new regulations will probably be a thing of the past.

TSA was a topic. I think you will see Political Correctness fall away, and a more common sense approach which will include profiling. They will push hard for control on the southern boarders.

Our past Governor is the head of the new Obamacare program. I think our state will strongly reject the program in the near future.

My interest was in our future in education budgets. The additional financial burden the Federal Heath Care Plan will put on the state in 2 years will result in reduced dollars to schools, specifically rural school. The small towns will loose their school and when the school is gone, the local economy craters and the town disappears.

It will be interesting to see as the Veto pen carries weight.

While this subject began with screening there is no doubt that well meant policies, regulations, and programs implemented by most Governments are for the well being of the citizens. It is however inevitable that these do not always succeed as well as was intended.

As long as the Government concerned has a reasonable policy for the amendment and or repeal of those which are seen to be flawed or not working things may be slow but should reult in an improvement of the system, when it does not there is a problem.

I believe recent changes are in the pipeline for screening of pilots and flight crew.

with the job I have now I am flying all the time. If you don't like what they do don't fly. If you HAVE to fly shut up and let them do the job they HAVE to do. When the next Jet falls out of the sky from someone getting on with whatever. You can thank the cry baby who will be the same guy bit??ing about how they let the guy on the plane. I would make it law that you have to fly nude. get over it.

We are The Borg.

We are The Borg.

with the job I have now I am flying all the time. If you don't like what they do don't fly. If you HAVE to fly shut up and let them do the job they HAVE to do. When the next Jet falls out of the sky from someone getting on with whatever. You can thank the cry baby who will be the same guy bit??ing about how they let the guy on the plane. I would make it law that you have to fly nude. get over it.

Sigh.
"Resistance is futile. We are The Borg. We are The Collective. We are The Government. Resistance is futile. Do not attempt to use your puny 4th amendment rights, we are The Borg."

There is a more intelligent effective way of insuring air safety. Present day TSA methods aren't it! So in the mean time or until they come to their senses I will take your advice not to fly.

TSA enhanced search

TSA enhanced search

And the fact is EVEN NUDE a determined terrorist can circumvent the system.
Virtual Stripsearch or patdowns are not only ineffective "fluf" that we are paying for. We pay for it in money, wasted time searching grandmas and pilots that don't need to carry on weapons if they were a threat. Following the PC pathways such as this while ignoring other proven methods only leads to larger and larger institutions that we are all funding. Is this hand patting the new stimulous for new jobs? MORE goverment jobs that we need? We need to get more help patting down people if they refuse to be subjected to radiation or virtually strip searched?

Instead of using focused Profiling (detection using brain) we use the limited time and resources to screen quantity instead of quality. Now it is just easier to get through luggage. For all the money are we really safer? I am not simply going to submit to mass stripsearches while they ignore sound methods such as deduction and logic.

If I had money to invest in fishing it sure wouldn't be with a captain that wants to drag the nets across the whole ocean to find the fish. This is a huge expense with no predictable results other than knowing that once spooked the fish will move somewhere else to feed. I would trust a captain that used the knowledge to know where to fish and how to draw them out.

No, I am not against reasonable searches but except for a flight we are already booked on, I am one of those who will travel another way if possible next time.

My godmother needs a visit from me soon out in Rhode Island and although arguably it is cheaper to fly than drive -I am not going to even call for prices. Until they stop the PC crap - search everyone or no one menatality I am not going to participate on their stinkin fishing trip.

Oh yea 10,000.00 fine can be levied on you if you start the process and then back out. You see, that way a terrorist cant start the search and then end it if they thought they would be caught - according to the TSA website. Oh, so a terrorist won't just ignite anyway in a group of people? Or maybe they will just pay the fine and slip away anyway to come back another day... Great logic in that too.... :( They sure got it all figured out. I feel real safe and happy to be violated now....

Last edited:
Read this article from CBS:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/28/eveningnews/main5347847.shtml

Excerpt:
"On a plane at altitude, the effects of such a bomb could be catastrophic. And there is no current security system that could stop it.

"Absolutely nothing other than to require people to strip naked at the airport," said Yates.

And al Qaeda says it will share its new technique via the Internet very soon. There is nothing that can stop that either. "
End of Excerpt.

A dog is more effective at sniffing explosives that the current method the TSA uses but can't use them........guess why?
Correct! It might offend a certain group and we can't have that can we?

Hmm?? That did not stop Food and Agriculture using that cute little Beagle they brought in to the baggage area and immediately found some food on a guy who had brought off the plane with him.

I did ask if their choice of breed was it's scenting ability but the answer was that it was because it was the least threatening type as it was being used on people not baggage.

Lets stick to the facts people not myths.

The Muslum idiots shot there wad at the airports:eek:-Next it will be a mass hit at Disney land,vegas,out side of airports ,Bus & Train depots:twitch:-Any place where people wait in large groups.:der: Thats what we have to wait for. the next move.....:censored:

Hmm?? That did not stop Food and Agriculture using that cute little Beagle they brought in to the baggage area and immediately found some food on a guy who had brought off the plane with him.

I did ask if their choice of breed was it's scenting ability but the answer was that it was because it was the least threatening type as it was being used on people not baggage.

Lets stick to the facts people not myths.

Not that I don't trust you but can you link me to the story where all people are sniffed by dogs?
You said they brought a dog in the baggage area....no mention of sniffing people. Anyone can tie a bag to a person. BUTT can they tie an explosive to a rectum? Pun intended.
The only time I've ever seen a dog at a secure baggage area was in Ft. Lauderdale and Freeport the Bahamas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.