Raoul Hafner Gyroplane from WW2 and off set delta hinge

Hi Poppa,

Sorry I cannot help with your research.
I am sure others here will be able to help.

I and others would be very interested in the drawings other information you have. Would you be so kind as to post it here or send scans by email ?

Mal,

a) personally I'd like to know a bit more about you, care to beef up your profile?
(Might help to assess what calibre of info we can throw at you...;-)

b) Benson drew on (at least) two sources: the rotachute and the Fa330 as explained
in this thread http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=341488&postcount=10

Did Benson really use delta 3 hinges in his gyro designs or did he just study the rotachute because it was an ultralight before the term was coined?

Looking forward to hearing from one more "offset off the trodden path' "

Cheers,

Juergen

Last edited:
Bensen, General Electric and the Rotochute.

Bensen, General Electric and the Rotochute.

Bensen and the Hafner Rotor chute

Last edited:
Last edited:
GE report 33200

GE report 33200

The report that was presented to GE

Last edited:
Thanks for those German Links

Thanks for those German Links

Forget to say thanks for those great links. Wonderful to see the Germans restoring there great aviation machinery from the war. There were some very clever designers around then. I do marvel at how clever and innovative they were then. The new FA-330 is a beautiful job. They used fabric on the blades with a large cord. Hafners blades are solid oak spars and covered with plywood with a very clever lead cup in the end for balancing and a smart brass
poppa leading edge at the tip for balance also.

Mal- .....pilot and machine were to be shoved out the back of an aeroplane and then the blades would open and auto rotate!!!

Interest in this technique has been renewed with the availability of small autopilots for UAVs
(But for cargo drop only, no one volunteered for manned beta tests so far...;-)

This MSC thesis:

A parametric analysis of the start-up procedure and flight characteristics of a gliding autogyro

is available here:

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/28910/60495046.pdf?sequence=1

Cheers,

Juergen

Last edited: