Ron Awad and All-in

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Ron Awad was doing his usual amazing to watch flight demos...and John...aka All-in got a ride of his life. John is one wired person with his enthusiasm. I think my last few pictures capture this well.

Stan

Attachments

• aaaamentone 036.jpg
    aaaamentone 036.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
  • aaaamentone 048.jpg
    aaaamentone 048.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
  • aaaamentone 049.jpg
    aaaamentone 049.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
  • aaaamentone 050.jpg
    aaaamentone 050.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
WHEN I GROW UP; I want to be RON!!!!

Best time I had in my life in at least 10 years and that was an escape from a hurricane and near death experience to equal the rush!!

This was no fear just all pure joy!! Ron is a master. Hard to write about it, but I can't shut up telling all my friends and family over and over about the experience.
These rotor craft are unreal what you can do with them.

Thank you Ron so much for inviting me I will remember this all my life. I will share more as soon as I can find the words.

Someone said they had a video of our hover, vertical decent, and rock-in-roll final to perfect flare and spot landing I hope they post it or give me a copy?

The entire story to follow here soon!!!

PS:
You have a life long friend, anything I can ever do for you let me know!!! I mean that!! I really feel very privileged to have flow with such an excellent pilot! Please get your CFI, we need you.

Last edited:
WHEN I GROW UP; I want to be RON!!!!

I'm sorry John...but it's not possible to do both! :)

Glad you had a good time!

I see your point Paul, very funny while being astute as usual.

But look's like I'm never going to grow up either = 5'4'' an actually complete control flying at the edge of the envelope never bothers me.

Only the first time Ron headed for the trees at such a low altitude that I even was a little anxious to discover how he was going to get us out of this one.

But he just turned it 90 degrees hard right and she didn't sink into the tree's at all like a FW would have done an accelerated stall an splat!

It turned like it was on rails, no sink at all, very impressive to a FW guy!!

Anytime Ron will take me along I'm jumping at the chance, too much fun to be real. I haven't even mentioned that I got to fly an RAF yet and as a pilot I expected that experience to be the highlight! Not even close, it was too easy to fly, I've got a lot I wish to learn form an instructor mainly rotor management on the ground etc, but they are very easy to fly and forgiving as I was all over the place with my power management to the point of being embarrassed but Jim said it wasn't bad. Think he was just being very kind.

Ok there is just no way to do this justice. I have tried and tried.
The best way I can sum up flying with Ron is if you take auto racing, motorcycle racing, off road racing, seadoo's, flying anything and ADD THE EXPERIENCES ALL TOGETHER that would come close.

He starts out normal enough if you always use a short field take-off that is. Then it's was up over the trees and down in the farmer field where we slalomed through a course of hay roles wrapped in plastic. I don’t know how tall they were but we were going through the middle of center of their height so we were as low as I’ve ever flow anything without landing. This was just the appetizer, next we when through a course of a dry stream with small trees on each side and followed it then up in the air and over a stand of trees where we could not just see the deer but Ron could have gone down and I jump on him like the helio shark fisherman we saw. Only we were having way to much fun for suck a distraction, but he could have.
Then he heads straight for a very tall row of trees way way to low to ever go over them without bleeding off all of our air speed!!!
Now I’m thinking at 150 he’s going to turn, then 100 feet, then 50 feet I’m thinking OK how is he going to get us out of this one. I’m not really worried I know Ron not going kill himself but I was a might concerned as to his plan if any at the time.

Next thing I know we in a 90 degree bank right hand turn and now my experience with FW really has me expecting an accelerated stall and mush right into the trees and I’m waiting the impact. Hey guys these rotors don’t have the surface area to stall like FW and you guys told me this and I thought I understood it but, clearly I did not!!!

It’s flew like it was on rails and the rush from learning the control possible with these thing was too intense for me not to yell out with pure joy say Ron do that again! I lost my voice on Sunday as proof and still sound froggy today.
We did that a few times and each time I thought he can’t top this he would prove me wrong.

