Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > General > News

Old 05-02-2012, 04:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to REDHORSE556CES
Default Here's What Really Happened (Update)

I reported on 4/5/2010 the death of a local well known FW pilot at the airport in Breckenridge, Texas.

Here's what happened:

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/br...04X61705&key=1
Old 05-03-2012, 06:05 AM
Gyroplane Instructor

Very sad. I will say a prayer for his family.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

So sad to lose a fellow pilot.
My prays and condolences to the family!!!

PRA- Board of Director - Secretary
PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS

Last edited by All_In; 05-04-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 PM

I grew up in Breckinridge and my sister was a good friend of his daughter, who was killed while taking flight lessons. I never really met Howard, but I did introduce myself to him while at the Wings over Houston Airshow. He blew me off with a handful of arrogance. I've seen him fly several times at airshows, and he always put on a good show.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Gold Supporter

Quote:
He blew me off with a handful of arrogance.
Necessary Bobby? The guy has passed. Just makes you look bad.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Homebuilt Heli Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resasi View Post
Necessary Bobby? The guy has passed. Just makes you look bad.
Sad, but true statement maybe?

Reminds me of the saying: "you get old pilots, and you get bold pilots, but not old bold pilots...". So maybe this arrogance reference has relevance?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Gold Supporter

No I don't think so.

The guy had had a very long career. Long enough to where I would believe that his record had established his credentials as a pretty skilled operator.

When any of us in any profession go to the limits, that fine edge between a brilliant performance and death, then any slight mistake will end fatally. This I believe has nothing to do with a derogatory comment to do with a personal encounter in which nobody can say what caused the impression Bobby came away with.

Do you know Bobby?

Besides, contrary to your mis-quoted axiom, as it happens, in this case he was just that. An old bold pilot.

I just happened to feel it wasn't a necessary comment. If you didn't feel that way and felt it had it's relevance, well I guess I have just chosen to disagree with that too.

Comes of posting late I guess. Not personal at all.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:35 AM

Gonna stand up for Bobby this time. I do understand that social justice seems to say never to speak ill of the deceased. However it is also an injustice to deny a man his honest feelings simply because the perpetrator of those feelings has gone on. I suppose it may serve us well to try and remember to clear up misunderstandings and perceived slights in order that at our own passing no one feels the need to vocalize a grudge against one of us.
We are almost all here a rather outspoken lot, and we have partaken of several (recent) squabbles. There have been several apologies as well. Those fellows are the least likely th leave a sour impression on me in case of their untimely demise. Cheers!!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancho View Post
Gonna stand up for Bobby this time. I do understand that social justice seems to say never to speak ill of the deceased. However it is also an injustice to deny a man his honest feelings simply because the perpetrator of those feelings has gone on. I suppose it may serve us well to try and remember to clear up misunderstandings and perceived slights in order that at our own passing no one feels the need to vocalize a grudge against one of us.
We are almost all here a rather outspoken lot, and we have partaken of several (recent) squabbles. There have been several apologies as well. Those fellows are the least likely th leave a sour impression on me in case of their untimely demise. Cheers!!
Amen brother Frank! Sometimes out of politeness we rather bite our tongues so we "don't look bad" in the eyes of others. Frankly (nu pun intended ) I for one rather appreciate the truth even if it's not a merciful lie! If a person is an a$$ I rather have that info about him than getting a polite but false info. In my experience arrogant people do make bad decisions more often by definition due to their arrogance. Have seen it way too many times..... just and opinion of course.....and it don't mean nuttin'
Old 05-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Haha, would ya believe it if I told ya me name actually IS Frank Lee?? I don't know too many folks blessed like that! I guess my frankness comes naturally! But dam, I sure hafta do a lot of apologizing.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:56 PM
J.R. Brown

Hay Frank...it's in your profile Bro.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:30 PM

Not the middle name! Probably ought to add it though.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:33 AM
Gold Supporter

Well Frank then I guess that while I will just have to go with my 'honest feeling' that the comment was unnecessary, I accept Bobby's feeling that he had to say he felt the man was arrogant, on a thread that was discussing that man's passing.

Your right, we are an outspoken lot, seems to go with the territory, and yes, we do reserve our right to disagree with each other.

I for one never knew the man, or any of his failings; simply respected his abilities to create grace and beauty in the medium we all love.

Am sorry that someone who could demonstrate that beauty so well, to so many, has left us.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:31 PM

I'm sorry about that too Leigh. Somtimes I wish I were involved in something less likely to bring these events upon us so often. But I just can't seem to appreciate needlework the way I do aircraft. So I guess we just have to revel in the joy of actually participating in the one thing mankind has dreamed of for mellinia, and accept the possible consequences of our actions.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Gold supporter

I don't know the man you are talking about, but in my area, there is one of the best fixed wing/ helicopter pilots I have ever seen, But he is the most arrogant S.O.B. I have ever met, and these are not just my feelings, they are the feelings of every body who knows him. When he dies, his legacy will be what an arrogant S.O.B. he was, not what a good pilot he was. There was nothing wrong with Bobby's post, in my opinion.

James Lee - TN

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: