Welding gas. and Acetylene shortages.

automan1223

Aircraft
2p Tandem Air Command "Big Red"
Total Flight Time
Ran out of Acetylene gas for my 2 stage welding rig.

Supplier says carbide gas plant blew up in Kentucky and they are only filling high consumption customers (at a 30% capacity). Gas now comes from china, in great demand. Liquid gold as he put it.

Says something about converting to propane but need to update all the tips on my torch head. Or I can buy a propane ready setup with everything for 3 to 4 big ones.

Curious if we have any welding gurus chime in on this subject.

J

Hi "J"...
I switched all my jewelry shop torches to propane years ago...glad I did it because its much cheaper and I can get it on any street corner.
It burns much cleaner, though not as hot.
Most of the Gold work I do never needs anything more than about 1400*
For extreme heat (Platinum work) I use Hydrogen/Oxy...it burns hot as hell.
For most welding/brazing you'll really like propane IMO.

M-M.

propane

propane

Welding supply says I need to change out the tips or my rig will blow up or the tips will melt, forget which he said.... What did you guys do Master Roda ??

Calcium Carbide is the main ingredient in the gas. I believe it is also used in batteries, the maintenance free kind....

J

We used propane in a production shop for years. The tips were two piece and were a lot easier to clean than acetylene tips. We are still getting acet. gas but it is higher. We heard the same thing about the plant in Kentucky. Apparently they did not have much competition here in the states. Unless you are trying to cut thick materials a lot of the time, propane is going to work just fine. Welding suppliers want to keep you on acet. simply because you have to get it from them. You can get propane just about anywhere.

I use Smith bodies...and was able to merely purchase different tips.
Suggestion, keep your old setup, purchase a new Propane setup so you'll have both (just for when Ya' need the big guns..!)
It'll be cheaper with all the tips, etc.
I bought a "Y" valve to run dual Oxy lines from my tank- one for each set.
Now I have 3 tanks in a row and can switch off lightening fast from either.

M-M.

Johnathan you will also need a adapter on you regulator as of now it wont plumb up..
I bought tips for the mine just in case.

Buy here an Acetylene Maker, and do your Acetylene using Calcium Carbide and Water...

copiade0000066.jpg

Buy here an Acetylene Maker, and do your Acetylene using Calcium Carbide and Water...

A modern acetylene generator very cool. I have seen the ones used in the 30's. Carbide changed after 911. Often used by geologist on drilling rigs to check gas detectors and calculate time depth to surface.

Ran out of Acetylene gas for my 2 stage welding rig.

Supplier says carbide gas plant blew up in Kentucky and they are only filling high consumption customers (at a 30% capacity). Gas now comes from china, in great demand. Liquid gold as he put it.

Says something about converting to propane but need to update all the tips on my torch head. Or I can buy a propane ready setup with everything for 3 to 4 big ones.

Curious if we have any welding gurus chime in on this subject.

J

Use petrol (gasoline) and oxygen to cut steel quickly, no un-oxidized metal within the cuts are clean and need little if any dressing, cutting depth for some model are 300mm and the ultimate in flame cutting, it can be used for welding metals to 5mm thick, heating all metals, silver soldering, brazing, lead welding and for nonferrous metal welding, the flame temperature is 3000-3300C, can melt most metals easily excluding tungsten. The units are made in China fully approved by USA safety departments and sold in North America between $1500-2000 whereas directly from China will set you back for the (GYJD) full set up $500, plus shipping.

Thanks
Albert

Last edited:
J.C.

Can you give us any info on that acetylene generator? Name brand?

Heat.

Heat.

Use a TIG. Don't need a torch.:tape:

Tig is not going to heat up a 2.5" exhaust pipe for bending.

Lots of good info here. Acetylene is sooty stuff, never really liked the gas but it worked. I was aware about using other fuel gasses, like Mapp gas, propane, & hydrogen but the industry grew up around what we have so it is causing some consternation on my part now that they have moved my cheese, or have appeared to...

Just do not like the thought about having to buy more equipment to reinvent the wheel, when I already have good equipment to start with.

I own a nice Smith rig myself with all the tips. As a general repair shop I use it for just about everything, heating, welding, cutting. etc.

J

J.C.

Can you give us any info on that acetylene generator? Name brand?

That device is called "Gasogeno" here. I just chosed that for the picture, but there are a lots of makers of "Gasogenos" or Acetylene Generators...and they comes in many sizes.
Acetylene bottles are also used, but small shops choose to make they our own Acetylene in general.

http://callone.fgkpsoft.com.ar/castellano/ventgasogeno.html

http://carburox.blogspot.com/p/equipos-de-autogena.html

http://www.guiaindustria.com.ar/microsites/default.aspx?modulo=3&cat=11260

Well, again I learn something new here! Thanks

Well, again I learn something new here! Thanks

Use petrol (gasoline) and oxygen to cut steel quickly, no un-oxidized metal within the cuts are clean and need little if any dressing, cutting depth for some model are 300mm and the ultimate in flame cutting, it can be used for welding metals to 5mm thick, heating all metals, silver soldering, brazing, lead welding and for nonferrous metal welding, the flame temperature is 3000-3300C, can melt most metals easily excluding tungsten. The units are made in China fully approved by USA safety departments and sold in North America between $1500-2000 whereas directly from China will set you back for the (GYJD) full set up $500, plus shipping.

Thanks
Albert

Amazing stuff - I had no idea this was routinely done. I read up a bit - for thick cutting (100 mm - 4 inch) cost is reduced to 1/3, with faster cleaner cutting. Thanks for the info!

Can't find a supplier in the US for the acetylene generators. Have you guys seen any?