Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Kit Makers & Manufacturers > Two Place Open Machines

Old 04-10-2012, 02:53 PM

Default Barnett Dual Stick Control System question

Does anyone have pictures of, or preferably drawings, of the dual stick control system that came out for the Barnett J4-B2 gyroplane.

Does anyone who have used it have any comments on it, whether good or bad.

Coraview
Old 04-10-2012, 08:32 PM

Sorry, but that machine was designed as a 1+1 design. There isn't enough room for a rear seat control. Jerrie never installed any form of one on his machine. He did build a side trainer, by side but I don't think he ever got more than one into the air.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:59 PM

Default Dual stick for training in J4B2

Hi Pancho,

In Homebuilt Rotorcraft magazine, in the 90s, there's a press release about it, but with no details. Apparently it, along with his quiet muffler and shoebox gearbox were its highlights.

I know it would be a very tight installation, but it was done, for the purpose of training in the J4B2.

Coraview
Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 AM

Hi Coraview,

In Jerry Barnett's J4B2 Rainbow Rider, Jerry did install a provision for a removable cyclic for the back seat occupant. The cyclic mounted to the right of the passenger and bent up and over the center of the passenger's lap. Jerry showed me the provision when I visited his shop way back in the early 90s. There were no rudder pedals in the back, nor a throttle either.

Wayne
Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 AM
N41423

Location: Dillinger's Station, PA About 10 miles south of Allentown
Default J4b2-t

Jerrie made a variation to the J4B2 in which he added dual controls and made a few other modifications such as enlarging the horizontal stabilizer. My plans have several of the changes for the J4B2-T incorporated in them. Jerrie told me he built one, but had several problems with it.

It was intended to be a trainer, however the limited room in the back seat was a problem. There was not enough room to get full travel with the same ratio joystick as used in the front. I don't know if he utilized the different ratio joystick for long or just tried it once. The rudder pedals were also a squeeze for anyone with wide feet or heavy boots on. I never sat in a J4B2-T but I suspect it was similar to the Piper J-3 in the back seat as far as foot space is concerned. I have had my shoes wedged in that plane.

Jerrie told me this was one of the reasons he went to the side by side arrangement.

Larry

Wayne,
I didn't see your post until after I had posted. I talked briefly with Jerrie about the side stick but I never saw photos or plans for one. It was interesting, he wouldn't admit it didn't work, it just disappeared into the vapors. I was very interested in his original "shoebox" PSRU. When I asked for additional information, he send me details of the triangular unit. I pressed him on the original design and he kept stalling me with details about how great the triangular unit was. When push came to shove he finally admitted he wasn't selling the original design anymore, period. A few years later I found out why from a person who had bought one.

Regarding the lack of rudder pedals, did he explain how he would handle a cross wind landing without them?

Last edited by L_Butler; 04-11-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Response to Wayne
Old 04-11-2012, 02:03 PM

Well you could be right I used to live about 80 miles from him and visited him quite a bit. I do remember the shoebox red rive and so on, but I could swear that he wouldn't use the aft seat controls because he didn't seem to think he was going to be able to get enough clearance on the tandem. That is why the side by side. But it was quite a while back, and I could be missing somthing. I think I may still try to get ahold of Erline and see if I can get the extension plans. But I don't know if she still sells them.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:40 AM

Default Thanks for the answers

I appreciate everyone taking the time to provide answers to what they know about the dual stick system.

If anyone else has more info, or possibly photos, please post or PM me.

Thanks,

Coraview

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: