Mini-500 Color Scheme

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
Got a clean slate to work on so I am laying-out the color scheme on the white fuselage before I paint it 2-tone white/black. I will cut the red swoosh-swirl out of paper with scissors. Then I will scan the pieces, trace it in AutoCAD, and cut a spray mask with my vinyl letter/sign cutting plotter. That will make mirroring the design for the other side, a piece-o-cake.

DSCN4439_zps0cafd41f.jpg

DSCN4440_zps09edf830.jpg

I was hoping to see a Georgia State Patrol scheme !!! Than you could land anywhere.

Bryan- Your paint scheme will be awesome. I love the design and the color choices.

Stan

Bryan, I'm not a fan of the black, white/red and white with white skids. I'm sure it will be sharp no matter what the colors. Stan V.

Pearl white and candie apple red with a clear coat. I just added two pounds to your build. Stan V.

Pearl white and candie apple red with a clear coat. I just added two pounds to your build. Stan V.

Yes it would ;).

I'm just using plain ol' PPG Concept single-stage. You can feel the edges with your finger.

Simple to apply. Has a tremendous amount of pigment so can be applied very thin.

The console and any glass parts that show inside are gonna be very dark gray. The frame components and skids will be dark Lycoming Gray.

The inside walls of the engine bay will be medium gray.

I will do a custom 6"-8" decal celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Hughes 500 (this year)

N-Number will be N965W. (965 was my badge number) 6" Black w/red drop shadow.

Edwards Associates did a SooooPerb job on that old OH-58 in the front didn't they??????

Bryan Cobb

It is a good exercise to cut out different color schemes and tape them to your fuselage in order to pick out something nice

But most of us men screw it up every time

Get your little sister or your daughter or your wife or an artist friend to come up with something

Oh Arnie,

When I saw that MD500N with the white over black with red accents, there was no decision to be made. THAT WAS IT. I bought the PPG Deltron Base/Clearcoat system Paint off Ebay last week. At the local PPG jobber, it's $120/qt for most colors. The TORCH RED (GM Color) is $139. On Ebay, it was only $29/qt $32/qt (red) plus $25 shipping per qt.

That saved me a lot of bucks. Base Color GM Linnen White, GM Black, GM Torch Red.

Paint on Robinson Rotor Blades

Paint on Robinson Rotor Blades

Hi guys,

Does anyone have the factory color scheme for Robinson main rotor blades?

I figure they did a lot of research on in-flight visibility for other aircraft and the strobe effect in the pilot's peripheral vision.

I think it was flat black bottom surfaces with medium gray upper surfaces with 2 bold yellow tip stripes that wrap.

Bryan, I would think that some "hi-vis" color in the paint scheme would be good, from a safety standpoint. Just my $0.02. John K.

Oh Arnie,

When I saw that MD500N with the white over black with red accents, there was no decision to be made. THAT WAS IT. I bought the PPG Deltron Base/Clearcoat system Paint off Ebay last week. At the local PPG jobber, it's $120/qt for most colors. The TORCH RED (GM Color) is $139. On Ebay, it was only $29/qt $32/qt (red) plus $25 shipping per qt.

That saved me a lot of bucks. Base Color GM Linnen White, GM Black, GM Torch Red.

Bryan ... You are lucky to be able to get Deltron ... the environmentalists up here made body shops switch to water borne base coat. I love Deltron ... sprayed lots of it , our monthly paint bill was the equivalent of a new car.

If they ever try to ban it in USA stock up on the colors you may need in the future .... Deltron Base has an infinite shelf life so dont throw out the leftovers. I saw your paint pictures on another thread ... looking good.

White & two yellow stripes flat black bottoms yellow tips For robinson , But If you want to be seen one white blade & one black blade tops. yellow tips,

Thanks, I thought the tops were gray but I guess they are white.

1997 Mini-500 Alpha

1997 Mini-500 Alpha

Here's a pretty good pic of me landing in 1997 at Habersham County (KAJR), 100 Miles away across mountains and forests to help Phil Colaco balance his.

Heat from the muffler had bubbled the paint on the access panel and I had just repainted it and the stripes were not applied yet.

minilanding_zps6d155a50.jpg