Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Kit Makers & Manufacturers > Helicycle

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 09:25 AM

YLF what mount on the vertical compass looks like 4 screws through panel, is there some compliant mount to isolate from the hull?
Stan the cat has 2 catnip plants for its personal use, & it is still trying to phone Gabor
Old 04-20-2012, 11:43 AM

500e - That's Stan's panel in the picture, I think it's been working ok for him, I hope so because mine is done similarly but I'm not to the point where I can test mine yet.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanFoster View Post
500- Not sure what you are asking about the screws. My VCC filled the hole where I would put a transponder which is very unlikely, but arranged for anyway. Stan
Hi Stan in the compass instructions it suggests a compliant mounting for the instrument all the ones I have seen have a mount to the frame Then a soft rubber vibration damper to isolate it.
Just wondering if you have some crafty mount hidden behind the front ?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:54 AM
Gold Supporter

Default Basic maintenance

Its a cold Saturday morning, and a great time to do my basic maintenance on the Turbinator.

The first three pictures are draining my tail rotor gearbox oil. Its only a small amount...I pour it into a red plastic cup, then transfer the oil slowly to a clear cup and slowly roll the film of oil around with a bright light behind it looking for anything. The first 50 hours this oil would have a metallic gold paint look to it, but I was told that is normal and it would slowly diminish. It has and I just put in new oil every 10 hours. Takes all of 5 minutes to drain, and replace the oil. I leave the drained oil in the cup for further evaluation.

I moved on to check my belt tension that drives the main and tail rotors. B.J. Schramm developed this system as a torque limiter to the gearbox. At my factory checkout, Doug set the belt tension with his pull gauge....then I used mine and placed a red mark on it to have an accurate setting since our pull gauges read a little differently. I initially only had to tighten the belts one time up to 10 hours...then since I have had the same over center pull reading on my gauge...and havent had to tighten them once.

I could overtighten these belts and turn the fuel on at the turbine and have one smoking hotrod......but that would be over torquing the transmission and shorten its life. I dont want to find out how much it shortens its life by over tightening these belts.

My free fuel flow check was next. Typically my fuel system delivers a 25 gph flow to the turbine. I take the fuel line off the fuel pump on the turbine and time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon fuel can. Once I caught my fuel flow down to 20 gph....which is way more than plenty, but was indicating something was restricting my fuel flow. I posted this over a year ago and had discovered algae on my gascolator filter screen. Since then I have been adding biobor to my fuel...and I havent seen so much a speck since then.

I cant let complacency take over, so I still persistently look for problems. My fuel flow check was normal, and I also took my gascolator screen off and inspected it. It looked very clean, but I put some kerosene in that red solo cup and sloshed the filter vigorously in the fuel for quite awhile....spinnning it in my fingers and everything. I inspected the kerosene in the cup as with that white interior, any foreign material is easily seen. I could see very small specks of debris hardly detectable by eye.....it could have had 100 times as much and wouldnt been as bad as the black green algae that had it half plugged as I previously mentioned. I put it all back together...re safety wired the gascolator bowl to my fuel shut off arm. I love that fuel shut off as it cuts the fuel right before the gascolator and not even a drip of kerosene while I am cleaning the filter.

Next I greased the collective slider. During the cold weather I just apply Marvel Mystery oil, then change to grease in the warmer weather. The reason is I fly year round from single digit temps to upper 90's. One day it was around 10 degrees out and I pulled the pre-flighted Turbinator out of its heated nest.....then took off for a flight. I noticed my collective was getting real stiff. I checked my collective friction and it was off. I immediately flew it back to the shop and the collective just was binding up badly. I was really concerned I had something wrong with the rotorshaft or elastomeric bearings....I just didnt know. I pulled the Turbinator in the heated hanger, and was really perplexed. I couldnt find anything that looked wrong...but a little later I noticed the collective was nice and loose again. I slapped my dumb forehead....or trying to slap the dumb grey matter that was behind it and realized it was just my grease thickening up on the collective slider. The 70 degree shop temp thinned out the grease again.

I cleaned the collective shaft off and applied Marvel mystery oil....and then just took it outside to let it acclimate to the single cold temps. It never stiffened a bit.....so since then...its Marvel Mystery oil in the winter...and now grease till next winter.

A few shots of grease on some zerks....and the machine is ready for its next mission. Next is a nice was job as the TV crew is coming up Thursday to tape the TV show segment. Got to go prean its feathers!

