Tim O'Conner Pilot

Tim,

I appreciate the comments and consideration of not wanting to "infringe" on me, Gary Goldsberry, and Ed Newbold. I don't see it as "our territory". I see it as, the more CFIs the better. Whether you decide to do some CFI work now and then, occasionally, or every waking moment, the more people out there who can get good gyro instruction will make the skies safer for us all. Personally, I'm hoping you get the CFI soon. Not for any kind of competition, rather to be able to introduce even more interested people to gyros.

Your comment about side-by-side instruction reminded me of a discussion I had with Ron Menzie and Steve McGowan earlier this year. The interesting views were that some instructors preferred side-by-side so they could better show a student something. I suggested tandem's benefits because the student does not have the "security" of seeing the instructor. S/he may then be more inclined to rely on him or herself. But, that's one of the reasons of having more CFIs are good. You have a side-by-side....I have the tandem. Students in this area could get instruction in both machines and may develop an even better overall feel and skill for gyro flight.

Just a thought.....

Steve

Thanks Steve!

The SxS is a long way off. I can't seem to put enough time together to keep up with the routine maintenance on my motorcycles and yard much less rebuild my AirCommand.

Right now Connie's, Rotax 912 is giving me issues and I still have not sold my BMW motorcycle to pay off my new VStrom 650.

Maybe I can work out a deal to give people 'free' CFI hours in exchange for hours worked on my AirCommand?? I'd know they would do a good job because they might be flying in it!! ;)

I see your point on the tandem advantage. I guess it would also be better for single place 'transition' training.

Have you heard about the "Train as you Fly" method?

http://www.asa2fly.com/Train-Like-You-Fly-Guide-to-Scenario-Based-Training--P931_product1.aspx

How goes the parsons?

We need to get Randy to schedule a Chap 40 meeting soon.

Attachments

• Mentone 2009 set 3 sony 034.jpg
    Mentone 2009 set 3 sony 034.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Tim,

Congrat's on your commercial rating. I really appreciate you taking the initiative and time to give me a one on one briefing in the middle of the day when I arrived at Mentone. Gestures like this don't go unnoticed. I appreciate everything you do for the hobby we all love.

Haven't logged in for a few days and just saw this. Well done, Tim! Congratulations!

Neil

...Can you get a LODA before you are a CFI?

Tim, my understanding is that the LODA is granted to the owner of a machine for that particular machine, and is not tied to any instructor in particular. There will be minimum experience requirements stated in the LODA for any instructor to use your machine for training, but any instructor who qualifies could then use it.

Thanks Neil!!

Paul,

Thank you! That is good news. When I start getting close to CFI check ride time I can get started on the LODA too and perhaps not have a gap?

Maybe with a LODA I could 'lend' my TS to instructors that have a machine down or not present at an event?

...Maybe with a LODA I could 'lend' my TS to instructors that have a machine down or not present at an event?

Exactly, but if you're going to be compensated for the use of the machine, even for the direct costs, your LODA request will need to seek exemption from both the restriction against instruction in an experimental, and the restriction against leasing an experimental.

(FAR references in post #12 of this thread.)

Exactly, but if you're going to be compensated for the use of the machine, even for the direct costs, your LODA request will need to seek exemption from both the restriction against instruction in an experimental, and the restriction against leasing an experimental.

(FAR references in post #12 of this thread.)

Have they granted this exemption for others in the past?

Tim,
Does this mean that the next time I ride with you, I'll have to PAY?

Only if you can come up with a non-experimental gyroplane!

:boink: It might cost you as much as a beer after all the flying is over...

Congrats Tim

Congrats Tim

say one thing for ya... Ya Gots Potential ! Hell you may be the Prez in a few years..

Wouldn't surprise me atoll..

say one thing for ya... Ya Gots Potential ! Hell you may be the Prez in a few years..

Wouldn't surprise me atoll..

Thanks Steve!

I hope I won't be prez in a few years! I have already bittin off more than I can chew.

It's like trying to drink from a fire-hose!

Congratulations, Tim!

You will be a great instructor, I enjoy your written as well as in-flight instructions which you posted on youtube.

Kai.