MAKS 2009 Moscow

9aplus

Some giros seen on MAKS 2009 Moscow, Zukovski
autogiri1sm.jpg

autogiri2sm.jpg

autogiri3sm.jpg

autogiri4sm.jpg

Aw jeez, first it was Sputnik when they beat us with a sattlite launch and now there doing it again with the great gyro designs, I really like that MAN-208

Tony

The construction of the mast is complex

Janusz

Hi Janusz,

Thanks, but I was referring to the gyro in the last picture.

The one in your picture looks a little scary to me; looks like to much frontal area compared to vertical stab area, IMHO.

There's a lot about that rotorhead that is new to me. Looks like the hub bar in the middle is a pretty thin strap of metal, and what are the other linkages above the hub bar?

I can't tell; does it have offset like a Bensen rotorhead?

I can't see the roll pivot, but I can see a control rod going to the head that looks like it would control roll.

It also looks like the teeter axis is not perpendicular to the blades (what is that angle called?)

Very nice looking machine.

It appears to me..

It appears to me..

that the gyro configuration is simply an option, the fixed wing sitting next to it appears to be the same companys offering with a wing!
How cool is that! I want to fly one or both.
Ben S

MAI (the backwards "N" is a Cyrillic "I") is the Moscow Technical Institute, a public engineering university. We may be looking at a class project here, or an experiment. If I get the time later I'll take a shot at translating the description.

The card claims a gross weight of 550, empty 230, top speed 195, minimum speed 30, all figures metric, so multiply the weights by 2.2 and speeds by .61 to get pounds and mph. 15-30 meters to take off and 15-0 to land (for numbers like that just treat meters as yards). It's powered by a 912S.

But perhaps the most useful info on the card is the website:

http://www.oskbes.ru/english.html

(to get the original russian page just stop at the second slash).

cheers

-=K=-

There's a lot about that rotorhead that is new to me. Looks like the hub bar in the middle is a pretty thin strap of metal, and what are the other linkages above the hub bar?

I can't tell; does it have offset like a Bensen rotorhead?

I can't see the roll pivot, but I can see a control rod going to the head that looks like it would control roll.

It also looks like the teeter axis is not perpendicular to the blades (what is that angle called?)

Very nice looking machine.
What looks like a hub is a flex strap that allows free coning. The scissors links above take the thrust and feathering loads. A central hub hinge and scissors link would do the same thing.

What resembles cow horns in the center appears to be a droop stop.

More information on this gyro here:

http://www.oskbes.ru/208_e.htm

Specifications
(rated)

Max takeoff weight 550 kg
Payload 230 kg
Maximum level speed 160 km/h
Min. speed in straight-and-level flight 50 km/h
Maximal rate-of-climb 4,5 m/sec
Take-off run (max takeoff weight) 100 m
Landing run 0…30 m
Max. chemicals weight 100 kg
Height (flight configuration) 2,9 m
Height (transport configuration — folded rotor) 2,1 m
Rotor span 10 m
Length (without rotor) 5,3 m
Engine Rotax 912S,
100 h. p.

What looks like a hub is a flex strap that allows free coning. The scissors links above take the thrust and feathering loads. A central hub hinge and scissors link would do the same thing.

Chuck, is there any advantage to that over the stiff hub bars that we use?

The intent of the flex strap is to remove bending stress from the blade roots, Michael.

The R-22 does that with a 3-hinge hub.

Gyros that fly at very nearly constant coning angles and don’t have feathering bearings to worry about don’t really gain anything.

Also, the reduction of inplane hub stiffness can exacerbate the 2/rev shake problem.