A typical Flight "Just for Fun" in SW Ohio...

rsbiser

Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
Hi Guys,
Here's my first attempt at editing a bunch of shots into a reasonable video. It is a start to finish "fun fly" at my home air strip. It involves six different camera angles all cut together with a little backgraound music. It's about 8 minutes long and not the highest quality, but I had fun doing it. If there is any interest, I'll post some pictures of the equipment and other details later. I just wanted to get this out there now.

Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks,

Scott

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WExI3lkesQ8

Hello Scott,

I really enjoyed that, thank you for taking us along.

I feel that the editing and presentation are very artistic.

Nice job on capturing the jubilation of flight!

Thank you, Vance

That is GREAT!

The camera angle switching was great.

My favorite part was the "white Lightning" prop silver glare with the shadow pass!

Ditto on all that! I really enjoyed it!

Thanks guys. I think that was one of my favorites too. The other thing I liked is the very end. The music stops at the end of "White Lightning" with a kind of thunder sound just as the engine noise comes up for the landing.

And by the way, any music "Sync" to the video is purely coincidental! But seemed to work out pretty well.

Brilliant! makes me want to go flyin now!, What RPM are you getting with the prerotator? looks like above 200, what engine rpm do you go to before disengaging the prerotator?
Paddy

Brilliant! makes me want to go flyin now!, What RPM are you getting with the prerotator? looks like above 200, what engine rpm do you go to before disengaging the prerotator?
Paddy

Paddy,
Good eye! You were really paying attention. I was hoping someone would notice that!

I think I maxed out at 224 on the pre-rotator that time. And I usually get to somewhere between 3500 and 4000 engine RPM. At that, things seem to be maxed out, like brakes and rotor speed. I don't do that often. Usually only spin em to about 190, but I had just done some tweaking to the pre-rotator set-up and I wanted to see what it would do. I must confess that I had a pretty steady 10 to 15 coming right down the runway too. So I may not be able to get all that rotor RPM on a regular basis.

Thanks Scott.
I seem to only get around 170 at 4000 rpm with no wind, don't know why. I've only seen 200 rpm once (with around 15kts headwind). Im wondering on a nil wind day what engine rpm will give 200 rrpm? I tend to get around 165 rrpm then disengage and nurse the rrpm up to 200 then go for it.
I've the 582 ready to fit, I just don't want any downtime, too much fun flyin.
Great Video!
Paddy

Thanks Scott.
I seem to only get around 170 at 4000 rpm with no wind, don't know why. I've only seen 200 rpm once (with around 15kts headwind). Im wondering on a nil wind day what engine rpm will give 200 rrpm? I tend to get around 165 rrpm then disengage and nurse the rrpm up to 200 then go for it.
I've the 582 ready to fit, I just don't want any downtime, too much fun flyin.
Great Video!
Paddy

Paddy,
Here is a picture of a mod I made to my Pre-Rotator Bracket just because I was getting the same performance you are describing. This new mounting bracket allow me to put a lot more force on the wheel and get higher RRPM.

2668442061_c328d59fd6_b.jpg

Yep Scott, I'm havin that problem. Ive had the hole in the mounting bracket go oval on me.
Ive bushed the mounting bracket with a stainless bush which helped but it has started to rock a bit again. I think I'll copy your design if you don't mind!
Ill go down to the hangar and measure tomorrow and get the boys in the machine shop to work on it
Thanks
Paddy

Hey, nice flight indeed. And you showed them headbangin' boys the way home :D.

No offence, just kidding.

Kai.

Yep Scott, I'm havin that problem. Ive had the hole in the mounting bracket go oval on me.
Ive bushed the mounting bracket with a stainless bush which helped but it has started to rock a bit again. I think I'll copy your design if you don't mind!
Ill go down to the hangar and measure tomorrow and get the boys in the machine shop to work on it
Thanks
Paddy

Don't mind at all. I kind of wish that Ernie would make this kind of bracket standard equipment.

Are you listening Ernie?

Them blades sure are shiney! :) Hope to see you at Mentone

I'll be there!

Kinda disappointed that you won't be bringing Gyronimo. I was looking forward to seeing my old engine and maybe talking you into a ride.

I want you to fly my new machine to see if I have everything tweaked properly. I'm pretty happy with it now but it just doesn't seem to have the oomph that your old 582 Dom had. I'm thinking that the difference was in the blades. Mine are 23' DW's and I think yours were 25' SC's? And maybe the IVO vs (I think yours had a) Warp Drive?

Anyway, no matter what, I'm looking forward to hanging out at Mentone!

Hey, nice flight indeed. And you showed them headbangin' boys the way home :D.

No offence, just kidding.

Kai.

Yeah, I guess my choice in music might say something about my age ...

or maybe just my limited music library.

I'll be there!

Kinda disappointed that you won't be bringing Gyronimo. I was looking forward to seeing my old engine and maybe talking you into a ride.

I want you to fly my new machine to see if I have everything tweaked properly. I'm pretty happy with it now but it just doesn't seem to have the oomph that your old 582 Dom had. I'm thinking that the difference was in the blades. Mine are 23' DW's and I think yours were 25' SC's? And maybe the IVO vs (I think yours had a) Warp Drive?

Anyway, no matter what, I'm looking forward to hanging out at Mentone!

I was tempted to hold onto GyRonimo long enough to bring it to Mentone, but the idea of having to deal with handstarting the blades at a busy fly-in had me thinking it would have been a pain in the butt, so I went ahead and listed it. The new owner says he is coming to Mentone, but he wants to fly his airplane there

My gyro had 23 foot DW's and for a while I ran 25 foot Sportcopters ( a early set, not the same airfoil or twist as the newer ones ) Performance was about equal between the two sets. What is your engine rpm as you climb at full throttle and say 45-50 mph airspeed?

I wanted to see Gyronimo too! I cried a little when I heard that it was sold. Someone beat me to it...

My gyro had 23 foot DW's and for a while I ran 25 foot Sportcopters ( a early set, not the same airfoil or twist as the newer ones ) Performance was about equal between the two sets. What is your engine rpm as you climb at full throttle and say 45-50 mph airspeed?

Ron,
Full throttle gets me about 6500 to 6700. I'm actually pretty happy with the performance, but it just doesn't seem as hot as your's was. That could be simply because I only flew it that one time and and it just really rocked my world and over the past two years I built it up in my mind maybe "bigger" than it really was.

Anyway, I'm just looking for some other "expert" opinions and I figure Mentone is the place to get em.