Arctic cat engine on Dominator

All In, Yes it is still providing thrust , mater of fact in flight I hit 7200 rpm as the airspeed increased, I'll have to put a tad bit more pitch in it.
I am running a 2.58:1 gearbox so prop speed is: 2596rpm @ 6700 engine RPM.

Very cool Scott!!
Keep us posted, Thanks.

Lovely installation Scott, best of luck with it. Im looking forward to seeing what you think of it in flight compared to the 582
Paddy

Another feather in yer cap Scott! Looks great from the pix here

Scott,
That is an impressive installation. That may be a good engine conversion for the 503s that want a little more umph.
What radiator are you using?

Thrust gauge

Thrust gauge

Guys,

I said I wished I could claim the idea, but it wasn't mine.
Here is where I started, and then put twenty foot of hose between the piston and the gauge. Just be sure the hose is full of oil and NO bubbles.

http://www.kcdawnpatrol.org/pull-tester.html

:hail:

Friendly, the radiator is from a 1979 Honda Goldwing 1200. It seems to have more Oomph than the 582.

Scott, I really admire your talent of simplicity for your engine install. Looking at all the work I put into mine I am jealous even with how you can do the same thing with far less parts.
My engines do put out more horsepower and have the potential to put out much more horse power with add on Turbo's or superchargers so I will continue to do mine the complex way so that I can sleep at nite.
With that being said I am still jealous of your design. Good job my friend and thanks for the video.... She sounds sweet!

Racer don't sell yourself short, All I did was take an old tech 2 stroker and replace the rotax 2 stroke. I mean the crankshaft taper was the same, and I machined 1 plate.
It lent itself to a simple conversion.
You have taken the new technology and handed it to us in an affordable package that might even change light aviation with a powerful light weight reliable powerplant.
Your craftsmanship looks to be 1st class, and well thought out, I am very impressed.
I need to talk to you about another deal........ :)

Scott,

Have you flown lately? I watched your run up again. Wild! Noticed it still sounded like a snow mobile. Someday I would like to have a gyro with only prop noise. Nice setup.

Not flown since the first time, I have been busy, or the weather has been bad, I have company this weekend, so we will see, but it is supposed to rain too, so I'll let you know.

Thanks, Scott
Very interesting, keep us informed, a video with sound would be very cool?

Thanks Scott, I had set the youtube volume control to zero! I have sound again!!!

Rotax question for Scott

Rotax question for Scott

Scott,I was just sitting here tonight and a thought popped into my head,yeah that happens at times, anyway not to high jack this thread,but the forum would not let me start a new one and I know you work on Rotax's so i figure you would be the best to ask.

would a Aerocarb with a 2 into 1 intake work on a rotax 582. reason I ask, is in the Mini 500 threads, Dennis stated the problem with some of the engines seizeing was improper jetting, the aerocarb has in flight mixture control.

just wondered if you think this carb and a custom intake would work on a Rotax. seems if it would,it would be nice to have in a Mini -500 or even a Gyro with the Rotax engine.

seems an carb with inflight mixture control would be easyer to tune the the 2 carbs on the Rotax.

just wondered what your take would be on this thought?

BTW your new engine setup is sweet.

Do you mean a Manual In-cockpit Mixture Control Kit for Rotax 2-stroke UL series engines.

http://www.greenskyadventures.com/bing/HACmanFAQ.htm

Chuck, no I was thinking about the Aero carb,by sonex like I have ordered for my Subaru, they have inflight mixture control, was thinking about a cross over intake to mount a single larger carb with mixture control to the 582, just wondered if anyone had ever tryed that.

was just thinking about it,becouse Dennis said one of the problems with the Mini-500 was improper jetting, Jetting = mixture,and that got me thinking about the Aerocarb and a cross over, also the aerocarb is claimed to be more resistant to carb ice, so that would be a plus also, if it would work.

just some of my crazy thoughts that go thru my mind.

Now if Sonex will just get my carb shipped out to me.
not to happy with them right now, $400.00 + carb and they don't even keep them in stock, been waiting several weeks now.