Is this "our" Dick DeGraw in the news?

Cody wrote"The airport owner also doesn't mention the road or trees as obstructions. Since it's a Private Use airport..."

According to the lawyers, the airport owner should have put up a picture of the Space shuttle on a yellow caution sign. You never know when they might come and land the shuttle, and those dump trucks should be watching out more closely; ok, just kidding

In this case, the dump truck driver should have called ahead and known that half the landing strip was unuseable(like the pilot did), and yet the dump truck driver still elected to use the county road by the airport ....what negligence on his part.......wow.

Scott Heger, Laguna Niguel, Ca N86SH

Poke in the eye.

Poke in the eye.

For all the windshields I have had destroyed by debris tossed from some dump truck that was headed down the road... or
kicked up from the tires that had no mud flaps.... The law here in NC says tough luck motorist....

From all the flat tires I have had from debris left on the road....from our friendly dump truck operators....

From all the pot holes they tear up the roads.......

From getting the royal screw job this year at the conclusion of my wifes auto accident. I say.

Pay back is a bitch boys. What goes around comes around !

Sorry but thats how I feel.

Good for Dick. and his wife. They got even for me ! This world has come down to not who is right or wrong, just who has the better lawyers, knows the judge, is politically connected, and has the large insurance policy.

And that my friends is why reality is what it is.

I dont agree with it but I understand it.
Jonathan

Sounds to me like everybody did everything right and still somebody got hurt. Wait a minute, where have I heard that before on this forum? Maybe it's contagious!!

And another thing....

And another thing....

Dick was asking for less than 20g. Insurance companies keep a staff of an entire law firm on retainer under contract. 59g for "defending" this case. More insurance fraud. If you honestly think that the ins co actually paid some big wig law firm cash money to defend just this case you got another thing coming. If they were not working this case they would still be paying. The ins co can write all this b.s off. If they paid the claim in the first place they could have saved themselves 40g. But that would go against the industries policy of "litigate every case to the wall" !!! Translated: Screw everybody you can.

J

OK Jonathan, now you are just getting insulting! I know where you live and I have low friends in gunships!!
My boss says we are in business to pay claims. I'm in it to get my youngest out of high school so I can buy that Harley my wife wants to get me. That and keep the shareholders happy. Never mind, that would still be me.

Sorry Doc.

Sorry Doc.

Had to rehash this cause I was cleaning out my office yesterday and came across all the photos and papework related to my experience and it boiled me putting me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. I should not paint all with a broad brush but I know several other people that got burned like I.

The latest scam the police are doing is that they are NOT even writing accident reports on accidents that involve totaled cars and people that get taken to the hospital. I dont know what the angle on that is but it smells. I guess no tickets, no blame, nothing to worry about come trial time.

I should be in a more festive mood, serves me for cleaning up.

J

No problem Jon. Just had to rag ya. When my wife and daughter we in a wreck at Ft Bragg, the day I arrived in Korea, we were clueless as to what needed to be done. My wife contacted an attorney that did nothing. the medical bills were paid so I guess that is something. Since I started this job, my wife has been rear-ended twice. Essentially I advised my insurance company that I would let them know if I needed back-up. Naturally they advised me of my collision deductible both times and both times I asked them what that had to do with the accidents. Your collision deductible only applies if the the accident is your fault or you live in a "no fault" state. Otherwise you make the other insurance company pay for everything. Deductibles don't even apply. To shorten up a long story, the car was fixed both times with no problem, we got a rental car when we needed it, a sore wrist is good for $1500 and a sprained ankle is good for $3000. I had no intentions of of trying to make a big score and I let the other claims adjusters know up front that I am an underwriter and all we wanted was what was what was due and customary. If you don't try to take an insurance company and it's not a major accident with severe, things get done quickly and properly if you can keep the lawyers out of it. In the second case I even collected the medical reports and sent them in myself. The reasons I did myself were speed and cost. It would have taken the company that collects medical reports 3 weeks to do what I did in a couple of hours. They also would have charged the insurance company $500. For two hours of my time and $14.95 to FedEx we got the settlement check before the paper collectors would have even started. If I knew in 1986 what I know now, my wife wouldn't have gone through so much pain and suffering and my daughter would have a nice little trust fund.

Where the accident took place was a no-fault state. There are variants of no-fault, in most states the laws are written so the lawyers can still make their money.

This was one of those cases where the only way to get to the solution was to put it into a courtroom, I think. It's ugly any way you look at it, except for the blessing that there were no serious injuries. You can replace any airplane in the world in half an hour with Trade-a-Plane.

The airport is clearly not safe, and it wouldn't be safe even if there wasn't so much vegetation blocking the view both ways. But the owner of such a field can say, "well, I always come in steeper than that in my Helio" or whatever... it was a bad conglomeration of events. If the kid had been driving a pick-up truck instead, he'd just have seen a shadow flash over him and wondered, "WTF was that?" Dick wouldn't even have seen the car pass under him (where's your attention on short final?).

I would suppose that the no-fault statute in the case at hand prevents either party from suing the airport owner. Dick and Karol would also have to overcome the legal doctrine of assumption of risk -- they presumably knew they were going in to a less than ideal field. But in a no-fault state, the insurer just pays claims and doesn't quibble about fault.

For those of you who only fly gyros, a C150 with its forty degrees of flaps comes in pretty steep for a fixed wing trainer, especially if you are trying to nail a short field landing, but not like a gyro.