Greetings from Germany

rookie

Aircraft
PA22 / CRJ
Total Flight Time
10000+
Hi Folks around the World,
greetings from Germany from my side. Not only a new member here, I am also quite new to Gyros as well. Great source of information and tips. Many thanks for that to you all!
As I have 10000Hrsplus on f/w A/C, experience in building Kit- and rebuilding certified A/C, my new goal is building and operating a Gyro. Despite all the others advantages, owning and maintaining is a lot cheaper (No Hangar, No Avgas, lower Landing fees, cheaper Maintenance....) and it falls into the Ultralight category in Europe (max 2 seats, up to 450kg MTOM)
I like building and as time is no factor, I wanted to try a plans build 2-seater.
(Except Rotor, Engine and welding, but I have a excellent and cheap welding facility on hand...)
So my question is: Are there any plans out there ? Barnett is out of business, and Twinstarr still sells no plans for the Twinstarrlite. Does anybody know somebody who is willing to sell his Barnett J4B2 plans? Any other tips or possibilities?

Waiting for your replies, many thanks in advance!

Best regards

Robert
(P.S. hopefully I can change my name in a few years....)

Greetings and welcome to the forum!!!

fly before your build

fly before your build

Hello Robert, welcome to the forum.

I would suggest that you learn how to fly a gyroplane before deciding on which one to build.

Thank you, Vance

Hello Robert.

Training and experience is the most important thing.. so learn a lot from the forum and get training. After that decide what you want to built.

My suggestions will be for a single set first.... then move to a 2 seat as kit built.

You can sell your single in a later stage and built a 2 seat. finding a "GOOD AND SAFE" 2 seat to built from kit will be a bit hard.

We as manufacturers (as well as some other well respected manufacturers) do not sell 2 seat kits to novices... so getting training, then getting experience with a single seat its the safest way to go.

Hi Robert,

As you can tell, you are not the only German here. Good luck on your endeavour. I recommend, you cooperate with the DAEC on your build, in order to get approval.

Plans for dual-seaters are not so frequent. Have you already showed up in the German Forum? I only know of one forum member who has built a gyro, but it was approved in France, so far. I believe his plans came from Eric Changeur.

Kai.

Welcome, Robert!

At your current stage, you might be better served by a machine with more examples flying, and at least some support. Use the private messaging here on the forum to directly contact owners of machines which interest you, and conduct diligent research.

Fly safe!

How about going Jon "All_in"' Rountree's way and get one of Nicholas "Aviomania"' Cypriotic machines? :)

-- Chris.

Welcome Robert! I'm amazed how well our friends from other countries can speak and write English….something I am challenged at, and I was born here. I do know how to say "thank you" in German….but don't ask me to spell it.

The Dominator single place gyro has plans for sale if you want to build most of it yourself and they can be found here: http://www.rotorflightdynamicsinc.com/pricelist.html
They also have kits available.

Nicolas's Aviomania G1sa can be purchased as a kit and the information can be found here: http://www.aviomania.com/product-1.htm

Both of these machines are safe and well designed. I agree that you should start your gyro experience with a single place.

How about going Jon "All_in"' Rountree's way and get one of Nicholas "Aviomania"' Cypriotic machines? :)

-- Chris.

Yaw Mon!!! Robert it is one sweet machine!!! :wave:
Robert it took me a very long time to learn enough to be able to select a stable ride let alone choose the one that was the right choice for my needs. In addition, full disclosure requires I tell you Nicolas has made me an agent representing him in the United States. However, I selected his design on merit and I felt it suited my needs the best and its all 1st quality and state-of the-art!
The other single place manufactures I had selected and would also own and recommend are:
Dominators
SportCopters
-----
In addition I have been told, by someone that should know, that of the “Bee’s” the Hornet is the best.

Check them out!

http://www.aviomania.com/

YouTube - Aviomania-Playing with speed. 84 to 15 mph in 2.5 seconds

YouTube - Aviomania, 99th hour of Test Flight

Hi Robert,

I just extended my fixed wing licences to gyro and I'am looking also for a project to complete.
Check this site: http://www.gdt-systems.com/body.asp
and talk to Aviomania. May be you will find what you are looking for. However, as you probably know, here in Germany you are supposed to walk a very long way untill you succeed in building a gyro.
Have a nice day
Guenter

Many thanks guys,
training is nearly done ( on an relatively old MT03 ), so I have flown a gyro. That`s why I am "infected". The problem with the single seater is that you have the same amount of work and time building it as with a two seat machine ( which can be flown single seat as well....) . I don`t think that my wife will support me building two aircraft even more with the long way to go through the instances of certification.....But many thanks for your tips and links, the market is bigger than I thought, and I will take my time finding the right thing for me (and charter meanwhile)
Experimental gyros are quite rare in Europe, and all certified machines are in Ultralight category as there are no rules for certification of larger Gyros ( that`s the problem for Celier Aviation with their XenonXL 3 seater) Kits are too expensive for me as a plans build aircraft can be build as my creditcard allows (another reason to do it only once with the 2 seats). The reason why I asked for the J4B2 is that I thought it is the only one available with a reasonable performance on an modern fuelsaving engine if converted to BMW or Rotax. Not possible with the Sportster and a Lycoming Engine. So, these where my thoughts so far and again

MANY THANKS TO YOU ALL!!!!!

Happy landings

Robert

@ed: Many thanks for your comment on my english and may thanks to Quickdic, the best dictionary available......

Robert: .....thanks for your comment on my english and may thanks to Quickdic, the best dictionary available......

Ich sehe, Sie haben einen Sinn für Humor.....Google ;).

We are fortunate in the U.S., that our FAA still allows experimental aircraft to be built and flown by its people, without a bunch of hassles.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Robert :) Wilkommen :) I think you just found the best source of gyro information in the whole world. I guarantee that.