how old is the youngest licensed gyro pilot?

mxaexm

There are not too many young people flying gyros. How is the youngest gyro pilot up there? I'm taking youngest licensed pilot.

I'm 25 years old..not flying gyros yep but hopefully within the next few years.

The reason for this is most young people dont have the money to learn to fly or buy a machine. I'm 28. There are some others on the form that are in their upper 20s as well. I can think of 4.

I think it is easier for someone in their teens to justify saving and spending on something that could lead to an occupation. I recall having that idea in the back of my mind when I got my Fixed-Wing license at 17. It took a lot of effort to save for the enterprise, and thinking that I might one day fly for a living seemed a reasonable justification. I believe I would have seen a gyroplane license as just an expensive hobby at that age, and didn't need any more expensive hobbies during that period in my life.

How about youngest instructor? I am not that young but gyros are adult entertainment.

I think it is easier for someone in their teens to justify saving and spending on something that could lead to an occupation...

Bingo! A gyroplane certificate is a commitment to a recreational pursuit, while fixed-wing and helicopter students can at least dream about finding employment flying.

Gyros generally also can't be rented, at least in the US, so unless you buy your own, there's no way to solo or stay current after you get your pilot certificate.

The father and son from Lincolnton, NC that bought my single seat Soma gyro is training with Gary Neal in SC. Last I heard the son was picking it up VERY fast and doing well. I am only guessing but he is probably 14 or 15 years old. I am certain that he isn't driving a car yet.

I'm 23 and building a KB-2 from a set of plans right now. Should be completed around May hopefully. I'll be posting some pics soon.

Nice to hear of young blood in the sport, but yes a few good reasons mentioned why not many young participate. Actually come to think approximately how many gyro pilots are there in the US anyway?

Time and money figure quite large and since there are not many opportunities for making money flying with them only the very keen young, or those exposed by the father son thing will probably get into it.

Dave's long experience is a major reason why I want my son to learn with him. My instructor over here has been in the sport for over thirty years and that sort of knowledge base is a huge asset to be working with.

I'm pretty much typical young guy who is spending money on flying airplanes-secretly hoping to make career out of flying..we will see about that;).

I haven't flown a gyro yet but hopefully in the spring I will be able to find somebody with a two seater gyro.

My goal is to build Dominator gyro withing the next few years but once again this "hobby" has to wait once I will be where I want to be as far as my career goes...

I started flying at 7 with the umbrela off the roof, I didn't have my sport pilot umbrella rating and the ground hurt like hell! took a long time to learn flying wasn't a game! :yo:

Im 24, Started flying Gyro's At 20, before that started Gliding at 15 with some Powered Fixed wing inbetween.

Expensive Hobby? Hell yeah! but well and truely worth the expense and commitment.

I've always liked gyro's from a kid, When i first saw one flying overhead that was it, it was all that i wanted,

What is the age limit for certified gyro license in the various countries? Here in Germany it is 16 for training, 17 for license; for glider you can start training at 14 (a bit before with a special permit) and certified at 16. My son soloed a glider a week after his 14th birthday.

No one anwsered the kids question.

I am a licensed gyro pilot, and got my gyro rating at age 35.

I purchased my RAF at 28. I soloed the same year and will have my ppl this year at 29. My long term goal may be to get my cfi by 31? We will see how the cards play out with pic time and $$.
Brad

Last edited:
You mean when he soloed, don't you?

I gave my pregnant sister a ride so that my niece could start before she was even born.

I was just sixteen when I first “flew” my Bensen gyrocopter ….. without any license …without any permit to fly … without any registration … and the worst, without any instructions. I learned to fly by myself from the book.
Bensen construction plans costed $20.00 that time and included a set of trim taps for the rotor blades. I still remember the first time when I brought the gyro to a small abandoned airfield for my first steps with the blades on. When the nose wheel lifted four-five inches off the ground the feeling was as if I was 1000 ft in the air.
I did not get panic, but it took more than a month to persuade myself to continue and try again.

Last edited:
The father and son from Lincolnton, NC that bought my single seat Soma gyro is training with Gary Neal in SC. Last I heard the son was picking it up VERY fast and doing well. I am only guessing but he is probably 14 or 15 years old. I am certain that he isn't driving a car yet.

We both started lessons last year. At that time, Joey was 13. Gary says that Joey is doing better than his dad, (dang, but I sure am proud of him). Joey will hopefully be flying solo by or before he turns 15 (August). Gary, if you're reading this, we truly are coming back soon to realize our dreams of flying. By the way, Gary is a great instructor. :cool:

i started 35 years ago at 19 on a benson and im not dead yet. self taught, were no instructors back then, no license, no bull like now, but now theres many poorly educated people out there that needs common sense help. im retired now and getting back into it again big time,plus planes- going to open two runways in two countys .