Satisfying my lust for flight!

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2600+ in rotorcraft
Yesterday had wet my appetite for flying.

I felt boxed in by the clouds and the box kept moving.

The weather today was similar to Tuesday but the fog cleared up sooner, unfortunately work didn’t.

After much angst I left for the airport at 2:30 with the top down and Hank Williams turned up loud working his way though amazing grace. I feel the spiritual aspect of aviation is not lost on me. I am always struck by the beauty and order as it is revealed from above. I once was lost until I learned to read a chart but now I’m found. I once was blind but now I see as I rise above the obstacles.

I finally reached the airport at 3:00 and Ed was still struggling with the Department of Motor vehicles so she told me to go ahead without her.

The air had that feel of rain in it and a little bit of a bite to it. The mist was all around and added an air of mystery to the hills.

Lockheed Martin had some low ceilings and mountain obscuration but the satellite picture showed it north and west of my route. There was no sign of precipitation before 24:00 Zulu.

The preflight went well and we were soon out the door.

The little wind gusts made the Predator look like she was wagging her tail and ready to fly.

“Clear Prop” came at 3:35 and she fired right up with the sound of power.

The new muffler has more base and less treble. I suspect the sound was coming right through the .030 walls of the other muffler and the .060 walls of the new muffler manage the high notes a little better.

We taxied to Alpha 10 and called ground with information Kilo.

“Experimental 142 Mike Golf, runway 30, taxi via Alpha.”

She was a little slow warming and the magneto check had to wait till the oil temperature was in the green.

“Experimental 142Mike Golf, straight out approved 30 clear for takeoff.”

The wind was 7kts straight down the runway and the blades came up quickly.

She lifted off in a serene casual sort of way and at 300 feet AGL I pulled the power back and lowered the nose for a steady 75kt climb.

I headed toward the water tower and the hills seemed to retreat in the mist.

I called San Louis Obispo tower from 13 miles to the south east at 1,500 feet with Juliet for an approach through the Avila pass. I was to ident and radar contact was established. I was to report established on the forty five for a left downwind for runway 29.

The wind was steady, the air was smooth and it felt cool and wet against my face as we turned west toward the shoreline at Pismo Beach.

The view of the shoreline never loses its impact on me and I snapped some pictures of the view ahead. The hills seemed to be floating on the mist.

We turned up the beach at 500 feet and the white water was all the way to the end of the Pismo pier.

The mist seemed to thin out as we got closer to Avila Bay but it still hid the white water so the hills left the impression of hovering over the water.

Highway 101 turns inland and winds gracefully around the hills on its way into San Luis Obispo.

I called ATC as we rounded the corner and entered the 45. “Experimental Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf, I don’t have a visual on you, call left downwind abeam the tower.” When I did he told me to continue downwind and he would call my base. “Experimental Gyroplane turn base when you have the departing King Air in sight and expect landing clearance.”

I reported the King Air in sight and runway 29 was clear to land with a Brasilia on a four mile straight in so no delay. I was to turn off at Foxtrot and taxi to parking on this frequency, no delay.

I flew down the runway at 85kts and set her down at the entrance to Foxtrot as nice as could be. As I taxied to parking ATC said, “Thank you for your help Vance! I haven’t seen you in a while.” I felt like I had walked into Cheers.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 0
The old pilot.

The old pilot.

As I sat down to a nice supper an older pilot asked what happens in “that thing” when it rains.

“I get wet” was my slow reply.

“Well you are going to get wet because a storm is coming fast out of the North West."

Lockheed Martin hadn’t said anything about it and I had specifically asked about precipitation on my return when I was receiving my standard VFR briefing.

This pilot had the look of someone who knows so I hurried the consumption of my supper a little so I might get less wet.

I called ground with Kilo from restaurant parking for a taxi to 29 and I was to hold at the base of the tower for opposite direction traffic on Alpha. After the regional jet had lumbered by I was cleared to taxi to runway 29 via Alpha.

She hadn’t fully cooled form the flight in so the magneto check was quick.

“Experimental Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf, ready for departure, request left cross wind departure to the south along the 101.”

The old pilot was right.

“Experimental Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf, left turn out approved, runway 29 clear for takeoff, I think you are going to get wet Vance, early left turn approved.”

