Red Baron How is "Da killa Bee"doing?

Fuel on best tank, mixture rich, check fuel pump on, (*carburetor heat on) trim for best glide evaluate landing zone(s), check wind direction, try to restart, change tanks, try to restart, setup approach, look for polls (not wires) fly over polls, evaluate type of landing required….

good deal all in, the acceleration and climb rate of the machine, gyrobee will consume you! she is a nice machine! :whoo:

Fuel on best tank, mixture rich, check fuel pump on, (*carburetor heat on) trim for best glide evaluate landing zone(s), check wind direction, try to restart, change tanks, try to restart, setup approach, look for polls (not wires) fly over polls, evaluate type of landing required….

If I can learn one thing from anyone on anything it a great thing to me so I've chosen to be trained by the best and most well know names in the business in every TYPE of aircraft I fly until it's so automatic I could do it in my sleep in every TYPE of aircraft including parasail’s. Bob Hover taught me to do a 1 G loop in any plane, put a glass of water on the dash and keep it there. Oh training helps a lot…
Every forced landing so far as only resulted in getting the tires dirty.

when tha **** hits the fan the stick gently comes forward for our
gentle flight down, is a sycamore seed a bad thing? :noidea:

Jeff, what is your emergency landing procedures check list that you are teching yourself?

hey all-in! gyro junkie!

If I can learn one thing from anyone on anything it a great thing to me so I've chosen to be trained by the best and most well know names in the business in every TYPE of aircraft I fly until it's so automatic I could do it in my sleep in every TYPE of aircraft including parasail’s. Bob Hover taught me to do a 1 G loop in any plane, put a glass of water on the dash and keep it there. Oh training helps a lot…
Every forced landing so far as only resulted in getting the tires dirty.

when tha **** hits the fan the stick gently comes forward for our
gentle flight down, is a sycamore seed a bad thing? :noidea:

No my friend but there are wires, wind direction, type of field, cows, and BULLS just to name a few things any instructor would put on your check list and teach you in just one hour of engine outs instruction. As well as give you some idea of what the same field would be like say as when muddy or different wind conditions. I cannot tell you how much this as helped when you actually experience the condition for the first time. It is so much better than trial and error where “I” as the instructor always get to say well that was the correct procedure as proof I am still alive. Still “I” really never know there even was a better way or check list.

This is a joke right? Is this Red Baron guy for real? He thinks because he has a few hundred hours in a fixed wing and "RC Gyro" experience it qualifies him to teach himself how to fly gyros?

Is he putting us on? Or he is this guy for real?

There are so many things that can go wrong I won't begin to list them. And what about legalities?

This is why many people think the gyro community is a joke.

Red- Best of luck to you, but man, you have to get rid of that snub-you-all attitude. I sure wouldn't want to be talked about behind my back like you are. If I come down with that know it all sickness you have when I start flying my Helicycle, god help me. I won't though cause I know I will be a newbie for a long time. I listen to and respect the other pilots on here that my skills only amount to being a pimple on their butt. So with that attitude, and me not coming on here boasting I know it all, will increase my odds. Go ahead and enjoy your B, we all wanting to see you get to be a high time gyro pilot. By then you will look back and see how cavalear and boastful your attitude is now. You have definately set the bar for being the most talked about 'know it all in the beginning' person I keep hearing being brought up in conversations all over. I would be so proud! Stan

This is a joke right? Is this Red Baron guy for real? He thinks because he has a few hundred hours in a fixed wing and "RC Gyro" experience it qualifies him to teach himself how to fly gyros?

Is he putting us on? Or he is this guy for real?

There are so many things that can go wrong I won't begin to list them. And what about legalities?

This is why many people think the gyro community is a joke.

This is no joke.

And the type of aircraft is meaningless, he built his little ultralight airplane and taught himself to fly it too.

You guys can suggest training to him till your blue in the face, he will not get it. Even if you offered to pay for it all and even arranged transportation for him I would bet he still won't get it. So might as well just drop the subject.

I really don't know Jeff well. But my gut tells me that even though he might seem like a careless daredevil..... In fact he is probably one of the most timid pilots out there.

He has already flown his gyro, based on what he has wrote here, so the chances of him ever going out of his way to get training is slim to none. And hey, he might be just fine, like Jake said.... alot of people have self trained over the years.

Problem is unlike airplanes, gyros have several ways in flight of becoming out of control.... And most of these will result with the machine destroyed and the pilot seriously injured or dead.

The difference between a gyro and a airplane, is in a airplane if you stall the wing, you can drop the nose and recover. If you stall a airplane and end up in a spin you can stop the spin and recover with nose down and opposite rudder. In a gyro if you were to do manuvers that slow the rotors down in flight, and result in inflight rotorflap, you are helpless to recover, you just have to hope you don't hit the ground too hard when you crash...... Or if you end up in a power pushover, well we all know what happens there, your dead, there is nothing gentle about those, no recovery.

A engine out in a gyro is not a big deal. engine out training is not what he should see a instructor for, he needs to see a instructor to understand the dangers he needs to avoid, and the ways to avoid them.

"...he needs to see a instructor to understand the dangers he needs to avoid, and the ways to avoid them."

Ron: That's an Excellent point. The powered paragliding people have a DVD called, Risk & Reward." It shows them all of the risks in paragliding and how to avoid them. They consider it mandatory watching. They even recommend that it be watched periodically as a reminder. I wonder if we have someone in the gyro community that has the video experience and flight expertise that could make the same type of video for us.

P.S. Sorry I missed you at BD. I was only able to be there Wednesday.

Last edited:
John,
You gave it your "ALL", and did your best!!! We all know that.... So, as the old saying goes.... You can lead a horse to water.... "But"

@Mike hey you try and help your friends be all they can be.

Sad I simply do not respect his choice of instructors, so one loses respect for all of his opinions based on his actions not his words.

I respect all those gyro pilots at BD’s I saw, many of my hero’s, getting an hour instruction with Steve. They have all been flying for years yet they realize Steve could make their skills even better. May not be macho but boy can they fly!!!

I hope he does not experience a situation he is not trained to handle automatically, I cannot help but like Jeff.

Also Jeff please just DO NOT TELL ANYONE you were foolish enought to self-trained. Your choices makes us all look like we are all amateurs and dangerous and is the main reason the FW community thinks we are a dangerous joke!

Last edited:
i myself left the ground in my gyro...did fine,read the forum once i had found it.went and got a 2 hour lesson from dave s..i was astounded by what i did not know.went home,flew the pattern the next day(still not a good thing).had an engine out in a bad place some months ago,no harm to me,dinged up the machine some.am getting more lessons before i continue.i originally trained in 172's....just my 2 cents...rob