Wunderlich on a VW

Barney Bahle

Aircraft
Rotorway 162F, Mosquito XEL
Anybody here have pictures of a Wunderlich lower mounted on a VW engine? Looking for ideas on if and how I can make the parts I have work.

The spinny thing points toward the airpusher; but slightly above it and not touching it..
The do-hicky and do-hocky arms are zip-tied to those big lump heads on either side. I like to use "Gorilla" glue for a bit of extra hold; it is really strong.
Crap!
What am I talkin bout!
I threw mine away.

Wunderlichs / Calumetair VW parts

Wunderlichs / Calumetair VW parts

We have a plate that covers the generator stand hole and provides the mount for the bearing housing, for VW's with the prop on the pulley end, for the crank end prop mount, we have a spine mount.

I couldn't find the pictures. I'll check the shop computer to see if they are there.

All parts are available, maybe even in stock. :)

Last edited:
Well David, my air pusher goes the opposite direction as yours. My engine has more stuff sticking up that looks like it will get in the way of the cable that attaches to the spiny thing. The do-hicky and do-hocky arms I have will fit your engine but I can't find tip ties long enough to make them fit mine. And to top it all off my Gorilla Glue hasn't been used in so long it has turned into a solid mass in the bottle.

Or in English...My B8 with the Brock VW (HAPI 1835) conversion came with a Wunderlich lower unit for a Mac engine in one of the boxes of extra parts. I have an upper unit off an Air Command, and a cable that as of now appears to be too long. I'd like to reuse as much of this as possible but need a little guidance in the right direction.

Tom, my prop is on the pulley end of the engine and any pictures you can dig up would be greatly appreciated. If you can PM me an exploded view and price list that would also be great.

Last edited:
Barney,
Here is the best I have.
The drum drive does not fit with the Force One bearing on the Great Planes crankshaft.
I had to make an adaptor to make this work.
Later I did away with the Wunderlich and installed a bevel gear with shafts.
A search on this forum will have pictures of the new system.
Check under "Winter mods of my KB-2".

Rick

Attachments

• Drumdrive.jpg
    Drumdrive.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Sorry I'm a little slow to respond. I'm absolutely swamped in the shop again.

Thanks Rick for the pictures and Jeff for the link. I need to finish reading up on Ricks mod but it all makes more sense now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well David, my air pusher goes the opposite direction as yours.

I think this might be part of the problem!
My air pusher is blowing hot air
sounds like yours is sucking wind?

I found one picture of the VW pulley end mount.

I also have a VW Vertex magneto that is surplus to my needs, if anyone could use it.

Attachments

• VW pulley end.jpg
    VW pulley end.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 7