Does gyro need anti-crash airbag?

autogyro

I watch some gyro crash vedio,and I wonder if we should install some anti-crash airbag out of the gyro, when gyro crash, those air bags will blast then to buffer attacks.
does this idea works?
please give me comments.

Regards
Edward

Hi Edward

I think on a pusher you would need two bags. one for frontal impact and the second for protection from the engine behind you. also hard landing could get interesting.

Tony

Where would you put it? When your tumbling down through the air I don't think the gyro is thinking to hit on the side with the air bag.

I watch some gyro crash vedio,and I wonder if we should install some anti-crash airbag out of the gyro, when gyro crash, those air bags will blast then to buffer attacks.
does this idea works?
please give me comments.

Regards
Edward

The idea will work very well Edward. An airbag in front , one on the left and one on the right would save some scratches , some bruises , and some lives.

And for a failing aircraft at a higher altitude a parachute would help a lot as well , the airbags would cushion the ground impact.

Design me an aircraft under $40,000 , in the homebuilt category , with a parachute and airbags , under 1200 pounds in weight , and I will buy one.

So will the whole world. You could become very rich.

I have replaced a lot of airbags (in cars) and it can be expensive. Part of the integrity requires replacing the background ( windshield , dash etc.) . Airbags work pretty good if there is something sturdy between you , the bag, and the ground.

A very safe crashable gyro would require a sturdy front cage , a sturdy side cage , and airbags between the pilot and the cage. An explosive charge that is activated a split second after impact is required to inflate the bag.

The mechanism to trigger the explosive charge must be precise so that if you taxi over a bump or bang into your hangar your gyro does not explode with internal airbags. They can break arms and destroy faces . But you are alive.

The ultimate safest flying machine that would never harm the occupants does not exist. If it did , it would be an armchair in front of a TV screen watching aviation movies

The next best thing is a flying machine that is designed safe , with a reasonably trained operator , that will not easily crash.

For that , airbags and parachutes are not required.

Do the R&D (research and development) , and pencil out the cost , and you will arrive at the same conclusion. Your money is best spent designing something that stays in the air.

Hope that helps Edward. Thanks for the question and your consideration for safety.

Arnie

Hi Edward,

I see what you are thinking, but gyro's are popular because they can be built relatively cheaply and can be operated with minimum rstrictions if the weight is kept down. Adding air bags, parachutes etc increases costs and the weight of the machine which again increases the operating costs.

I think what it comes down to, is where you spend your money.

A quick look at the NTSB reports for aviation accidents in general shows that approx 75% of accidents are atributed to pilot error. Due to the lower requirements and restrictions to fly a gyro then I suspect that figure is going to be over 80% for gyro accidents.

With 75/80% of accidents being caused by pilot error I think that the money spent on research and development would be far better spent working out a way to better educate pilots and ensure we instill the importance of training, currency and aeronautical decision making.

The idea will work very well Edward. An airbag in front , one on the left and one on the right would save some scratches , some bruises , and some lives.
Hope that helps Edward. Thanks for the question and your consideration for safety.
Arnie
Thank you Arnie for your detail description. For safe reasons, I will do some deep research on airbag and parachte both on technologies and cost
Best Wishes
Edward

Hi Edward,
I see what you are thinking, but gyro's are popular because they can be built relatively cheaply and can be operated with minimum rstrictions .....
if the weight is better spent working out a way to better educate pilots and ensure we instill the importance of training, currency and aeronautical decision making.

Dear Karl
Thank you kindly response, What you said is very reasonable, but I would like try to find out an economical methods to save their lives when the pilots made a wrong operation. For too many reasons will cause the pilot made wrong operation, that can not be completely avoided.
Regards
Edward

A very safe crashable gyro would require a sturdy front cage , a sturdy side cage , and airbags between the pilot and the cage. An explosive charge that is activated a split second after impact is required to inflate the bag.
Arnie

I think the airbag should be install out the cage to save the gyro , so that to save the pilot and passengers. if the airbag is in cage, it would only reduce the compact of beteew human and cage.
Is it right?
Regards
Edward

The ultimate safest flying machine that would never harm the occupants does not exist. If it did , it would be an armchair in front of a TV screen watching aviation movies
Then you'd die of a heart attack from being sedentary, If you design a safe gyro with proper training, there would be no need for air bags.
But on the bright side if we had airplanes as safe as cars, we could eat cheese burgers, talk on the cell phone, and not really have any training and still blast around the sky willy-nilly crashing into each other and then suing the manufacturer, just like todays drivers... :)

Having experimented with crashes early in my career the place you will need protection is the inside of your thighs as the stick thrashes wildly back and forth.

Something similar to the modern life saver for helicopters could help, protecting chest neck and face from injuries.
Maybe low down the tighs also.
Heron

If most crashes are pilot error ... and the Gyro "tumbles" out of the sky as many of you say ... how would you be able to attach a parachute that would not get tangled up in the rotors, prop or chassis if the Gyro got out of control ?

If most crashes are pilot error ... and the Gyro "tumbles" out of the sky as many of you say ... how would you be able to attach a parachute that would not get tangled up in the rotors, prop or chassis if the Gyro got out of control ?

I doubt that most crashes are a gyro tumbling out of the sky, with most of us believing in clt and horizontal stabiliziers, pio and bunt over make up a fairly small part of what takes gyros out. If i had to guess its being behind the power curve, improper ground handling and poorly executed landings that make up the bulk of the crashes.

There doesn't seem to be a practical way of using a chute to save a gyro from falling out of the sky if that's what it has a mind to do.

Oh PS Welcome to the forum Buccaneer.

BRS has an assisted eject chute system, I saw it on a Tryke, mounted below and aft of the prop, you may land upside down but it's better than the plummet to the terrafirma. :O