My New Gyro

Passing Tru, I was not offended and me and the boy had a good laugh about that I told him someone would notice. Rick the air filter that is on the engine came with it and work great so I saw no reason to replace it. The mast on this airframe type does lean forward 2 degrees so it is not an optical illusion. The front wheel sterring system is the same as the KB and the benson with the front wheel scrub brake, I do plan to put a better brake system on it some time in the future. As for the prerot and throtle it is built for now to Martin Hollmans design and if I find no problem with the way the system works then I will leave it alone if it becomes combersom at times then I will most likey redesign the whole system for better ease of operation.

Thanks for the explanations Dan. It's been a long time since I researched the Bumble Bee. But now that you explain about the mast, I guess I do remember about the reversed angle.

Good luck with your machine.

Well I just got back from LOWES with a sheet of 1/2 inch polystrine blue foam for my tail. I should have the tail group within the next week and a 1/2 and some were in there I will find time whiel fiberglass is hardining to finsh the head as well so I can get the plane down to Chris Burgess to check over for me.

Ok my tail feathers are cut out now I have to make the hard points and glass them up.

Dan

Attachments

• tail 2.jpg
    tail 2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 0
  • tail 3.jpg
    tail 3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
  • tail 4.jpg
    tail 4.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 0
  • tail1.jpg
    tail1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
Ok I still have the tail feathers under work but thought I would post me new addition to the gyro for you guys to see. This cam off a logitec xplane controller. The white part is the platic part that goes inside the grip. I am going to machine a new connector just like the plastic one to fit inside the grip and inside my stick tube. This will provide a much more comfortable grip and for a better location for the grip. I will post more pics as I go along today.

Attachments

• grip.jpg
    grip.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 0
Ok here is the finished stick handle now I have to cut the other stick down and mount the handle.

Attachments

• grip 2.jpg
    grip 2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
  • grip 3.jpg
    grip 3.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 0
  • grip 4.jpg
    grip 4.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 0
  • grip 5.jpg
    grip 5.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 0
Just wanted to let everyone know I am a proud PRA memeber now. You are all right we need to support the organization that supports us JOIN THE PRA do your part.

Dan

Just wanted to let everyone know I am a proud PRA memeber now. You are all right we need to support the organization that supports us JOIN THE PRA do your part.

Dan
way to go Dan, I just joined my self the other day.

BTW are you going to make it to ROC at Goose creek in oct.?

No I am sorry I will not be making any of the flyins or conventions this year with this new job I have no leave built up to go anywhere. I still hope to get some flight training in this summer with Chris Burgess if my other airframe sells that is.

Dan
Join and support the PRA

Dan the pictures of your tail look so cool! It reminded me of those airplane models maid of foam we use to punch out and put together.
Sorry you can't make it to the flyins and conventions, you got to go next year it would be great to meet you.

And thank you for being part of the solution and joining the PRA!!!

I am looking forward to meeting alot of you guys that have helped me along the way. Yourslef All In. Timchick, Minasota Mike, Animal, Rasie, Dennis Fetters, Chuck Batty, Master Rotor, Dirty Dog, just to mane a few and there are alot more and if I spelt your name wrong I am sorry. This has been the most fun I have had in 24 years. I love being retired from the Army now.

Dan Support the PRA join today.

We'll cross paths someday soon Dan.
I'm tweaking and sawing and drilling, etc.
But it will take me time and some cash flow (not to mention training next year) to get to that point. My Baby is looking good...accumulating Pic's for a build thread.
By the time she's up and I'm ready...you will be too...maybe you and I & the rest can hang at Mentone next year...we'll see.
In the mean time lots to do.

M-M

Oh I will be at Benson days and menton next year for sure unless they send me out of the country.

dan

support the PRA, Join today

Here are the tail feathers with the rounded edges and the hard points in. Now I have to glass them and paint them up. This was made out of 1/2 inch foam from LOWES for about $10 a sheet and 1/2 inch plywood for hard points and bit of wood glue works real well used the same method for my other tails. Also used my router table with a 1/4 round over bit real clean edge.

Attachments

• tail 5.jpg
    tail 5.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • tail 6.jpg
    tail 6.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 0
Fiberglass, I will post the size and type of glass with pics on how I done them in the next few days so stay tuned.

Ok here is an update. You can see I used plan black trash bags to set up my table the glass will not stick to it very good. You can see how I would do a corner just cut up to the edge and then glass or wet out one end at a time and then wet the other over the top to make a good strong coner and ensure you pu on enough to cover the edges deep enough to have hold power and not pull up from the foam. In the morning I will do the last edge and one side of each piece. I am taking my time so I can get the cleanest an smotthest finish I can get so as not to have to sand alot. I use a plastic sqeegi to get the excess glass out of the cloth. You can also see I am useing 7781-60 cloth this is just a bit heaver than I used for my other tails but this way I only have to use one ply and it will be very light and strong.

Attachments

• Tail 7.jpg
    Tail 7.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Tail 10.jpg
    Tail 10.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Tail 9.jpg
    Tail 9.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Tail 8.jpg
    Tail 8.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 0
  • tail 11.jpg
    tail 11.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
  • tail 12.jpg
    tail 12.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0
Tail update, NOTE place a new plastic cover over your table or the dryed glass from the day befor will come off and stick to the part you are woorking on. We have completed glassing all the parts and now they have to set up so I can glass them together.

Guestion? does featherlite work in the same afsion as bondo, meaning does it form into a past that I can spread easyly and then sand to a nice smooth surface. I need somthing like bondo to spead thinly to even out the surfaces so I can get a nice clean finish to make the tails look great.

Oh by the way I hate glassing.

Dan

Mike the glass I used is aroepoxy from aircraft spruce. You will also need to get the pump kit for the cans it will make easy to measure this stuff out.

Attachments

• tail 13.jpg
    tail 13.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
  • tail 14.jpg
    tail 14.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 0
  • tail 15.jpg
    tail 15.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 0
  • tail 16.jpg
    tail 16.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0
  • tail 17.jpg
    tail 17.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
  • tail 18.jpg
    tail 18.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 0
I just ordered the 3M light filler drys tack free in 15 to 20 minuets. I should be able to spread this thinly and obtain a good smooth surface after sanding. Thesed feathers should come out very smooth and strong all for about 4 1/2 lbs total if they come out that much.

Dan