We were off quickly and climbing at 1,000 feet per minute. I did turn left early but I still didn’t quite see the rain until I saw the rain. The first two pictures are taken about 15 seconds apart and they give a sense of how quickly the rain overtook us.

I ran her up to 90KTS indicated airspeed, 101 kts of ground speed and outran the storm in about 7 miles.

I felt a little smug as I flew over a 5 mile traffic jam on highway 101.

I kept the speed up all the way to Santa Maria and the Santa Maria ATC asked me to verify my altitude. I had TBM 3 miles behind at 1,300 feet that did not have me in sight.

I descended to 800 feet and the tower reported my altitude to the TBM and he still didn’t have the “Gyrocopter” in sight. The pilot sounded a little worried.

I reported abeam the tower and ATC said to keep it in tight and make a short approach. I felt it was a chance to show off so I left most of the power in and made a sweeping descending right turn right to the taxiway and was quickly off the runway.

“That was cool Vance, Experimental 142 Mike Golf, taxi to parking and monitor ground.”

We were safely in the hanger just as the rain started coming down.

Hank sounded good on the way home.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 0
  • 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 064.jpg
    064.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0
I really enjoy your adventures, and I have to admit I almost always feel a little smug looking at the vehicle traffic below.

Thank you Vance!

Vance,
We are enjoying more than you every adventure and photos you post.

Hey, that was fun again. Isn't it great to fly over traffic jams? We may not be the fastest things in the air, but we easily compete with a traffic jam :D

Kai.

It always feels good when you can best one on Mother Nature.
Thanks for another great ride along. I sometimes imagine flying with you side by side in my Dominator over the beaches....one of my dreams I'd like to fulfil some day.
Although I can't complain about the beauty we have here (flying over the openness is great and seeing the heards of pronghorn antelope from above all turn their heads in unison as I fly by) I still yearn for the change of scenery and the oder of fresh salt air.

The joys of flying with friends!

The joys of flying with friends!

I love it that John in California, Giorgos in Cyprus, Kai near Frankfort and Mark in Denver can all enjoy a simple flight with simple pleasures in California. I feel there are many more in diverse places that imagined they were flying along the coast and have flown along before.

It enhances every part of the flight for me when I have to examine the feelings so I can describe them in a post. There is always so much joy that is implicit that the reader knows from their own flying experience. I am only able to touch on the edges.

The love of flight seems to speak a common language and pilots seem to find similar joys.

I find such pleasure even in a flight I have taken so many times before. The vistas seem ever shifting and the experience always gratifying in what seems to be a unique way on each flight.

It feels good to be back in the air.

In truth my lust was only temporarily satisfied.

As you can see in the pictures the fog is surrounding the house. If you look closely at the last one you can see an emerging band of blue. I am impassioned with the expectation of the transitory fulfillment of my lust for flight.

Thank you all for flying along and the kind words of recognition of a common lust.

I may be headed up to Hollister today for a meeting with the composite expert. Lockheed Martin has suggested that I take the car. I am waiting on a call from Vince.

I feel that my flights will be enhanced in an aircraft that is the embodiment of the fantasies that grow out of these simple flights. She will be a monument to the power and magic of friends.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 0
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 0
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 0
Vance- I share that same lust, except its a lust for hovering. I am going to satisfy that lust today and will post some still pictures of it. Videos are just too time consuming. I usually have to wait till the next day to get them uploaded.

Keep your adventures coming Vance. You do the best narration of anyone.

Stan

The first step.

The first step.

Thank you for the kind words Stan.

The first step is to admit you are powerless over hoovering.

I am done with work and hope to take Ed flying this afternoon.

There is a 33% chance of rain.

I have some repairs to do on the Predator and I don’t have the hardware so I am going to have to impose on my friends.

I love the way people want to help.

Good luck with your hovering,

Vance

Last edited:
Very Nice Vance, I had a nice enjoyable flight yesterday evening myself. I am beginning to trust the Arctic Cat engine a little more each time I fly, I wrung it out pretty good at Bensen Days. (lots of nice flat ground to land on) After several engine outs it is taking some time to build my confidence back up. The new project is not really active right now, but I have been in contact with Canadian Air Motive, and I feel confident that the Honda engine will work well for the two place. Thanks for posting you adventures. I am sorry That I did not get to talk to you at Bensen days this year.

Insidious demons!

Insidious demons!

Thank you Scott,

I have been having a lot of fun sharing my flying fun.

I ran out of time at Bensen Days and only got to see about half the people I intended to. You and your wife are two I missed.

Your aircraft seemed to fly well and the engine sounded happy.

I know what you mean about confidence. If I have an unresolved mechanical challenge it limits my desire to get too far afield. The feeling is not on the surface, it seems to be insidious. Positive experience is the only thing that brings me back.

Thank you, Vance

Managing Challenges

Managing Challenges

Managing Challenges...

Vance you always seem to have a way of doing that...I love how you pick it apart and truly examine the problem.

Your amazing successes are more often than not! I strive for those things too! You Lead by your Awesome Example! And well for me Ah...one day at a time!

I love your pictures of the windshield with the droplets of rain! Glad I wasn't in it...I definitely would have been a Purple Predator Popsicle!

Here's a couple pics of your take-off yesterday!

Love, Ed

Well...Shucks for some reason my pix didn't download! Hopefully this will work this time!
Cheers All! Ed

Attachments

• take-off 002.jpg
    take-off 002.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 0
  • take-off 005.jpg
    take-off 005.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 0
  • take-off 009.JPG
    take-off 009.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
Guess Who Flew Saturday!!

Guess Who Flew Saturday!!

Yup... you guessed it me! Here's a couple of pix from the day...I took two of my anxiety tabs before we flew.

I tried to examine what was bugging me and if I could make it happen...it didn't it just wasn't there! I hope to keep having that experience...i think of all the little adventures I've been missing out on.

Hopefully I will be able to get my freedom back! As I was up there I think the biggest thing that came to mind was too much wind in my face, other than that...I think I was really feeling Good about flying! Even though we had an airplane coming straiight for us!
Cheers! Ed

Attachments

• IMG_2846.jpg
    IMG_2846.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2867.jpg
    IMG_2867.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2866.jpg
    IMG_2866.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2870.jpg
    IMG_2870.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2886.jpg
    IMG_2886.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2908.jpg
    IMG_2908.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2890.jpg
    IMG_2890.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2900.jpg
    IMG_2900.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 0
Yahoo!

Yahoo!

Ed did well under difficult circumstances. The sky was filled with people who could not find the pattern, at the wrong altitude and not able to use their radio well. The Cessna that almost hit us head on was completely confused. Fortunately we both turned right, I announced it, and he did not. We were well above pattern altitude and quite a way out to sea.

We didn’t have anything to do with the KR2 on its nose. That happened before we took off. No one was hurt.

In order to stay out of the way I had to fly fast and that is hard on Ed with no windshield. I did a go-around because there was someone too close behind on short final.

Ed seemed calm through all the chaos.

We are going to build up to longer flight slowly.

Thank you, Vance

Hey Ed, good to see you back in the air!

Kai.
Thanks Kai!

I was anxious at first there were so many of Vance Groupies that I was getting frustrated because I just wanted to get up there and fly before I chickened out...but all these people with Stars in their eyes fixated on Vance gave me no choice but to stand there and analyze my feeling and just chill out.

Then I realized this is all part and parcel of flying and figuring out just what's going on with myself and my feelings...so it was all good!

I notice when there are other distractions I am less focused on the panicking and just getting ready to flying which is what I should be doing in the first place!

To be truthful I think the Valium helped out considerably I do have a tendency to be a bit hyper-active always have been so I think they brought me down a notch to where I could hadle the tenseness!
Cheers! Ed

Sometimes it is helpful to break that vicious circle of being afraid of the fear, even when it comes form the pharmacy. You will be alright without it, soon, I bet.

Kai.

Sometimes it is helpful to break that vicious circle of being afraid of the fear, even when it comes form the pharmacy. You will be alright without it, soon, I bet.

Kai.

Absolutely true. I could not quite grasp the idea of pharmacological solutions to problems until I recently read book titled "The Brain That Changes Itself" (by Doidge) (my aim - reprogram my teenagers!). It is a fascinating read.

The brain is forever "re circuiting" itself. Perhaps the major message from the book: neurones that fire together, wire together. So if you are continually doing something that makes you anxious, that response can become more and more automatic. Anti-anxiety medications can break that circuit and head the "wiring" in a more desirable direction.