Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Kit Makers & Manufacturers > Rotor Flight Dynamics - Dominator

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 03:27 PM

Default Dominator build N553MH

Well here goes. The N number above has been applied for, it is not being used so I should have a conformation in a few weeks.

I have my Dominator donor gyro for parts that I purchased last Labor Day weekend.

I just received my EA-81 last week on a freight truck from New Jeresy. I am trying for the first time on a new program to resize and post photo's of the sub.

First thing is to crack this baby open and check the condition and order all new gasket set, bearings and seals, oil pump and water pump. I am looking for a EA-82 intake because it has a larger air passage way. Will find a distributor later and convert to dual pick-ups. Neil will provide the redrive.
So much for now -- so much more to come. Looking forward to everyones imput.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	90048   Click image for larger version

Name:	sub2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	90049   Click image for larger version

Name:	sub3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	90050  
Old 02-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Gold Supporter

Mike- Good luck on your build. It will be interesting to watch another build going on. Stan

Helicopters turn air into their runway.

Got kerosene?

www.stansstairways.com
Old 02-06-2012, 03:52 PM

Thanks Stan.

I will sell a Hirth engine with redrive and a set of 23 ft Dragon wings made around 2000, they have the rivets on the trailing edge. These are off the donor gyro.

I will need at least a set of 24 ft if not 25 ft rotors.

Mike
Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Banned

Good luck Mike with your build. Take a lot of pictures as I know for a fact this forum has a sick fetish with pics and videos. We kind of like to look at ideas. Keep chipping away the block and one day you'll surprise yourself by sitting in the seat of the machine you had built! Awesome feeling. Cheers....
Old 02-06-2012, 06:27 PM

Thanks Gabor

Doing some research here sub is a 83 brat so it has the big valves and sohc. This is a plus, the guy that had it already pulled the heads and replaced the gaskets but I'm going all the way in.

I will never have as nice a gyro as your build Gabor but will give it my best.

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hook View Post
Thanks Gabor

Doing some research here sub is a 83 brat so it has the big valves and sohc. This is a plus, the guy that had it already pulled the heads and replaced the gaskets but I'm going all the way in.

I will never have as nice a gyro as your build Gabor but will give it my best.

Thanks
Mike
Thanks Mike for the compliment BUT never say never! I think you are going to have a beautiful gyro and if you just keep in mind of what it is that YOU want you'll end up with exactly just that. I found out during my build that there are a lot of great minds in here and they will lend ideas 500/minute Use this resource! I know I have and still am using them. At the same time keep your ideas and match them with the ones that come close to yours. I am excited to see another build get started Life is grand. That soob sure looks like a nice strong engine! Excellent choice. SO the donor gyro is pretty much intact right? Not a basket case per say? This is cool! I need some reading material after I am done LOL!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:50 PM

Well it is offical, the FAA granted my N number N553MH so that is taken care of.

Does anyone know of a good place to get OEM Subaru parts online. I really dont have time to drive to my closed dealer. I want to make sure that I am getting only OEM parts for the inside of my EA-81.

Thanks

Mike
Old 03-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Very cool, cannot wait to see the rest of the build!
Thanks for sharing!!

PRA- Board of Director - Secretary
PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS
Old 03-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Gold Member

Hi Mike

Looks like you got a SUPER CLEAN engine, if it was me, I would bore scope the cylinders through the spark plug holes and if I see clear cross hatch marks on the cylinder walls I would not split the case. You are right on the head gaskets, OEM is top quality. The factory was so particular on head bolt torque that they specified that the engine have the head pointing vertical when setting the torque. I see by the photos you got one that had a automatic transmission, this means you got the "good" cam also as it will also have hydrualic valve lifters. When you look for the EA-82 intake manifold look for the one that has the SPI fuel injection (around 1987-88)instead of carburetor. The carburetor manifold has a oblong hole where the carb fits and the SPI has a single large round hole the just needs a little enlargment for a single barrel carb. Be sure to use hot water circulation in the adapter plate to prevent most carb ice, also be sure to tie the little brass nipple on the top of the block to the intake manifold water system, this is the engine block "air bleed " outlet for the cooling system and it will eventually pass any air to the radiator vent. Also look for a late 70's thermostat housing from a EA-71 ( they are very small) compared to the later ones (direct fit). With a re-drive you will be VERY HAPPY.

Tony
Old 03-24-2012, 09:31 AM

Thanks Tony for the info. I just got back in from a trip to PPG Dougs home, taking pictures of his ea-81 set-up. Helecopter Ed did his intake and carb using a stock set-up that looks great. Heading out to the shop now to see how I am going to build the new motor mounts.

Doug, thanks for your time today.

Mke
Old 08-01-2012, 03:20 PM

Default Mentone

I have been here at Mentone since last Sat receiving some traing from Steve.
My wife called me to let me know the last of my redrive and motor mount parts have came in from Neil in New Zeland.
I have had the good luck up here to vist with Helecoptor Ed and Herman Yates, both The best with EA-81 subs.
I have had the time to visit with Ernie Boyette on the Dominator parts I need.
Looking forward to really getting started on finishing up tthis build.
Mike
Old 12-16-2012, 04:33 AM

Question
I have purchased a frame motor mount for my ea-81 from Neil but I do not have the brace going down to the frame. I intend on building my own but my question at what angle should I set my thrust line as to the keel angle?

Thanks
mike
Old 12-16-2012, 05:00 AM
Platinum Member

On the Dom it is --ZERO.

Jake
Old 12-16-2012, 05:19 AM

Thanks Jake

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: