Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Rotorcraft > Piloting Technique / Accident Discussions

Old 04-08-2012, 03:46 AM
Too Short a Member

'Holding the flashlight' for Gabor while he completed Behemoth was enlightening. (Beyond the fact that I can now curse fluently in Hungarian.)
As a result of some communications errors, the initial fitment of his SportCopter rotor system could indeed allow a tail strike. Gab remedied the situation by changing the rotor hub to teeter block interface to preclude a tail strike. Think of a thicker teeter block which restricts the teetering motion of the rotor hub slightly.
I would argue that once the rotor is up to flight speed, this mod in no way adversely impacts the stick back/forward range of motion as the rotor teeters within normal limits. It only impact the rotor at low rrpm when the rotor can flop about.
Back to the thread - why can't this solution be applied to the MTO so that rotor/tail contact can never be achieved?

Larry Hughes
582 Blue Head Dominator, pull start, 2.62:1 'C' box, coilovers, 60" Warp, 23' DWs
PRA Member, Sunstate Wing & Rotor Club, EAA Chapter 1288 X59
Old 04-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
'Holding the flashlight' for Gabor while he completed Behemoth was enlightening. (Beyond the fact that I can now curse fluently in Hungarian.)
Gab remedied the situation by changing the rotor hub to teeter block interface to preclude a tail strike. Think of a thicker teeter block which restricts the teetering motion of the rotor hub slightly.
ROFLMAO on the fluency in Hungarian cussing
Jim Vanek told me how important it was to not have metal to metal contact on the hub bar. The way I made mine in the improbable event of the contact now will be a nice long large plastic surface opposed to an aluminum edge like surface putting all the pressure on one tiny line of great force across the hub bar. It was never meant to have that kind of abuse.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:18 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Rusty Russell

Now 30 hrs on the sports rotors... Happy with them... Im amazed at how sensitive the gyro is to weight... feeling is believing! Happy with the MTO...
Old 06-05-2012, 04:57 AM
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Ground-handling with spinning rotors is a valuable skill to have and to practice but, if the pre-rotator fails on an MTO, you're going straight to the bar to drown your sorrows. IMHO the syllabus needs to change to reflect that we're only going to be training in 2-seat manufacturer machines from next month.
Clive, interesting to hear Chris telling us that he was trained to do hand start, perhaps the UK training could include this basic exercise.

With regard to the demise of single seat training it has been a bit of a mission to see that it will be retained. We await the latest section 44 to see if that has been successful. I feel strongly there is a case for having both.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:50 AM

Default Rotor blade breakage pattern

Hi all.
need help to analyse the damage pattern or the causes of damage to the main rotor blades of Schweizer TH 300C . I have loaded the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6040029.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	94257   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6040031.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	94258   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6040039.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	94259  
Old 06-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

Need the whole picture, Airframe, Ground scars, All the pieces together, Last time I saw a H-269 in pieces was a dubble fatal -It hit inverted high speed during IIMC. What's the story?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:28 AM

thanks for consideration. I ll update the rest today... busy in investigation of the same occurrence. however, since its fatal, i have only the eye witness story to tell you i.e. the helicopter was flying in close proximity of the river surface and it just kept on decreasing the height and then into the water. During the wreckage recovery, the helicopter was found lying port side. Its canopy was completely damaged, tail boom cut from 2 areas. However, the engine run was carried out yesterday which revealed its servicability even after the crash and recovering it from water. So the power of helicopter was available at the time of impact. Rest , i ll show you the images and probable deductions that i have driven from them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: