" LODA Crap " Roy Beisswenger gives the FAA both barrels.

In terms of getting LSA approval:
I suspect the law will only change if and when at least one manufacturer meets ASTM consensus stds, then hires a lobbyist or works himself through his congressional representatives to both jump thru the FAA's new hoops (an FAA monitored test program) and ASSURE that when the hoops are cleared he gets a green light. This is a long term and somewhat expensive project.

In the interim the industry (PRA, EAA)could confront the FAA on the LODA issue as it is clearly NOT contributing to safety.

The PRA has no voice with the FAA.

Having an "FAA Watchdog" was considered by 24% of the respondents, to the PRA's recent survey, to be the most essential focus of the PRA.
By contrast, only 2.4 % voted the digital magazine as most essential.

Last edited:
Tom,

I found the EAA's Earl Lawrence willing to help PRA and gyros with the FAA. But clearly PRA needs to enroll their help in a coherent program with a specific goal.

I find it interesting that in almost every issue of AOPA Pilot and EAA Sport Pilot the Editor's front page opinion piece talks about how desperately we need new pilots and pushes programs like YOung Eagles. LSA was supposed to make possible under 100K aircraft to get new people into the sport- that did not happen.
Of regular new pilot starts 78% do not finish up their PPL. A 78% drop out rate is astonishing!!

I think if we can show that gyros and trikes and PPC's are likely to get people into the sport because of actual aircraft under 100K or under 75K and lower hurdles to the ticket then we would have tons of support from EAA and maybe even AOPA which is even stronger on Capitol Hill.

Yes, the FAA listens to the show.

Yes, the FAA listens to the show.

Those who have listened to the interview, what do you think?

Does this kind of head on exposure of the FAA's mismanagement of the ELSA and LODA issues HELP or HURT the sport?

Based on the response I've received so far, it is helping the sport to the point that I believe that we'll have a positive resolution for gyroplanes as well as powered parachutes, trikes and low speed/high drag airplanes by the end of the year.

Greg Gremminger has done a lot of work behind the scenes to affect change at many different levels for gyroplanes as have the folks at the EAA.

The radio interviews were calculated to get a political response, which may have been the bump that AFS800 needed to look at the LODA again this quickly. Or it may have been Greg's efforts. Or it may have been the EAA's. Or it may have been a combination of inputs. It has been a team effort all along.

Bottom line, I believe CFI's now have a reason to hope that this and other issues will be resolved so that we can continue to train in experimental aircraft with LODA's in hand.

Roy
http://www.psfradio.com
http://www.psfmagazine.com

The PRA has no voice with the FAA.

Having an "FAA Watchdog" was considered by 24% of the respondents, to the PRA's recent survey, to be the most essential focus of the PRA.
By contrast, only 2.4 % voted the digital magazine as most essential.

Not true.

The choice read: PRA Rights Watchdog, advisor & online petition.

A watchdog is not an FAA voice but someone watching ALL attacks on our rights, TSA, FAA, Local, State and National and communicates the danger to the membership.

An online petition allows members to easily send their opinion to the offending attacker on our rights. A desirable function for the new web site according to the membership.

Also, you read the numbers wrong as it was a spread ranking.

"Professional Web Site with members only section" actually scored higher overall.

The data is pretty clear, 54.0% favor a digital magazine with a lower cost of dues which is what the BOD voted to enact.

Why the bizarre cherry picking of data Tom? You should not bring your personal dislikes here.

You should not bring your personal dislikes here.

Pot, meet kettle.

As it turns out, Tim, I think Tom made a valid observation. You can try to define an online thingy vs. a real life advocate. Fact is, it would appear that members are concerned about having an advocate for the sport. It is probably one of the main reasons people join AOPA and EAA.

Roy

Tim
I canceled my survey, because I felt the information could be misconstrued. I may have read into it to deeply, but I wasn't able to quantify my answers with an explanation.
Russ

If I may add my 2 cts to this, even though not impacted.

