Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Kit Makers & Manufacturers > Gyrobee and Related Designs

Old 04-05-2012, 07:06 AM
Banned

Agreed with Doug. Hot wiring is lot less messy. I was only surface repairing with the sander and made such a mess with that little bit of sanding! I used a 24 volt transformer and had a dimmer before if to adjust the juice. Simple little device can make the process much more accurate having the guides made ensuring the symmetrical and same size. A hint when you are done with your sanding. Affix a piece of wooden stick you can pick up at Michael's or any other craft store to ensure a nice straight even trailing edge. Much easier to glass over it that way Good luck buddy. It is fun to make glass tail
PS: come visit your brother and stop by me I'll give you mine with a $hitload of wire!!!!!!!!

Last edited by choppergabor; 04-05-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Gold Supporter

When I shaped the foam for my tail, I attached my shop vacuum to the random orbital sander which did a good job collecting the foam dust. The small amount of hand sanding showed me how messy it could have been.
Mike

If you're lucky enough to fly a gyro, you're lucky enough.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Gold Supporter

Miss Guided sounds good Chris. Boy Mike really started something there.

Hope it goes well for your mods and you get your new tail back onto her, and yourself airborne again soon. Stu did say he was not happy about doing our tail and got help from Dan. Ours bubbled as well, but then dark blue probably not a great color for Florida.

Going back into hospital for another op the ankle, didn't manage to get across this year, and missed B days. The Hornet languishing in the back of the hanger, so not happy.

Did get in some very fun hours in on the Bensen during the surprise mini summer that hit the U.K. last month, but now back to grey skies, rain and snow, with temps in single figures.

The Air Force closed down civilian activities at Rissington recently, the FBO lost the lease. Hopefully though I will be flying from there in the new Military Autogyro Club that is starting up in the hanger we were in, a few of us, ex service, were invited to join.

The new club may also allow some of the other FW and gyro group who had to move out, back into the hanger to help offset costs, so with luck our old bunch will be up and flying together again soon.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Banned

Oh I forgot to ask you what kind of epoxy you were going to use. My tail does NOT bubble anymore after the rightful age of over a year at least! (Jake told me the secret to it) So according to him (and proven being true!) if it's not vacuumed and just layed up like mine it will be sensitive even if the color is white! Less heat of course that way. But as you have seen the first Bensen Days debut did not spare mine either. I had 3 bubbles in less then an hour already when Jake pulled me over telling me to put her in the hangar right away. This year we had the sun blasting it for 4 days in the row on the flight line and no new bubbles. And she is dressed in pretty red too just like yours. Note the yellowish color of the epoxy. It is a high strength MARINE application epoxy. It is designed to take the sun and ultra violet. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	91895  
Old 04-10-2012, 03:36 AM
Best seat in the house!

choppergabor : Well I still have buble problems even 2 years later. But I think I am going to use a pigment in the epoxy this time. At least on the wing parts. No one should have to deal with bubbles that long.

Resasi : The hospital thing is ruff, sister is going in for knee replacement. Hope all goes well keep you in a prayer! I still in the air right not not going to down her until I have it done and ready to transfer over the new TT

multimike : Yep my sand has the little dust bag on it... that help a lot!

Doug Riley : Not really hard to shape it with sand paper. Also I don't have a jig to help with the cut out!

I have not been able to work on the tail anymore side jobs have picked up with working on the golf carts for home owners after work and my Son Forrest kind of moved in, he brought his camper down and needed a place for about a month so I have been wiring the panel box for his hook up, ect...... his wife is expecting a baby in the next few weeks. Grand dad again. This is going to make 2 grand daughters. No boys yet!
1st grand daughter turn 2 next month on the 13th......oh boy!
EAA#1015053
EAA Chapter 1514
2009 Gyrobee N1481
My Gyro build www.deerhuntingstandplans.com/Gyro.htm
My website www.deerhuntingstandplans.com
mydirtydog@yahoo.com

If you are not flying it is because you are dragging your feet.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

Congratulations Dog!
I've have 10 granddaughters and 4 grandsons and I enjoy all of them.

However only the boys will go to the airshows and on our last trip to Indiana. One the U-Haul trucks broke down. We were going to be stranded for two days. I offered to stay and they continue without me. They did not to do that, so I suggested that New Orleans is only about 5 or 6 hundred miles from here (in the wrong direction).

Why not take the cars we are towing and drive to New Orleans.

The girls loved it, being in a bar and listening to Dixieland bands.

The boys (5 & 7 yrs) were bored in about 15 minuets and wanted to run around.

So I took them outside to explore and as we turned the corner we saw to choppers all customized parked. The boys ran as fast as they could. They must have asked 1000 questions on what does that do?
Anyway we were there for over two hours when the girls came out they want to go to eat. But the boys wanted to stay and just look at the bikes.

They are all fun but they have different interests!

PRA- Board of Director - Secretary
PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS
Old 05-08-2012, 11:59 AM

Default T Tail

I built a T Tail for my gyrobee, lots of rudder athority and a hefty HS (58")
You can buy kit from http://www.starbeegyros.com/

http://webpages.charter.net/gadgetwi...s/IMG_0021.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/gadgetwi...s/IMG_0024.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/gadgetwi...s/IMG_0025.JPG

Last edited by Tinman; 05-08-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: