Need your expert opinions guys

dpmulvan

I'm looking at building an ultra light gyro to use on my 250 acres in Upstate NY. I weigh 180 lbs and want a single seater. I want to build it from scratch because to me thats half the expeirence. If any of you experienced guys could point me in the right direction that would be great. I did check out jakes build and a hornet something like that would be perfect. I do plan on reading everything I can on this site,ordering a few books and taking flight lessons.

Come on down for Bensen Days and see for yourself what the gyro community has to offer in home built gyros.

http://www.bensendays.us.com/

See how they fly and talk to everyone about everything gyro.
There will be a lot of home built gyros to choose from , that you may want to build.

You can also buy parts at the event to get you started.

~~JAKE~~

Another option is to get a Butterfly Ultralight kit. While you won't have to build everything from scratch, there is still plenty of work to build and assemble an ultralight gyro and when you are done you can have a modern design, center thrust Gyro, that includes a Pre-rotator and all the basics you will need and still hits the legal weight limit. Many a scratch built Gyro has been built and when all was said and done, it busted the legal wight limit, so if you go from scratch be very careful and realize you have to be aware of every ounce and probably do without some things you would like to have.

I think I'm going to fly down there and check it out. I did find a 503 pretty cheap $200 minus exhaust, intake, carbs. Don't understand why someone would put something together without knowing total weight.

I think I'm going to fly down there and check it out..

Great ,I'll see ya there and give ya the tour.

If your camping , sign up while spots are open.

If your going to a motel, get it now.

The Bensen Days web sight will help you with hotels.

Happy to have ya come.

I think coming to BD's is a good way to learn about gyro's... I did that last year.

Suggestion: Plan to be here as long as you can (the full event if your schedule allow)... there is a lot to learn!

And you probably will get a ride or two if you ask... :)

Hi David

A true legal ultralight can be built. However it's very hard to make weight and many are fat ultralights = illegal! And if caught ooops....

Coming to Bensen Days is a great idea if you wish to really learn the differences, it's about the only way!

Also as you asked for advice, I would not build an ultralight from scratch, when the best one I've seen so far is a kit!

Now out of full disclosure: I'm the US agent for Aviomania Aircraft, However in this case I want and would buy a Butterfly kit from a competitor, until Nicolas brings his kit to market.
The Butterfly ultralight comes with an electric prerotator similar to the one Nicolas of Aviomania Aircraft 1st brought to the gyroplane market and is suppose to make legal weight!

If I did not have the 15K, I start a new business and earn it, or take a 2nd job for a few mounts and done deal!