We fly around for a while checking out the critters in the bush and then headed back for the field, I was so sad it was almost over when; Ron pulls her up into a slight climb and we start to hover, I said Ron were hovering, he says no John look down.

We are ever so slowly descending vertically and just as I’m again thinking it’s can’t get any better than this he pushed the nose down and kicks right rudder and let the spins begins, again these spins are way more intense than in a FW and way more fun if you can believe that FW’er and we go zooming down to the ground in only two turns. Now I’m so impressed I can’t contain myself I’m about to burst with pure joy.

Oh I left us spinning towards earth to our death didn't I?

Well Ron can pull it out any time he wants as easily as we can recover from cross controlling a full slip and did. Not sure as the height as I stopped evaluating and just enjoyed the experience but he leveled her off and picked the end of the runway as his spot and flared to land even with the edge on the grass and just set her down with a dead stop landing and them we just taxied back like this is NORMAL!

I can’t do the experience Ron shared with me justice but I will forever be grateful as once someone shows me the limits I will practice at very high altitude until I can master it too (after training and normal flying compared to Ron that is.) But that is my new goal maybe not by next year but the year after that we will see. I can’t wait just to fly again.

PS:
We took the Navajo up today and shot approaches, but it just not the same thing is it!

Last edited:
Heh heh, sounds like you got a terminal infection from Ronny. :)

Die hard FWers are the easiest to impress with gyros, coz they never think you could have that much control of an aircraft.
If a FWer wants a demo, ill fly into the roughest air around, and hold it inches off the ground, then land in the center of a wirlywind, just for good measure. ;)

Onya Ron, sounds like you know how to impress mate. :)

Heh heh, sounds like you got a terminal infection from Ronny. :)

Die hard FWers are the easiest to impress with gyros, coz they never think you could have that much control of an aircraft.
If a FWer wants a demo, ill fly into the roughest air around, and hold it inches off the ground, then land in the center of a wirlywind, just for good measure. ;)

Onya Ron, sounds like you know how to impress mate. :)

All in is not a big heavy guy, so I figured we could go up and have some fun! Most passengers I ad to my machine take all the " play power " away from me since I only have about 75 HP. I wanted to scare the $hit outta him!.... But he was loving every minute of it. BTW, the slip to the ground he described towards the end of his story was not a slip at all, it was the famous " Death Spiral " which is basically you let the nose down to almost pointed straight at the ground and you hold hard left or right stick and add in rudder input in the same direction, it is almost like a aileron roll in a airplane except your pointed straight at the ground, this gets you down fast and keeps the blades well loaded up too.

@Birdy
Your experience is showing and I would love to experience your demo flight with you!!!!

@Ron
Thanks you!!!
Actually I knew it was a death spiral because I have head other describe your landing before Ron, I actually tried to write this to try and give FWer some kind of perspective they could understand in an effort to try and win them over to the dark fun side.

Thank you again Ron your are the Best!!!!!

Hi Ron,

I learnt that figure as an escape way, if a fixed winger doesn't see you and aims at you. The problem is always, if people suddenly see the obstacle almost too late they will do all sorts of unpredictable things, even if the rules are clear. We all had this experience, bumping into someone, because both do the same evasive movement.

Well the death spiral goes down so suddenly, that the fixed-winger has a hard time hitting you, even if he tried.

Kai.

Kai good point Kai! Once I learn these I'll be harder to hit tham Stan was at the egg drop even with cheating!!!

Last edited:
I Just want to say,I did not ride with Ron this Time, Not that he did not offer, but becouse Ron was busy taking up people for rides for free during the whole event and I knew I can go for a ride another time,besides I had already ridden with Tim Oconnor in the twin star ( Thanks Tim that was fun ) and had gotten a ride in an Enstrom ( my helicopter of broken dreams) . On the way home I had to drive becouse Ron was feeling so bad.