Tom Milton often emphasized that there are very reasonable people in the FAA who have but the best intentions.
Apparently this does not apply to all, because obstructing training efforts is an incredible thing to do.

Therefore a well tuned provokation may shake things up a bit and make people think.

Actually, launching a press campaign with the general direction of "The FAA is hindering training , thus provoking accidents and loss of lives" would get some attention in the general public. However, if this gets too heated, non-LSA sports flying may be prohibited all together "for safety reasons". That's why a lower profile "assault" like this one may be a better approach.

Just leaning back and watching people die due to lack of training and CFIs at the same time going out of business does not seem to be an option.

Kai.

Not true.

The choice read: PRA Rights Watchdog, advisor & online petition.

A watchdog is not an FAA voice but someone watching ALL attacks on our rights, TSA, FAA, Local, State and National and communicates the danger to the membership.

An online petition allows members to easily send their opinion to the offending attacker on our rights. A desirable function for the new web site according to the membership.

Also, you read the numbers wrong as it was a spread ranking.

"Professional Web Site with members only section" actually scored higher overall.

The data is pretty clear, 54.0% favor a digital magazine with a lower cost of dues which is what the BOD voted to enact.

Why the bizarre cherry picking of data Tom? You should not bring your personal dislikes here.

TIM

Not "Bizarre Cherry Picking" I guess I am confused about the "survey" results.

I should have disregarded the survey completly,as it was certainly flawed and probably didn't represent the average PRA member.

I have but one goal in my posts, to foster the growth and utility of the PRA.

If you read other things into my posts, it is not my problem.

I do thank you for entering into this thread. I don't like being the un-official spokesman for the PRA.

Forum readers:

Tim and I have exchanged e-mails regarding my alleged infidelity to the PRA. I have made my position clear to him and I hope we can continue on as friends. Never doubt my loyalty to the PRA.

Based on the response I've received so far, it is helping the sport to the point that I believe that we'll have a positive resolution for gyroplanes as well as powered parachutes, trikes and low speed/high drag airplanes by the end of the year.....

Bottom line, I believe CFI's now have a reason to hope that this and other issues will be resolved so that we can continue to train in experimental aircraft with LODA's in hand.

Roy

Hi Roy

I asked the original question to get some conversation going on the subject. I guess it worked.

I enjoy your show, and make a point to listen whenever you have Greg or any RotorCraft related subject posted.

Thanks for posting here to give your point of view.

Mark

If I may add my 2 cts to this, even though not impacted.

.........................Just leaning back and watching people die due to lack of training and CFIs at the same time going out of business does not seem to be an option.

Kai.

You are so right !

Mark

As long as I jumped in, I might as well address some other issues that have been brought up on this forum:

- The LODA issue will probably not be an issue for gyroplanes. I can't explain more right now, but thanks to the work of the EAA and Roy Beisswinger, the FAA has provide an exception or path for gyroplanes - since they do recognize now that we have no other training option than in Experimental gyroplanes. I discussed this with Roy on his radio show as much as we could. The FAA position on this LODA issue MAY be the result of raising the temperature enough to get the right attention!

- The Rotorcraft Directorate does now appear to be working with us - on several issues confronting gyroplanes. In fact I can say they are now looking very supportive. I can't say much here right now because we have not fully determined the path that will be taken. But, the common goals of the FAA Rotorcraft Directorate and the gyroplane community - improved safety, improved training availability, and a path to an eventual factory-built option - are in the works. At least the communication channels are now open and all the major gyro issues are on the table - now in one place (the right place) in the FAA. This will undoubtedly require a lot more work, but the RD is also dedicating rsources toward these goals as well. It will take time, and I cannot discuss further right now - but I have recently seen a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. (I got to tell you, Roy Beiswinger and the EAA helped open this door!) We may be calling on some of you and others for some help along the way as needed, so I hope everyone we need will also help out if/when called on. (The major need I can foresee might be some ASTM committee participation - but this still needs to be determined).

- Thanks, Greg

Thank You Greg for saying what you can.

(reprinted from another topic thread)