Bensen Special for sale.

billygyro

Parsons 2 (AirHog)
Aircraft
Parsons 2 Lycoming 0320 powerd
Total Flight Time
350 F/W -82/Gyro and counting
Well it's time to put the Gyro up for sale, comes with trailor and blade box,prop covers, head covers,blade racks that are removable for stringing up the blades,fold down ramp,wench for easy load, trailor is 12 ft single axle with title, bought brand new when i built the gyro,
The gyro is a Bensen type with lots of upgrades, 25 ft. dragon wings,hydrolic pre-rotator(130 rpm), inflight trim,100+ hp subaru,direct drive, 2 blade prop,tall tail,main brakes,wheel pants,nose pod with winsheild and carpet(floor & dash top),two 6 gal. tanks,4 point harnes with quick release,fold up arms for easy entry,tall seat with custom cover,two stobes,everything on it is new, only has 13.5 hrs since new and still climbing when weather permits, (instraments are)- air speed,alt,vsi,hobbs,water temp,volts,oil pres, gps-garmin 296 color moveing map,radio,push to talk,helment with visers(2- clear and smoked) fuel timer/flight timer, and much more.
The gyro has N number,and Air worthy cit, complet logs from start, taxies like a caddy, everything works perfect, flys good in ground efect- so far i am in the first 40 hrs and not have my solo sign off yet for a pat. flight so with that being said i can fly the 40 off befor delivery or you can fin, the 40. can be deliverd to Bensen days.
I was going to ask for $ 18,500 after the 40 hr. but will sell now for $15,500. all goes with it. YOU WONT FIND A DEAL LIKE THIS ANYWHERE. Nice Machine.
Contact me by phone or e-mail/priv-m. (931)542-8697

Last edited:
Billy:
You worked so hard for so long, why are you selling? B-Days will be great place to sell.
Good luck on your sale.

Jake

Hello Jake, I have a 2 place drop keel Parsons to build next and need the funding to complete it.
The Parsons has always been my favorite ever since i seen Steve's machine, I love gyro's of all makes and models but the Parsons just hits my hot spot.
I have only 2.5 hrs to go with my instructor and then I will go to Steve for as many hrs as he thinks is needed for me to fly the Parsons (by my self -no passaengers) until i have enough time to fly safely with a passenger. anyway, thats the game plan.
Also I really like to build !

Billygyro--Nice looking gyro --that being said I only have one comment. You are using a DD Subaru EA 82. That engine stock only puts out approx 80 HP @ 5200 RPM. Even with a LOT of mods you can only get about 110 out of it and that will be in the 5000+ RPM range. That will take a redrive to accomplish. In the operating range for a DD ( to keep prop tip speed down ) you will only be putting out 60-65 HP maybe more if it is cammed pretty good.

But like I said it IS a NICE gyro -but it needs a redrive to get the power that is available in that engine--

Yeah, how did the test flights go ?????????????

Mike, the gyro has right at 450 lbs of trust at 3200. rpm's. the truth is i was told what the HP was for that set up from someone that knows Subaru's pretty good, but that might not be right as well, also i have the logs for that engein back when it was built from the prev. owner and the log states the HP of 85. and then it had the cams done and moved it up to 100 HP. It Feels like a 100 + to me. I really think it will put out much more with a redrive but it does fine like it is and not running the gut's out of it as well. witch in my OP that is always better on the engein, ( is it not)?? why push for more hp when it dont need it, it has plenty.
This is a gret machine and not just looks, flys smooth and stable, but keep in mind, i only have flown it down the runway and only once or twiced got it out of ground effect. I would keep it but i have to sell at this point, what i really would like to do is keep it for a while and build some time in it. soon as weather clears up my instructor will watch me solo it around the pattern, the machine is ready and so am I.
I will more than likely have the 40 hr flown off by bensen days and if so I will demo it at Bensen days. I just hope weather permits. I am running out of time,It's around the corner. and also if the 40 hr is flown off by Bensen days the price goes up. the only reason I droped the price down is for someone to get a chance at buying it for less and take it now.:yo:

Hello Tim,
by the Faa I am the desanated person to complet the 40 hrs. If i where to sell it before the 40 hr is flown off, the person that buys it will have to complet phase 1 (first 40 hr) and then turn in the paper work to prov it. and that takes time and the right contacts and can be confuseing to someone. so with that being said, If I where to sell it now that would make it worth someones time to complet. Its no cake walk to complet all that is required in paper work and certificates for a inspection/phase 1 and 2 on a new build for experimental aircraft. I have tons of hr just in paper work/logs and inspection paper work on this machine. every thing was done by the books. the DAR was really impressed with all I had done with this build process in my reserch and paper/build process. I hope this makes good sience to all that was wondering the same thing. I had rather complet the phase 1 before selling the machine but there is people out there that can get all that is required done and dont mind to save some bucks and get a good deal. I am glade you ask Tim, so i can explane the hole reasons behind the sell. thanks.

you get 450# of thrust from a DD EA82--Wow!! BTW what diameter and pitch prop are you using?

If it already has an Airworthiness Certification and N numbers, shouldn't it just need a log book entry after completion of Phase 1?

And does the original builder have to make the entry?

Lsa ??

Lsa ??

Is this gyro a LSA or "Homebuilt Experimental" .. thanks.
what i mean is - do you need a full Private Pilot licence
to fly it? ....... thanks.

Is this gyro a LSA or "Homebuilt Experimental" .. thanks.
what i mean is - do you need a full Private Pilot licence
to fly it? ....... thanks.