He said he started feeling bad on saturday but did not want to disappoint anyone that wanted a ride. so he kept flying and takeing people for rides.
All at no cost to them. he was in the air almost all the time with someone new.

I don't even want to think how much money it cost him in fuel.

Hope you are feeling Better Ron.

you did a good job showing the public just what a Gyroplane can do.

Ron was doing short take offs and spot landing on just about every flight and more then 1 death spiral, ole Matt that now owns Ron's old single place was doing a great job of showing his own piloting skills doing death spirals and low high g turns and what I called a steppped landing where on approach he would flare high, ( like at about 100') let it hang an second or 2 and drop the nose it would reallly load the rotors and sounded great and he would just set it down where he wanted.

I really had a fun time just watching these guys fly. at no time did any one say it looked unsafe as they really had the machines mastered.

... ole Matt that now owns Ron's old single place was doing a great job of showing his own piloting skills doing death spirals and low high g turns and what I called a steppped landing where on approach he would flare high, ( like at about 100') let it hang an second or 2 and drop the nose it would reallly load the rotors and sounded great and he would just set it down where he wanted.

I really had a fun time just watching these guys fly. at no time did any one say it looked unsafe as they really had the machines mastered.
I saw Matt doing that it does look and sound way cool, doesn't it Tim!!

@Ron
I was just re-reading your posts to learn as much as I could from them and noticed you said you were trying to scare the SH*T out of me! I really had no clue? It's just seem like incredible fun to me. All the senses rushing information to me. I just was thinking this is even better than aerobatics as your on the ground the way you fly!!! Your so in control, it never occurred to be to be scared.
I was a might perplexed as to how that first time you were going to not slam us into the tree's but never lost faith for even a moment as I could tell you knew your machine and how to fly her by the way you flew through the first hay rolls. It's the best 'E' ticket ride I've ever had and I've gotten rides from the likes of Bob Hover, no less!

Last edited:
:der: It's E Ticket John E Ticket!:D

Last edited:
:der: It's E Ticket John E Ticket! :der:
I knew that!! Thanks Greg for correcting my failing memory, I'll correct it at once!!!!

PS:
Those who don't have a clue what Greg and I are talking about a picture is worth 1000 words!
I never had any 'E' Tickets left sorry. 'E' tickets were the best rides they got lame in a hurry after that!

Attachments

• DLand.jpg
    DLand.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DLand1.jpg
    DLand1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That's better :first:

John,

you seem to dye your hair differently now than on your avatar:boink:

No offence :wave: :party:

Kai.

@Kai
Yaw MON!

Your the 2nd one to notice.
I haven't died my hair in months.
Wish it was the ladies that had noticed? :wave:

PS:
Next time I'll look 20 years younger, but it's for the ladies and not you guys?

John, I was just messing with you, I wasn't really trying to scare the poop outta you, but I did want to give you a good ride.

Greg can tell you about flying alongside the trees, we do it all week in Florida when were at Bensen Days.

Somewhere I still have the same type of tickets for Disney that were saved from a time I went to Disney World when I was like 7 or 8 years old. I still love Disney, planning to taking my family there right after Christmas this year.

John, I was just messing with you, I wasn't really trying to scare the poop outta you, but I did want to give you a good ride.

Greg can tell you about flying alongside the trees, we do it all week in Florida when were at Bensen Days.

Somewhere I still have the same type of tickets for Disney that were saved from a time I went to Disney World when I was like 7 or 8 years old. I still love Disney, planning to taking my family there right after Christmas this year.
I knew we were alike they call me Disneyland Grandpa ( I cheat and get the kids and Grand kids year round passes so it's free even parking and 1.5 hours to get there) anyway my kids for a Christmas gift actually had a tile embedded in the outside floor entrance in front of the Disneyland ticket windows. The Tile number is C15 #153. It was the best gift I think I ever got and there must have been dust in the air as I my eyes started watering.

Ron I still cannot thank you enough for showing me what these can do!!!
I feel so honored to be your friend.
I flew with Ron you know!!!!

Last edited: