Sport Pilot Fly-in, tour of local airports from a GA.

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
My local sport pilot club had it's first fly-in meeting of the year.

My gyro is undergoing maintance so I flew with my friend in his Cessna 172.

We flew around many of the local fields and met up with other pilots on the way to the meeting.

Here are a few of the photos from the trip and the meeting.

I am trying a Flicker account for hosting in this post. Please let me know if you have any problems with the photos not showing in your browser. Thanks!

2484483323_02fda8bd88_b.jpg

2485299070_edf3de458d_o.jpg

2485300618_8928a5fdef_b.jpg

2485301956_abdb23f74d_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2242/2484486899_28184fb22e_b.jpg[/IMG]

Beautiful pictures, looks like fun to me!
Thanks for sharing,
John

Oh ya way cool toys!
John

Tim, looks like you had a great day with great weather with a great EAA chapter !

What are you doing to the gyro ? Are you working on the SxS ?

The weather here is really starting to suck ! Although yesterday was nice enough to have a picnic for our Moms.

BTW .....I have ALWAYS liked the Quicksilver for it's simplicity !

Oh ya way cool toys!
John

Excellent photos.

Thanks Guys!!!

Tim, looks like you had a great day with great weather with a great EAA chapter !

What are you doing to the gyro ? Are you working on the SxS ?

The weather here is really starting to suck ! Although yesterday was nice enough to have a picnic for our Moms.

BTW .....I have ALWAYS liked the Quicksilver for it's simplicity !

Chris,

Thanks! yes, it was a great day! Actually, it is a sport pilot club not EAA but many of us are also members of the local EAA chapter (and some of us also members of the local PRA chapter...).

My SxS is in the workshop but I have not done much with it. I don't have the $$ for prob, blades and tail yet so I have not been very motovated.

I also have to get my boat sold and that is costing me $$ every month I don't have it sold.

Saturday the weather was GREAT but Sunday it was crap. I am actually not minding the bad weather so much since my gyro is down for maintance. I don't feel like I am missing quite so many flying days!

We have 2 quick silvers for sale right now. The white one in the group photo and another singleplace that did not fly in.

Tim that was a great set of photos. Not being too computer minded I have had some of gyro flying in Africa I would like to post for a while.

Is Flicker something that would allow me to post big photos that size because those you just posted really do allow one to get the full impact of the picture.

You have always posted great shots but I really like the size.

Tim that was a great set of photos. Not being too computer minded I have had some of gyro flying in Africa I would like to post for a while.

Is Flicker something that would allow me to post big photos that size because those you just posted really do allow one to get the full impact of the picture.

You have always posted great shots but I really like the size.

Thanks!

There are a number of photo hosting web sites. I am trying out Flicker because the performance and outages of webshots has become annoying.

You can setup a free account by going to: http://www.flickr.com/

After you setup your account then download the tools for bulk uploads.

After you upload your picture(s) click on the 'sizes' icon at the top of the photo.

Cut and past the URL into the dialog box you get here on the forum when you click on the
insertimage.gif
button.

And you are done!

One added benifit is that if you take the time to write discriptions for your photos people searching the site can learn about gyros and some search engines might pick it up also.

One added benifit is that if you take the time to write discriptions for your photos people searching the site can learn about gyros and some search engines might pick it up also.
Great taking this and making it part of the training package for new chapters at least.

Get everyone on the same promotion page and making it easier with step-by-step instruction for the chapters to be able to get setup and online sooner will add value to being a member.

Good one,
John

Great pics. Now I wonder, what is the preferred solution for putting up photos here, include them or link them in?

Kai.

Great pics. Now I wonder, what is the preferred solution for putting up photos here, include them or link them in?

Kai.
I like the flicker accounts because you can post them once and include here and PRA photo gallery (in the future) and other sites at the same time.
I haven't actually use it but I believe that's it's major advantage.
Post once, then link to many sites less labor to advertise to many more sites.

Correct me if I'm wrong,
John

Kai.

Personal Prefs I think.

Uploading to the Rotary Forum:

Cons:

Small preview
Must reduce file size to <150k
When most people reduce to <150k they reduce resolution instead of file size resulting in a poor quality image.
Old (very old) browsers don't 'shrink-to-fit' high resolution images to the browser window.
Lots of people don't make the effort to click on the thumbnail to see the high resolution version.
Some photos look crappy in thumbnail but great ful size.

Pros:

Each photo has a 'hit count' so you can tell which photos the lurkers like
Easy Interface for new users.
Photos say with the forum (no single point of failure)
Photo thumbnails load quickly, or at least as fast as the forum page.
Virtually, no limit to the number of photos you can post.
You can actually post a larger resolution photo by uploading it to the forum. (Example Photo attached to this post. Click on the thumbnail to see what I mean.)

Uploading your files to an external host and displaying them in-line:

Cons:

If the photo site is slow or down so are the photos in your thread.
Dial-up users may find the thread takes a while to load because there are no thumbnails.
No hit count (at least specifically for the forum lurkers)
Somewhat trickyer interface on the forum at first glance for new users.

Pros:

Photo site displays in a large format so you don't have to click on thumbnails to view the photos (lazy people get full effect)
Uploaded photos can be any size. Host site automatically sizes them for web display.
Interface is faster and easyer to use (for power-users) then the interface for uploading photos. (just click the
insertimage.gif
button in the tool bar in the forums post edit view.)
It tickles the feet of the birds sitting on the phone lines.*
You are making your photos available to 2 places on the internet at once (larger audience).
Same photos can be used on other webpages or blogs with no additional uploading or sizing.

*Just wanted to see if anyone actually reads these....

LOOK at the MIG photo in line ABOVE THIS POST FIRST.

Then CLICK ON THE LITTLE MIG PHOTO BELOW. You will see that the maximum resolution for the forum is greater (if you have a 1024x768 monitor resolution or larger).

Attachments

• Mig Side sm.jpg
    Mig Side sm.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
@Tim
"It tickles the feet of the birds sitting on the phone lines"
Ya reading and laughing.

John

Thanks Tim. Copied pasted will work on that tomorrow.

John, you've either got the bug real hard, or like me are spending way too much time on this site. Don't tell me you had woman problems too.

Think you will do the sport a world of good, bucco enthusiasm.

Thanks, no "All In" is more than a handle. Only sleep about 4 hours a night, enjoy all of life the same way.

But I got the bug, bad!!!
Trying to learn everything I can about rotorcraft!
Searches reveal all!
Researching hang testing right now, a lot to learn, and I love learning!!!!!!

John

PS:
Actually working on beta testing of my own software, researching rotorcraft, writing PRA business plan outline, designing PRA web-site auto everything software, and every break check the new posts to see what you are going to teach me next.
I love this site!

Last edited:
Hmmm. I'm learning too but guess the big S on my chest fell off years ago.

I'm impressed, a tad envious and glad that you found something really fascinating to get your teeth into.

I'm enjoying, dreaming and plodding along, but I guess like you and others, ultimately enjoying joining the birds.

Go for it John.