As long as it's gross weight is less than 1320lbs then it meets the definition of a Light Sport aircraft.

Meaning you can fly it either as a Sport Pilot with a Gyroplane rating. Or as a Private "anything" as long as you have a current medical and fly solo only.

I know that one. It is Experimental -- Amateur Built. You need a light sport gyrocopter license (or greater) to fly the machine. I've seen the machine up close (and sat in it). Billy is an excellent mechanic, and it shows in the work he has done in the machine. It is a very comfortable gyro.

Timchick said:
Why is it priced higher with more hours on it?

I think what Billy is doing here is putting a value on his time, fuel and paperwork for finishing the Phase 2 section of the airworthiness. Once that is complete, there is no further fiddling necessary... it is a known comodity...just fly it. That would seem to have more value than a machine where the Phase 2 is in process. There would be some fiddling to get all that transferred before the end of Phase 2. The remaining hours on the engine to complete Phase 2 would seem to be a lesser concern IMO.

Chuck Roberg said:
Or as a Private "anything" as long as you have a current medical and fly solo only.

Are you saying that a current private FW pilot can fly a single-place gyro legally if the gyro falls in the light sport weight class? I'm not doubting you, but I was not aware of that. Can you quote FAR "Chapter and Verse" please...I'd like to read that section, as it applies to me.

Thanks!

*JC*

Jon is right,,, the price is lowerd for the reason of my time and also for the time of someone els. it goes both ways. My time is worth alot to me and your's is too.

And it is , exp/am/built.

Mike I will get the spec from the prop and post them, I cant for the life of me remember the exact numbers right off.
Wayne Stargell sold me the prop, Maybe he can chime in and make light of that !

I just rememberd ,,,, I have my log book here for the aircraft log, it should have that in it. (52x26) Arrow prop, 2 blade wood prop.

Billy, what RPM does the engine turn at wide open throttle?

Typically, a direct drive Subaru will only turn up to 3500-4000 rpms max, and most subarus make their rated HP at a much higher rpm, somewhere over 5000 rpms.

Take a EA-81 for example, most are rated at around 78-80 hp in the car. But in a gyro, connected to a 52x26 inch prop, they only turn the prop at 3500-3800 rpms. Tie this same gyro to a accurate scale and the thrust produced is typically around 300 pounds.

A Rotax 503 powered gyro ( 52 hp, but coupled to a larger diameter prop ) makes about the same 300 lbs of thrust.

That would lead a person to believe that in direct drive applications, a EA-81 makes about 50-55 real world HP in the gyro application.

The EA-82 is more powerful than the EA-81, due to overhead cams and other improvements. Displacement is the same, but the engine can breath better, boosting HP. With some hop ups such as cams and whatnot, a EA-82 could produce a fair amount more HP than a EA-81, 90-110 HP at max rated rpms. In a direct drive application, it would still have more power, but not significantly more, maybe 10-15 more HP. My guess is 60-70 real world hp.

The fact that your turning a 52 by 28 inch prop instead of the 26 inch prop EA-81 users turn, shows that the engine has more grunt than a typical EA-81.

The only thing I question is the thrust rating. I would expect it to produce about the same thrust as a Rotax 582 produces, somewhere in the 325-350 lbs range. Not over 400 pounds. Of course some scales can give false readings.

Either way, it is a nice gyro, and one thing that has real appeal to a direct drive Subaru powerplant is they are extremely simple and nearly bullet proof. No redrive to worry about and just a simple engine chugging along as well under it's max rpms. Parts are very reasonable too.

JC, can't give you a FAR number to look at, but it is well known fact, that unless the aircrafts specific operating limitations state otherwise, any person holding a valid private or higher rating ( and valid medical ) can fly ANY Amatuer built experimental registered aircraft without a class specific add on or rating. You must be up to date on your private rating and your medical too.... and you CAN NOT carry any passengers, but can fly solo. This means a private pilot ( airplane ) can fly a experimental gyro or even helicopter, without any sign offs or ratings whatsoever, so as long as the pilot is current and medical is current, is flying solo, and the aircrafts operating limitations aren't worded in a way to specify a class and type rating ( most OL's Don't.... )

Sport pilot, and if or not if the aircraft meets the definition of a light sport aircraft is irrelevant.

Ron, I can only get 3200 on the rpm's wide open in static.

Wayne, I think the prop has stamped on the hub (52x26). Thats what i also put in the log book, but the next time i go out to the airport I will check it out to make sure.

Also Ron, the scale that was used on the thrust test is a well used one and might not be accurate, with all this being said I think I should try it again with a new one. Can anyone tell me where to find a good accurate scale ??

The day I did the test I also had the gyro on the trailor straped down tight, and at full power I could stand my flag in my front yard stright out and its about 300 ft from where the gyro was. this thing will blow your close off or even pill your skin back on your face when you stand behind it, and not real close at that. It really suprised me. I have about 18 years exp. with Aircraft of all kinds, and alot of build exp. to go with it. And when I tell you this gyro is strong thats what I mean. Im not being smart about it or nothing like that guys, just trying to be truthful about the sell to someone that is interested in buying it. I really appreciate all input from all and look forward to finding a happy home for this gyro so someone can enjoy many years of safe flying with it. Thanks again for all your input.:peace:

Billy
This is a sad and happy moment. When I think of how far you have come with that gyro to sell it and start over....wow! I know how you feel about building them. I am trying to decide on whether my next project will be a true ultralight or something really fast.