FAA issues new student pilot rules.....

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
A heads-up from AOPA's ..daily aviation brief!

"Under a new rule released today by the FAA, student pilots will no longer get their student pilot certificate from an aviation medical examiner. Instead, they can apply in person at a FSDO, through a designated pilot examiner, with a Part 141 flight school or a CFI. The TSA will vet the application, and then a plastic certificate will be sent to the student by the Civil Aviation Registry. Earlier proposals to charge a $22 fee and require a photo have been withdrawn. Student pilots still will have to visit an AME to acquire a separate medical certificate. The new rule takes effect April 1.

Student pilots who already have a paper certificate can continue to use it until it expires, according to the rule. Plastic replacements can be requested, but there will be a $2 fee. How long it will take for the TSA to complete its vetting process is not clear. The FAA says it will "take steps to expedite student pilot applications ... so they may exercise the privileges of the certificate as soon as feasible." The FAA estimates that the turnaround time "can be reduced to an average of 3 weeks or less, provided that initial security vetting by TSA indicates that the applicant is eligible for the certificate." If an applicant is deemed ineligible by the TSA on security grounds, he or she will be able to appeal that decision through the TSA's administrative procedures.
"

More ... here! http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/FAA-Issues-New-Student-Pilot-Rules-225505-1.html

Nice. More paperwork to get a student pilot cert. This looks like TSA request to the FAA. I am sure intentions are valid and good but like anything else the government starts meddling in it becomes an inefficient, sometimes illogical slowdown

There are about 400,000 licensed pilots in the U.S. who have not ever been vetted by the TSA. Starting by screening all new student certificates, as older unscreened pilots die off, they'll eventually have all active aviators screened by about the year 2075. Must be a real high security risk for such fast action.

It doesn't specifically impact sport pilot rules as such. It does potentially put a delay period in front of anyone wanting to begin flight instruction toward, sport pilot, recreational pilot or private pilot.

Last edited:
It doesn't specifically impact sport pilot rules as such. It does potentially put a delay period in front of anyone wanting to begin flight instruction toward, sport pilot, recreational pilot or private pilot.

How does it do that Jon?

I thought you could begin training without a student pilot certificate and the student pilot certificate was not needed till solo.

Has this changed?

How does it do that Jon?

I thought you could begin training without a student pilot certificate and the student pilot certificate was not needed till solo.

Has this changed?

Yes, im very interested in this, I have been taking training and have never recieved a student pilots certificate?

Reading the rule the student pilot certificate is required to solo. same as before.

The only change is a background check before issuing the certificate and also changes who can issue the certificate.

The rule does say who can accept and submit the application.

A casual attitude!

A casual attitude!

Just my impression( possibly erroneous???) of many starting training (& even many of those giving training) ... in the gyro community at large ... ... seems to HAVE BEEN pretty casual in regards to the official FAA paperwork ...UNTIL it was essential for solo - rating addition - DPE test! :noidea:

As as majority of current gyro pilots were already holders of another previous rating - FW or Helo - this has not affected too many!

I think NOW we have quite a few more "first-rating" student pilots entering the gyro community with the attraction of new-gen gyros - this will be essential information to be disseminated!

My primary gyro instructor when I began in 2011 ... got me started out right .... I had my student pilot cert in hand from the start & then had all those TSA permit-to take-flight-training hoops to jump through - being a non US citizen!:rolleyes:

I found this pic from that exciting day on my Ipad ... not sure if i ever posted it!

..... the beginning of my gyro-journey - ( for those who are newer here!)
http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30977

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The strict interpretation of the current rule says it isn't needed for initial training. However, since a CFI is already responsible for identity records immediately upon taking on a student, if the TSA records are tied to the student pilot license, as it seems they may be, I can see IACRA being the input method for this.

So, a CFI has two choices: Input the data and wait for the result or start training immediately after relating to the student that should the result not come back approved, it's over...or at least over until the student successfully appeals the decision, if that happens. This is why I used the word "potential."

Some of the larger flight schools already issue the student pilot certificate as a first step, though I expect their current motivation is fee-based.

I suppose you could wait until the solo stage to see if a student gets denied, but my own preference would be to find out sooner than after several hours of investment.

Last edited:
How does this effect sport pilot rules ?

In one way, the new rule helps an aspiring Sport Pilot. Formerly, a student pilot without a medical exam could only apply for a Student Pilot License by going to an FAA FSDO or by seeking out a DPE. The new rules permit a CFI to also take the application.

There are about 400,000 licensed pilots in the U.S. who have not ever been vetted by the TSA. Starting by screening all new student certificates, as older unscreened pilots die off, they'll eventually have all active aviators screened by about the year 2075. Must be a real high security risk for such fast action.

It would not surprise me to think that every time there is any activity on your record, (New Ratings, New Medical), there is a screening going on behind the scenes that you do not know about.

Perhaps, but I've never heard of a case in which the FAA attempted to pull someone's existing pilot certificate, or refused to issue a new rating or medical certificate, based upon TSA security concerns about the pilot.

so if a student plans on soloing before April will this hold up his training?

Sincerely SWilliams

Thanks Vance. Was going to go to my local FSDO office tomorrow. Just in case they need the extra time.

Sincerely SWilliams

Perhaps, but I've never heard of a case in which the FAA attempted to pull someone's existing pilot certificate, or refused to issue a new rating or medical certificate, based upon TSA security concerns about the pilot.

We would likely never hear about it in any event.
Anyone that can land an LSA Aircraft on a 50 ft wide runway already has the skill needed to fly a 747 into a 1000 ft tall bulding. The cat is already out of the bag!
Letting them know that they are in the cross hairs might cause them to act sooner than later.
It is probably better to watch them from a distance and then catch them in the act.

Let's be glad the idiots used commercial airliners for their terrorist activities.
If they had loaded up a Cessna with a few hundred pounds of explosives, general aviation would be a thing of the past.

Yes, im very interested in this, I have been taking training and have never recieved a student pilots certificate?

Get it be Mike. Get the student pilot cert

so if a student plans on soloing before April will this hold up his training?

Sincerely SWilliams

No. After April. You need to get the student pilot feet for sport pilot by making an appointment with your local FAA FSDO and get the student pilot cert. you can solo on it much after April.

Thanks Abid. Will call tomorrow for appointment.