Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Rotorcraft > Training

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 AM

Default Training in N. California

Hello, I am new to the site and gyro's in general. My friend and I am interested in a two seat gyro to start out with then getting a second two seater in another year or so . I have been looking for training, found one contact at the nut tree airport, and another in Marysville. Unfortunately both are out of business. Does anyone know of a person in northern california providing training at this time?

Thank you,

Jim
Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 AM
heli/gyro cfi

There are a couple of us CFIs in the San Francisco Bay region, but we fly certified Air & Space 18A gyros (not sport pilot eligible). From Redding, you can go up to Oregon or east to Utah, but I don't know of any local NorCal instruction in experimental gyros. PRA chapter 5 at Vacaville / Nut Tree is long gone; the Sierra Rotorcraft Club in the Livermore region is struggling to stay alive, and the fellow who used to operate in Marysville (Joe Souza is the name I recall) has moved on to other interests.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 AM
j bird

Jim, no CFI in Cal. The closest CFI to you is Mike Burton in Spanish Fork, Utah.
(www.airgyro.com)

"Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools talk because they have to say something."

Plato
Old 01-09-2013, 10:44 AM
j bird

Jim, no CFI's in Oregon except Jim Vanick at (www.sportcopter.com) he'll train you if you buy one of his gyro's.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools talk because they have to say something."

Plato
Old 01-09-2013, 02:27 PM
The Jedi

Don't get your hopes up, but Sport Copter will (should) have another CFI available for all in the near future. He's finishing the requirments and might be ready by summer. Besides, it's raining and we just had a nice hail storm move through.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:01 PM
LOVE flying a gyroplane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbaker83 View Post
Hello, I am new to the site and gyro's in general. My friend and I am interested in a two seat gyro to start out with then getting a second two seater in another year or so . I have been looking for training, found one contact at the nut tree airport, and another in Marysville. Unfortunately both are out of business. Does anyone know of a person in northern california providing training at this time? Thank you, Jim
Jim: There are two guys actively flying gyros in Yreka. One is retired (flies a Sport Copter Lightning), and the other is a rancher (flies a Soma). They are glad to meet other flyers, and they regularly fly with a trike guy and another couple of ultralight-style airplane guys.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:01 PM
AWS CWI

Default just a suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbaker83 View Post
Hello, I am new to the site and gyro's in general. My friend and I am interested in a two seat gyro to start out with then getting a second two seater in another year or so . I have been looking for training, found one contact at the nut tree airport, and another in Marysville. Unfortunately both are out of business. Does anyone know of a person in northern california providing training at this time?

Thank you,

Jim
I am in the same boat. I gave up and started in on my Heli PPL. Its expensive but I am having the time of my life. If your interested then contact these guys in Hayward. www.verticalcfi.com
PRA#42140
Old 01-11-2013, 10:37 AM

Thanks everybody, it sounds like we will probably travel to utah or oregon. We are in Redding, so they are each a bit of a drive but not too bad. I will get a hold of the guys in yreka, I saw some of their photos on another site.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:18 PM
heli/gyro cfi

There's also a SparrowHawk in Livermore, as well as our 18As near San Jose.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: