Seeking Gyro Repair Equipment for Mentone

MrGrey

I am going to put it out there as a pet project that I would like to head up and work towards acquiring some non standard equipment for our members use during the convention. In particular I am seeking any MIG or TIG welding equipment that is applicable to building.

During the convention I witnessed the need for such equipment when Scott Biser needed to weld a strut on his dominator, and when Doug Smith needed his 912 exhaust repaired. Both could have kept them on the ground for prolonged amounts of time and possibly delayed trips home, luckily Glen Bundy assisted with his MIG welder but it required removing the items.

Seems like at every convention I have been at the need has been there. Ron Awad could have stayed longer at Bensen Days this year if we could have TIG welded his muffler....

Since we have a long time till next year this should be a simple task to fulfill. I have become rather proficient with my TIG welder at home and have been welding aluminum and chromoly for kicks....let alone the even more skilled hands that are ever present to lend a hand.

Finally, they could be instrumental tools that could be used to teach at our conventions and make us better builders...

Contact me if you would like to help in this small endeavor.

Thank you,

Matt

How much would a welder cost? Do you want to set up a paypal payment option for donations?

Thanks guys! I have also been contacted privately from a few members supporting the idea of an onsite TIG machine. We already have cash pledges and will look around on craigslist in the Chicago area for a machine. They can sometimes be found relatively cheap. Give me some time to locate a price range....

Matt, Great idea! Something to consider, most machines are water cooled so leaving in a unheated hangar it will freeze. I use distilled water in my machines & have never neaded any antifreeze protection because the shop is heated. Some machines are air cooled & are OK for short runs.The machines keep getting smaller & smaller while the cost goes up. A good buzz box can be had cheap for fab work on heavier metal like the the Blade Hoist we all can use at Mentone. A dedicated 50 amp socket would be nice so machines could be switched easily. Argon tanks can be pricey if you lease? I chose to buy my own tank for 225.00 & just have it filled when empty.

This would be a great asset to the airport for the members, Thanks for your insite!

Matt, Great idea! Something to consider, most machines are water cooled so leaving in a unheated hangar it will freeze. I use distilled water in my machines & have never neaded any antifreeze protection because the shop is heated. Some machines are air cooled & are OK for short runs.The machines keep getting smaller & smaller while the cost goes up. A good buzz box can be had cheap for fab work on heavier metal like the the Blade Hoist we all can use at Mentone. A dedicated 50 amp socket would be nice so machines could be switched easily. Argon tanks can be pricey if you lease? I chose to buy my own tank for 225.00 & just have it filled when empty.

This would be a great asset to the airport for the members, Thanks for your insite!

Thanks Rick... like anything it always helps to be prepared. Would be nice to help our members when in need. Every year I have been to Mentone and BD there have been multiple people that could have utilized a TIG machine to perform repairs on their machines. I will keep bottom feeding on craigslist and ebay for a diamond in the rough. We have plenty of time......

Sounds like you have the skills to possibly teach a forum at Mentone on the TIG process and show members that it is not as hard as one would believe. I have seen people pick it up after a dozen or so hours under the hood and have clean safe welds.

I have a water cooled machine myself and it is a very nice tool to have in the garage. I just did my first "repair" on an aluminum boat ladder and came out real nice. I started using a pile of unwanted street signs and taught myself to run a "stack of nickles" and then started to join pieces. I can say that having a significant amount of time gas welding that it was very helpful in the transition to TIG.

Matt , I would be glad to show any member the fundamentals of TIG or even do a repair or two. I would like to see a New Blade Hoist be built for everybodys use at the Airport. This could be a group project after the equipment is in place?

Outermark, I don`t think this is one of those Mission Essential things that the BOD would fund?

Jeff, A Buzz box is what I call a Stick Welder & would be nice to have for some heavier iron Fab work.

Keep us posted Matt! You never know where this will go?

Rick I will check the shed this week, but I believe I have an old 225 amp welder that I bought a long time ago and never hooked it up. If it looks like it will still work I will let you know. I am going to Mt. Vernon this weekend and maybe someone can get the unit closer from there.

OuterMarker

Hi Albert

I think the big problem we in the PRA are facing right now is that this last convention was such an explosive growth :)) :) :) :) ) for which we are excedingly grateful, that it is going to take all of the organizational funds applied to major projects like a new water well to handle the growth, new electrical distribution panels and outlets and buried cable installation for the vendor rows plus all of the safety items to go with such growth, also probably renovation of the bathrooms and showers. All this, and it would be very desirable to have a paved back taxiway in the future and this will require adding new ground to the West (FAA spacing requirement between runway and taxiway). Then of course there are always the "unexpected" expenses and "opportunities" that could arise.

The up side of all of this is it gives the dedicated members an opportunity to organize and contribute to there individual goals and ambitions ( mine was the classroom). The other projects that could be handled by groups, individuals, or chapters are the items like the rotor hoist/hang test frame, safety equipment like fire extinguishers, safety cones for edge markers, maybe sponsor the rent on a couple of golf carts for the convention, just anything you can think of that is going to benifit the convention and all the members, let your imagination be the limit.

Tony

PS why not have all 3 mig, tig, and stick ????

OK

It's time to start and "official" evaluation (called argument) on welders. Since the only welder I ever used (just a little bit at that) was a Millermatic 35 (I think) and liked it what little time I use it and that was years ago, so it will be probably obsolete by now.

Since there will probably be many others out there that are like myself who have very little knowledge of welding equipment, but might run on to a "great buy" for the shop at Mentone, what brands, sizes, features ect ect should we look for or avoid. I know LINCLON, MILLER, HOBART, CRAFTSMAN. I know DC, AC, MIG,TIG, STICK and that's my total vocabulary and knowledge of welders. So--- let's hear it from you welder guys about why you like one over the other and what size would be "minimum" ect ect. I see a ton of stuff on E-Bay at all prices, and see a lot of stuff at auctions.

Tony

Matt and Tony. This is the welder is was talking about. If you think it will work for the stick welder, then I can bring it to Mt.Vernon this weekend and maybe some one else can carry it farther up on it's journey to Mentone.

The price is right. It is surplus to me, and I will donate it or loan it as the case may be.

Attachments

• DSC00001.jpg
    DSC00001.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00002.jpg
    DSC00002.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 0
Welder

Welder

Hi Jeff

Looks like a good deal to me, Like I said, let's shoot for all 3 types, it should not be that expensive and if we work on it all year we should have them by convention time, same with all the other things the convention could use, START NOW!

Tony

PS any advice on the other types like amp output or type of wire feed ect ect

Great idea Matt. I was upset to see Ron trailer his bird early because of his exhaust. I saw it.

Ron was it as simple as a weld all the way around that crack when you got home?