Stan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April21 001.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	92491   Click image for larger version

Name:	April21 003.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	92492   Click image for larger version

Name:	April21 006.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	92493   Click image for larger version

Name:	April21 009.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	92494   Click image for larger version

Name:	April21 016.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	92495  

Name:	April21 019.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	92496   Click image for larger version

Name:	April21 024.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	92497  

www.stansstairways.com

Last edited by StanFoster; 04-21-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:46 AM

stan, you need to watch that moroso oil cooler very close after taking the guts out. i blew one apart this morning. i was turning the drive train without the blades at 14000 rpm to check a few things and i heard of pop. the pressure actually broke one of the t15 screws and let the o-ring bulge out. this sprayed progear 21 everywhere. i have spent the entire morning cleaning up the mess. i am not sure taking the guts have had any effect, but i know i can't run the thing on my transmission.

hank canup
03-04
Old 04-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Gold Supporter

Hank- I would almost bet $100 that you had the filter put in backwards blocking the exiting oil. There is only one way it will work correctly. One way the oil flows easily, the other way the oil pressure actually forces the filters base to seal off the exiting port. I could see the oil pump blowing the o-rings or blowing out the end like yours did. I studied this intensely when I installed mine. Later I took the filter out all together as I have a nice filter anyway on the transmission. The main transmission has low oil pressure during operation. I had an 8 pound pressure switch that would flicker, so I went to a 2 pound switch. My instrument panel has a bright red light that will catch my attention immediately if I lose oil pressure for whatever reason plus I monitor the oil temperature as well. That Morosso oil cooler really keeps my oil cooler on hot days. Stan

www.stansstairways.com

Last edited by StanFoster; 04-28-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:55 PM

stan. my cooler was gutted. no filter installed at all. just keep an eye on it.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:44 AM

Hank,
Have you verified the orientation of the filter in the transmission? I can't see how it could have made that much pressure, especially at that RPM, unless something was blocking the flow.

Mike
Old 04-29-2012, 04:19 AM
Gold Supporter

Hank- You are absolutely correct about watching thst oil cooler, or any oil line in my opinion. Before I installed my oil cooler, I didn't like the idea of oil flowing outside the transmission thru aluminum tubing, just for the fact that I only had an oil temperature gauge. I could see an oil leak pumping out my transmission oil and no indication in the cabin. I doubt my temp gauge would tell me. Thats why I have a red idiot light in my dash. Its tested everytime I spin the rotors up. The light is glowing until the rotors are between 50 and 100 rpm, then it goes out. I love knowing if I lose oil pressure in either the turbine or the main transmission, I have a light to tell me to land NOW! Stan

www.stansstairways.com
Old 04-29-2012, 04:56 AM

i have the same setup of lights and low pressure switches. everything works fine and with no obstructions to fluid flow. i am guessing the fluid could not exit the cooler fast enough. i have installed the factory cooler for the checkout and will replace it latter.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:19 PM

stan, found out why the cooler exploded. blake called me today after seeing the post of helicycle builders and suggested i pull the filter in the trans. it was put in backwards. it came from the factory that way. all fixed now. i am going to get another cooler tommorrow since i already have all the mounting stuff made.

hank
Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanhank View Post
stan, found out why the cooler exploded. blake called me today after seeing the post of helicycle builders and suggested i pull the filter in the trans. it was put in backwards. it came from the factory that way. all fixed now. i am going to get another cooler tommorrow since i already have all the mounting stuff made.
hank
Dang, Stan is always right!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorTom View Post
Dang, Stan is always right!
Hi Tom
I know and when he isn't HE tells me and provides the correct answer always gives credit to folks like Nicolas who help him with any solution.

With my buddy you really get the good, bad, and ugly on everything he does so if you do not want to know the truth do not ask Stan.

I really respect him and appreciate that he has become one of my closest friends... I mean we have slept together and that doesn't even sound right to me.

PRA- Board of Director - Secretary
PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS
Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Gold Supporter

I mentioned earlier that my battery cable going to my starter gets pretty warm on a long startup. I changed out the #4 to a larger #2 copper wire the other day. It really makes a difference on the rpm's that it will crank up to. A turbine needs a lot of battery juice and now I just gave it a bigger straw. The wire runs much cooler now.

Stan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	May2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	92883  

www.stansstairways.com
Old 05-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Never-ending gyro builder

Default Gyro

Hey Stan..

Can I have that gyro sitting in the background since its not going to be used any time soon?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: