For SgurlEd

Master Roda

The Jedi
This is for you. You know who you are..... :)

This was taken very early one morning, I was inspired of course.

Attachments

• BESTPIC.jpg
    BESTPIC.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 0
Jon...

Jon...

what the hell is that? Moisture? is this the surface of Venus? the ground looks like the view from scappose airport, but all that white stuff.....I don;t know....perhaps it was airbrushed in.
A very hot dry friend,
Ben S

Thom,

Facing Mt Hood from Scappoose Airport.

Gary,

I'm not sure what kind of fog it is :) That area is a wildlife refuge, and is next to the Columbia River. In the fall when the sky is clear, the ground heats up early in the morning and looks like this for a very short time. The sun lit it up that morning.

Last edited:
Jon...
The say the purest form of flattery is imitation...well I am Flattered!

What a special gift to give to me Jon!

What an incredibly beautiful picture. I blew it up and could see all the lovely details you caught in your image. It touches my heart that I can inspire someone else with my photos.

All I can say is Wow...don't move to my neck of the woods and compete with me at the Fair I wouldn't stand a chance! The mist you see is actually called tule fog. We have that here a lot in California.

Here is it's definition and why it happens...

Tule fog (pronounced /ˈtuːliː/) is a thick ground fog that settles in the San Joaquin Valley and Sacramento Valley areas of California's Great Central Valley. Tule fog forms during the late fall and winter (California's rainy season) after the first significant rainfall. The official time frame for tule fog to form is from November 1 to March 31. This phenomenon is named after the tule grass wetlands (tulares) of the Central Valley. Accidents caused by the tule fog are the leading cause of weather-related casualties in California.

Here's my gift to you...Cheers! Ed
3109805417_57cb03a356.jpg

I still think it's convection fog .

I believe that Tule fog is a specific type of convection fog? IIRC it's know for it's geographic location and you can almost schedule it's arrival. But I learned this many, many, years ago...

Last edited:
See !
Just like I said CONVECTION FOG .
What does SqurlEd know ???

Hey SqurlED I like your photo's and I think your Hot .
Scary Gary...
You wouldn't be saying that if you saw the way I look when I first wake up in the morning...you know curlers & cold cream. Just ask Vance he hides out on the forum until I'm presentable....it takes a lot of "product" to look this hot...LOL

I was actually thinking of going plastic like this gal...
3817857725_5559c9702b.jpg

Nice to hear from you Gary! Cheers! Ed

See !
Just like I said CONVECTION FOG .
What does SqurlEd know ???

Both answers are correct but Super Girl Ed knew a more specific name for it?:Cry:

So there!

So there!

What does an Aloha , Oregonian know??

Us Californians are always right!!
So don't be a silly baby and pout in the corner or I'll have to Spank you and give you a time-out young man!

Tule fog (pronounced too-lee) is a very thick fog that collects in parts of California during the rainy season of the late fall and winter. It is a type of radiation fog, caused by the combination of increased humidity due to the rain and rapid cooling due to the longer nights. Tule fog makes for very low visibility and is the cause of many accidents every year.

Tule fog gathers in the Central Valley, from Bakersfield in the south to Chico in the north, and sometimes as far west as San Francisco. Tule fog is created because warm air rises. Cold mountain air descends into the valley during the night and becomes trapped due to low air drainage throughout the Central Valley. The cooler temperatures and reduced sunlight of the winter months make tule fog very slow to burn off, and it can persist for days. The air above the tule fog is warmer, drier, and lighter, further serving to trap the heavy, humid fog within the valley.

Visibility in tule fog ranges from a high of 600 feet (183 meters) to under a foot (30.5 cm). Traffic in zero visibility tule fog has been the cause of fatal accidents, usually due to multiple vehicle pile-ups. Such disasters are often exacerbated by accompanying weather conditions including freezing drizzle and black ice, which makes the road slippery but is invisible to drivers.

Ed, your right, it's radiation fog, sometimes called tule fog.
It's not convection fog.

Thanks Jay for the re-education!

Living in Antioch

Living in Antioch

So don't be a silly baby and pout in the corner or I'll have to Spank you and give you a time-out young man!

Tule fog (pronounced too-lee) is a very thick fog that collects in parts of California during the rainy season of the late fall and winter. It is a type of radiation fog, caused by the combination of increased humidity due to the rain and rapid cooling due to the longer nights. Tule fog makes for very low visibility and is the cause of many accidents every year.

Tule fog gathers in the Central Valley, from Bakersfield in the south to Chico in the north, and sometimes as far west as San Francisco. Tule fog is created because warm air rises. Cold mountain air descends into the valley during the night and becomes trapped due to low air drainage throughout the Central Valley. The cooler temperatures and reduced sunlight of the winter months make tule fog very slow to burn off, and it can persist for days. The air above the tule fog is warmer, drier, and lighter, further serving to trap the heavy, humid fog within the valley.

Visibility in tule fog ranges from a high of 600 feet (183 meters) to under a foot (30.5 cm). Traffic in zero visibility tule fog has been the cause of fatal accidents, usually due to multiple vehicle pile-ups. Such disasters are often exacerbated by accompanying weather conditions including freezing drizzle and black ice, which makes the road slippery but is invisible to drivers.

Living in Antioch, CA, I would often drive the levee roads toward Stockton, and the tule fog was literally so thick you could not see the hood ornament. Back then, some cars had hood ornaments. I was caught out in a convection fog in a J-3 I had just finished rebuilding, I hate wing stitching, flying back to Antioch from Rio Vista where I had gone for a meal and good water to wash my new plane. Met a solid wall of fog at the Antioch Bridge, turned around for Rio Vista and it had closed behind me. I dared not go over the top, so I flew next to the bridge and followed Highway 4 into A Street at about a hundred feet, then proceeded out A Street to Lone Tree Way to the Airport, flying between the two water tank hills and over the reservoir at the golf course. Good thing I knew the terrain and the towers and lines because I lost the ground several times. The Airport heard me approaching but could not believe anyone would be in the air. I knew every hill and bush out there, and landed safely, feeling my way to the tarmac and pilot's lounge.

oooh,threaten me with a good time baby..

Just kidding Vance,we all know she is your lady.

you found a good one.

Looking forward to seeing you 2 flying the predator again soon with the new engine.

I miss your dual flights and posts of your adventures.